ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام

العودة   ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام > ساحة طلاب وطالبات الإنتظام > ملتقى طلاب الانتظام جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن (الدمام) > ملتقى كليات العلوم والأداب - جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن > منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام
التسجيل الكويزاتإضافة كويزمواعيد التسجيل التعليمـــات المجموعات  

منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام ; مساحة للتعاون و تبادل الخبرات بين طالبات كلية الآداب بالدمام و نقل آخر الأخبار و المستجدات .

موضوع مغلق

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1841
هتان7ano0
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية هتان7ano0
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 54978
تاريخ التسجيل: Sat Jul 2010
المشاركات: 656
الـجنــس : أنـثـى
عدد الـنقـاط : 78
مؤشر المستوى: 63
هتان7ano0 will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: عن ا?حراج
الدراسة: انتظام
التخصص: EnGLish
المستوى: المستوى السابع
 الأوسمة و جوائز  بيانات الاتصال بالعضو  اخر مواضيع العضو
هتان7ano0 غير متواجد حالياً
رد: Third Year's Students Come Here To Be One Hand

ألاختبار من عشره وبعدين بيعطينــى أسايمنت عليه خمسه

وبـــعدها كوز عليه عشره من مسرحيه ثــانيه ....

> ياحلو من يمسطك بذا السوط

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1842
Angelica
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية Angelica
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 10096
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Aug 2008
المشاركات: 1,142
عدد الـنقـاط : 1382
مؤشر المستوى: 77
Angelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud ofAngelica has much to be proud of
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآداب
التخصص: English Literature
المستوى: خريج جامعي
Angelica غير متواجد حالياً

بنات اللي عندهم شكسبير مع ليلى كم ملزمه عندكم ؟ 5 والا اكثر .. انا عندي 5 بس

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1843
Re Re
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية Re Re
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 46820
تاريخ التسجيل: Thu Feb 2010
المشاركات: 765
عدد الـنقـاط : 4844
مؤشر المستوى: 70
Re Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: الآآداب
التخصص: E
Re Re غير متواجد حالياً

بنات شاه نواز متأكدين انتم انها اكثر من 5

انا ماعندي الا 5 بليز اللي عندها 6و7 ترسلي اياهم

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1844
..نون..
أكـاديـمـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 52130
تاريخ التسجيل: Sat May 2010
العمر: 36
المشاركات: 31
عدد الـنقـاط : 50
مؤشر المستوى: 0
..نون.. will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب بالدمام
التخصص: ادب انجليزى
المستوى: المستوى الخامس
..نون.. غير متواجد حالياً

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة الراحة بالجنة مشاهدة المشاركة
بنات الله يعطيكم العافية من وين نذااكر المقال بالضبط أقصد اللي بالملزمة ؟؟؟

واذا ما عليكم كلفة في أحد يقدر ينزل ملزمة الترجمة الأخيرة حقت سلوى ؟؟

ربي يجزاكم خير ...

معليش بس انا غايبه هالاسبووع
اختبار المقال متى ..؟؟
عسى الاحد هذا ..؟؟
مع دكتور سليم ..؟

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1845
رحلة عمر
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية رحلة عمر
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 17627
تاريخ التسجيل: Fri Jan 2009
المشاركات: 923
عدد الـنقـاط : 329
مؤشر المستوى: 72
رحلة عمر رحلة عمر رحلة عمر رحلة عمر
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب بالدمام
التخصص: English literature
رحلة عمر غير متواجد حالياً

ReRe
اسفة ع التأخير تو اشوف رسالتك
ان شاء الله انسخ لكم محاضرات شكسبير 6 و 7 هنا عشان الكل يستفيد

برب

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1846
رحلة عمر
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية رحلة عمر
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

شكسبير 6

Brutus is not like the other conspirators. Cassius is involved

in taking bribes. Brutus has to depend on him for the maintenance of the soldiers. Octavius is saying that according to his virtue, Brutus should be given some respect in his burial.
Among the Roman conspirators, Brutus was the noblest. He is not a jealous person who murdered Caesar. Rather, he killed him for the general good of Rome. These lines are said by Antony at the end of the play- Act V scene V.

Who do you consider the hero of the drama of Julius Caesar? Who is considered to be the hero? Can we call the play a drama without a hero?
• the supernatural elements in the drama
• If you think that Julius Caesar is the hero of the drama, you have to give evidence for your answers from the drama itself.
• Some critics believe that Brutus is the hero of the drama.
• We have to see the points they are given to prove that Brutus is the hero of the play.
The first opinion is that Caesar is the hero of the drama. He is the hero from the beginning to the end. They reject the other opinion that Brutus is the hero of the drama.
The drama starts with people who are rejoicing the festival of Lupercal. They are rejoicing the returning of Caesar after defeating Pomepy's sons. The other people do not like Caesar. They are jealous of him. They are planning to kill him. They succeed in killing Caesar. He is killed in act III scene I. His ghost appears two times, till the end of the play. Caesar is the force even when he is dead. After his death we see Brutus and Cassius fighting. His spirit is dominating the drama. The force of Caesar is working in the first part of the drama. Then his force works in the later part of the drama. So, Julius Caesar is the dominating figure in the drama from the beginning to the end. So, he is the hero of the drama. We come to know about Brutus only after when Cassius wants to gain his help in his conspiracy against Caesar. So, we come to know about Brutus after some time. When we start reading the drama, we come to know that Caesar is a great figure who has defeated the might power of Pomepy's sons. His mighty power is still present after his death.
Regarding Caesar, some critics say that there is no tragic flaw in him. Yet, we see that Caesar's tragic flaw is his arrogance and pride. If there is not such pride in him, he is not able to go to the Senate. If he did not go to the Sainte, there would be no chance for murdering him. We see him so much arrogant and so much proud.
(You have to memorize some lines from the play that proves his arrogance) in all his sayings, we see his arrogance- in act II scene II)
Original Text Modern Text
Thunder and lightning Enter Julius CAESAR in his nightgown Thunder and lightning. CAESAR enters in his nightgown.
CAESAR
Nor heaven nor earth have been at peace tonight.
Thrice hath Calphurnia in her sleep cried out,
“Help, ho! They murder Caesar!”—Who’s within? CAESAR
Neither the sky nor the earth have been quiet tonight. Calphurnia cried out three times in her sleep, “Help, someone! They’re murdering Caesar!” Who’s there?
Calphurnia had dreamt that they killed Caesar.
CALPHURNIA
Caesar, I never stood on ceremonies,
Yet now they fright me. There is one within,
Besides the things that we have heard and seen,
Recounts most horrid sights seen by the watch.
A lioness hath whelpèd in the streets,
And graves have yawned and yielded up their dead.
CALPHURNIA
Caesar, I never believed in omens, but now they frighten me. A servant told me the night-watchmen saw horrid sights too, but different ones from what we heard and saw. A lioness gave birth in the streets, and graves *****ed open and thrust out their dead.
Fierce fiery warriors fought upon the clouds
In ranks and squadrons and right form of war,
Which drizzled blood upon the Capitol.
The noise of battle hurtled in the air.
Horses did neigh, and dying men did groan,
And ghosts did shriek and squeal about the streets.
O Caesar! These things are beyond all use,
And I do fear them. Fierce, fiery warriors fought in the clouds in the usual formations of war—ranks and squadrons—until the clouds drizzled blood onto the Capitol. The noise of battle filled the air, and horses neighed, and dying men groaned, and ghosts shrieked and squealed in the streets. Oh, Caesar! These things are beyond anything we’ve seen before, and I’m afraid.

CAESAR
What can be avoided    
Whose end is purposed by the mighty gods?
Yet Caesar shall go forth, for these predictions
Are to the world in general as to Caesar. CAESAR
How can we avoid what the gods want to happen? But I will go out, for these bad omens apply to the world in general as much as they do to me.
CAESAR
Cowards die many times before their deaths.
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come. CAESAR
Cowards die many times before their deaths. The brave experience death only once. Of all the strange things I’ve ever heard, it seems most strange to me that men fear death, given that death, which can’t be avoided, will come whenever it wants.

Caesar is not afraid of death. This shows his arrogance, his pride. He is claiming that he is more dangerous than danger.

CAESAR
The gods do this in shame of cowardice.
Caesar should be a beast without a heart
If he should stay at home today for fear.
No, Caesar shall not. Danger knows full well CAESAR
The gods do this to test my bravery. They’re saying I’d be an animal without a heart if I stayed home today out of fear. So, I won’t.
That Caesar is more dangerous than he.
We are two lions littered in one day,
And I the elder and more terrible.
And Caesar shall go forth. Danger knows that Caesar is more dangerous than he is. We’re two lions born on the same day in the same litter, and I’m the older and more terrible. I will go out.
He does not care about the things that are happening which are bad omens. There are so many signs that something bad is going to happen. He thinks that he is the elder than danger and more terrible than it.
This shows his tragic flaw- that is arrogance and pride.
The first reason why Caesar is the hero of the drama is that he is the dominating figure from the beginning to the end. His force is dominating the drama.
Secondly, there is a tragic flaw in him.
Thirdly, Shakespeare named his drama after Julius Caesar. He used to name his tragedies after the hero.
So, Caesar is the hero of the drama. He is the centre around which the whole drama revolts. He is killed at the beginning of act III but the drama continues with his force and his spirit.
These are the points=- reasons that support the idea that Caesar is the tragic hero. His death is the consequence of his tragic flaw.
There is no suffering in Caesar. The one who is suffering in the drama is Brutus. This is why some critics say that Brutus is the hero of the drama. Brutus is honorable in the eyes of the noble people and in the eyes of Caesar's himself. He is an idealist. He is on favor of democracy in Rome.
Caesar has lost his wit. He is seen as a tyrant by the conspirators. Brutus wants to kill Caesar who is a tyrant. Although he loves Caesar, but his love for Rome is more than his love for Caesar. He cares for Rome more than a single person. He loves his wife so much. When he heard that his wife committed suicide, he had a discussion with Cassius. After this, he can not control himself. He committed suicide. He is so much loyal to his friends whether it is Caesar, Cassius or other person in the drama. After the dearth of Caesar we see how Brutus is suffering till the end of his life. He finally committed suicide.
Julius Caesar does not fit into the hero. He does not suffer. He does not have a tragic flaw which leads out to his downfall.
There is conflict in his mind between his love for Caesar and for his country. He wants Rome to be a republic. He does not want it to be a kingdom and the Romans to be ruled by a tyrant king.
There are 4 characters;
• Julius Caesar
• Brutus
• Cassius
• Antony
We can say that the drama is the history of these four persons.
we can give the drama the title" the tragedy of Julius Caesar, Brutus, Cassius and Antony" all of the characters arouse in us admiration and some degree of sympathy. We do not have idea who becomes the king after Caesar. Antony is not ambitious. He is expected to be the king by the Senators.
The Supernatural elements:
It is common in Shakespearian tragedies. In Julius Caesar there are lots of supernatural elements. The use of supernatural elements means something that is not related to the natural force. It means the unusual course of nature. It is anything that is not according to the usual course of nature.
For example, in the middle of night we see daylight. This is an unusual course of nature. The usual course is that in the night there is darkness and in the day there is light. It might be miraculous conditions.
In act II scene I, there is thunder and lightening. The storm is a symbol of bad omen- that something bad will happen.
Another a supernatural element in the play is when the lioness gave birth to her babies in the street.
The dead awakened from their graves.
The birds of night- birds of death are seen in the sky in the daytime.
The market place, there is gathering. The night birds are singing in a gathering place during the day time. This symbolizes that there is some danger.
Another supernatural element is the ghost of Caesar. It appears two times in the play. It is only seen by one person that is Brutus.
The storm is a symbol of something bad that will happen in the future.
Shakespeare used supernatural elements in his tragedies because people in the Elizabethan age were superstitious. They used to believe in the supernatural elements.

Notice:
• read the attached file
• lectures alone are not enough
• you have to prepare essays on:
• Cesar as a tragic hero
• Brutus as a tragic hero
• the character of Cassius
• the character of Antony
• supernatural elements in the play

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة رحلة عمر ; 2010- 12- 3 الساعة 05:20 PM

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1847
رحلة عمر
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية رحلة عمر
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

Brutus as a tragic hero of the play

All of William Shakespeare's plays have in them a tragic hero. Often, that hero's is identified in the title of the play. However, in the case of the play Julius Caesar, I believe that this tradition is broken. I think that the true tragic hero in this play is the character of Brutus. I consider this to be true because he is the in most of the play, he follows the elements of a tragic hero and Caesar is not clearly established as the true hero of the play.

Brutus is in the majority of Julius Caesar. He is alive until almost the end of the play. Much of the focus during the play is on the actions of Brutus. Before Caesar dies, a large part of the plot is centered on Cassius trying to convince Brutus to join him against Caesar. After Caesar is killed, the play is mainly about the aftermath of the death, in which Brutus plays a large part. Brutus speaks after Caesar's death to convince the Romans that the murderers were justified in their act. Brutus is more of a focus in the play than any other character.
The character of Brutus has all of the elements that a tragic hero should. He has a tragic flaw, in that he is extremely dedicated to his country. Cassius appeals to Brutus by making him think that Caesar's ambition is to become king. Brutus wants to stop Caesar from taking over, because he is convinced that having a king would be bad for the country. Even though Caesar did not strive to be king, the loyalty that Brutus had to Rome forced him to overthrow the leader. Brutus realizes his mistake near the end when he says, "Caesar, now be still: I kill'd not thee with half so good a will." He says this just before he kills himself, proving that he is dedicated to Rome. Once he realized that Caesar was a good leader, he felt so much regret that he took his own life. Also, Brutus was a nobleman, which is another attribute of a tragic hero. With Brutus, things go well up until a certain point. Once Brutus discovers that all of his friends are dying in battle, he decides to kill himself. Brutus had internal and external conflicts throughout the play. He was constantly questioning his actions, both before and after they were committed, especially in the case of Caesar's murder. He participated in the killing of Caesar and the war that followed after. Brutus's character influenced the tragedy that occurred. He was a naïve and gullible man, and so he believed everything Cassius told him. Because of this, he was one of the main people trying to overthrow Caesar.

Caesar did not show the traits that would mark him as a tragic hero of the play. He did not have a clear tragic flaw. His character was not developed well enough in the play to show the conflicts that he was a part of. Caesar's personality hardly had anything to do with the events that occurred. Though he was of considerable rank, and his fall affected many people, I don't think that this can establish him as the tragic hero. Brutus had many more of the attributes of a tragic hero than Caesar did. Caesar was killed in Act III of the play, and after that Brutus was one of the main characters. The character of Caesar is only in about half of the play, so I don't believe he can be the true hero of the story.

In the play of Julius Caesar, I believe the true tragic hero is Brutus, because he is a main character in the play, he follows the elements of tragedy, and Caesar does not show the traits that would make him the hero. At first glance, Caesar appears to be the tragic hero, but with closer examination the truth becomes clear. Brutus is the true tragic hero in the play of Julius Caesar.

Julius Caesar - Analysis of Brutus
In the play The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare, the character Marcus Brutus fits the definition of the tragic hero. Like other tragic heroes, he had great promise, ability, and integrity of character. He had a tragic flaw. He had a lust for power, and he died at the end of the play.
Brutus had great promise, ability, and strength of character. The fact that he could single-handedly take over the group of conspirators, and completely overrule Cassius demonstrates his strength of character, and his influence on others.
Brutus's tragic flaw was that he was too trusting. He frankly and honestly felt that he had had to kill Caesar in order to save Rome from tyranny. He trusted Antony not to blame the conspirators in his
speech at Caesar's funeral. Antony broke that promise and got Brutus and the others into deep trouble. Brutus also trusted Cassius. Cassius only asked Brutus to be a part of the conspiracy as a way of getting closer to Caesar. He never suspected that Brutus would take over the
group and become their leader. Cassius thought that he was getting someone to lead the men, but that he would still be the head man. Brutus, however, took all power away from Cassius, and Cassius no longer had any say in the happenings of the group.
Brutus had a conscience. It was obvious that Brutus felt terrible about Caesar's death, but he felt that it was the only way to keep peace in Rome. When Caesar's ghost came to Brutus, it could have been a real ghost, but it also may have been Brutus's conscience
coming back to haunt him. After all, stabbing one's best friend is dishonorable, and Brutus was an honorable man, so anything that he did that was dishonorable was not acknowledged. Brutus did not associate anything dishonorable with himself, and so when he did do something dishonorable, he did not admit it to himself.
Brutus died at the end of the play of his own will. "Farewell Strato. Caesar now be still. I killed not thee with half so good a will." Brutus felt unbearable remorse for Caesar's death, and his
final words told that.
Brutus had a lust for power. When he joined the conspirators, he immediately took over. When they were considering asking Cicero to be one of the conspirators, Brutus would not have it even thought he was the only one who objected. Having an older, more experienced
person in the group would have put Brutus out of power, and he would have had to settle for second-in-command. Brutus could not really predict what Caesar would have done with the crown. He did know that if Caesar was crowned, however, then he had no chance of ever being
crowned himself.
Brutus filled the description of the tragic hero quite well. He was a great man, and everyone knew it. Though he killed Caesar, he had a valid excuse which he had the people believe. He thought that killing Caesar was the right thing to do, even though it was not. Any
way one looks at it, Brutus was a great man, and a tragic hero. "This was the noblest Roman of them all. All the conspirators save only he-- did that they did in envy of great Caesar; He, only in general honest thought-- and common good to all, made one of them. His
life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him that Nature might stand up-- And say to all the world, 'This was a man!'" -Marcus Antony

Caesar as the tragic hero of the play

Julius Caesar as a Tragic Hero
Julius Caesar is a play written by William Shakespeare during the year 1597. Julius Caesar’s story involves a conspiracy against Julius Caesar, a powerful senator.
The play involves a highly respected senator, Brutus, who decides to join the conspiracy to kill Julius Caesar, in the effort to keep democracy intact. Brutus believes that if Julius Caesar is allowed to live, Caesar will take a kingship and turn the government into a monarchy. Brutus, Cassius, and the other conspirators kill Julius Caesar, yet they find Antony, a loyalist of Caesar, seeks revenge on them. Plato set out rules on the traits a tragic hero must possess. A tragic hero must neither be an evil villain nor a great hero, instead the tragic hero must be either a flawed hero or a villain with some good traits. Also, the tragic hero must not deserve what mighty punishment is dealt to him. Another key feature of a tragic hero is the fact that a tragic hero must be a high-standing individual in society. The tragic hero must not deserve his punishment for the play to be a tragedy. Also, a tragedy happening to someone in high authority, will affect not only the single person but also society as a whole. Another reason for the tragic hero to be in high authority is to display that if a tragedy may happen to someone such as a king, it may just as easily happen to any other person. Julius Caesar fits the role of a tragic hero. Julius Caesar is a high standing senator that possesses hamartia, failings of human nature. Julius Caesar’s imperfections may be seen in three distinct aspects of Caesar, such as the following: his pride, his indecision, and his ambition.
Julius Caesar has much pride, a hamartia, which brings him to not be cautious of the conspiracy. Caesar is given much warning on the threat of his life, yet due to his pride he thinks himself to be too great of a person to have such a downfall. Julius Caesar is warned by a soothsayer, “Soothsayer. Beware the ides of March.”(1,2,18) Julius Caesar rebukes the soothsayer by stating, “Caesar. He is a dreamer. Let us leave him. Pass.”(1,2,23) Caesar does not take warning to be wary the middle of the month, the day of his assassination. Later, Caesar’s wife Calphurnia has a nightmare that Caesar is slain at the Capitol. Caesar calls for the priests to do a sacrifice to see if it is wise to stay or leave for the Capitol. The priests warn Caesar not to leave out of the house and Calphurnia pleads with him also. Caesar’s pride is shown by his response, “Caesar. …Danger knows full well that Caesar is more dangerous than he. We are two lions littered in one day, And I the elder and more terrible, And Caesar shall go forth.”(2,2,44-47) Caesar shows that his pride overrules any advice given by others. If not for Julius Caesar’s pride, he may have avoided the assassination and had more time for the conspiracy to be uncovered. This clearly shows that Caesar’s pride is a hamartia that leads to his downfall.
Julius Caesar hesitates, or changes, his mind throughout the play and this downfall is shown to be one of Caesar’s hamartia. On the day Caesar is to go to the Capitol, he changes his decisions frequently. Caesar defies the warnings of Calphurnia and the priests and Caesar says that she, Caesar, shall go forth to the Capitol this day. “Caesar. Caesar shall forth. The things that threatened me Ne’er looked but on my back. When they shall see The face of Caesar, they are vanished.” Through this quotation, it seems Caesar has made his mind to go forth to the Capitol. Calphurnia, though, is able to persuade him to stay home and send word that he is sick. Caesar replies, “Caesar. Mark Antony shall say I am not well, And for thy humor I will stay at home.”(2,2,55-56) Decius then flatters Caesar and is able to persuade him that Calphurnia's nightmare is misinterpreted and that he should go forth to the Capitol. To this, Caesar replies, “Calphurnia. How foolish do your fears seem now, Calphurnia!”(2,2,105-106) Caesar decides finally to leave for the Capitol, where he is murdered later the same day. This clearly shows that the change-ability of Caesar, due to flattery and the influence of others, is also a hamartia.
Caesar is very ambitious, for this is the reason he is murdered by Brutus.
Caesar looks to further himself and he has much pride. Julius Caesar shows that he may be dangerous with power and power is what Caesar is trying to acquire. Brutus is wary of Caesar getting power and possibly setting up a monarchy. The other conspirators are jealous of Caesar and his rise in power. They are senators also, yet see that they are losing their power and authority and that Caesar is grasping for more ruling. This occurrence, that Caesar is surpassing his peers and creating a monopoly, is a very dangerous and serious threat. Cassius expresses his opinion by his statement, “Cassius. …but for my single self, I had lief not be as live to be in awe of such a thing as I myself. I was borne free as Caesar; so were you.”(1,2,94-97) Cassius also shows that he sees that the Senate and senators are falling in power as Caesar is selfishly acquiring it.
“Casca. He fell down in the market place and foamed at the mouth and was speechless.
Brutus. ‘Tis very like; he hath the falling sickness.
Cassius. No, Caesar hath it blueye3 not; but you and I, and honest Casca, we have the falling sickness [in reference to their falling in power versus Caesar’s rise].”(1,2,254-258)
Caesar’s ambition, surely, is a hamartia and is the reason behind the heart of the conspiracy.
Through these examples, Julius Caesar can be seen as having the traits of a tragic hero. Upon closer inspection, Brutus is the real tragic hero of the play. This displays how William Shakespeare is able to create realistic and multipurpose characters that inspire his works.

Julius Caesar Analysis

Aristotle was perhaps the pioneer of modern day dramas, more specifically dramatic tragedies. He first defined what a tragedy is: A drama which contained hubris, pathos and/or bathos, and the most valued element in a tragedy, a tragic hero. This was usually the main character who is noble in his deeds, yet has one flaw which causes him to fall. The tragic works of Shakespeare were no exception. In the drama, Julius Caesar the reader can clearly see many of the principles of a tragedy. That is all except for the tragic hero. Ideas as to who is the tragic hero range from Cassius to Julius Caesar
himself. The trouble is all characters have material to prove and disprove them. However the hypothesis that Marcus Brutus is the tragic hero is incorrect. One element to a tragic hero is the hero has only one tragic flaw, and Brutus clearly has more than one flaw in his character. The first flaws in Brutus character is his naïveté and the assumptions he makes about other characters. Through out the entire story these two flaws
are reflected in many of his decisions and actions. A specific example is his view on the Roman populace. Thinking all Romans are honorable and noble it is not only incorrect, but it plagues him until the very end of the play. One instance occurred as the conspirators were meeting. Brutus stated, Lets kill him boldly, but not wrathfully...... This shall make our purpose necessary and not envious.... (Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, 2.1. 172 & 177-178). He honestly believed that all involved were going to kill Caesar for honorable reasons. Not
once did he question the motives of everyone, where, in reality Brutus probably was the only involved for noble reasons. Brutus undoubtedly convinces the reader of his own naivete when he states, ... let us bathe our hands in Caesars blood... Lets all cry ^Peace, freedom, and liberty!! (3.1. 106 & 110) Just by his enthusiasm, Brutus is not aware of any other motives. He simply
believes that , Peace, freedom, and liberty are the only motives.
Another example was during his speech at Caesars funeral. ... not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more (3.2. 18-20).
Addressing the nobility of his actions and his love for Rome, Brutus surmises that the people understand him because of their equal love for their country. This assumption is evident because he uses it as
the sole reason for killing Caesar. A reason that Brutus believes the people agree with, otherwise he would not use it to rationalize such a crime. Lastly that same lack of insight is seen in when Brutus declares, ... I have done no more to Caesar than you shall do to
Brutus (3.2. 28-29) Paraphrased he says that the people would do the same to him if he became ambitious, as he did to Caesar for becoming ambitious. Yet the people hardly understand him. One citizen proves
that! when he states, Caesars better parts Shall be crowned in Brutus (3.2 39-40). The citizen completely misses the point Brutus is trying to make, and blurts out a random, ignorant comment. Throughout all the naive decisions and assumptions Brutus still has another
downfall. A flaw that is closely related, but still different.
The second flaw seen in Brutus is his one sided perception of many things. His perceptions of attitudes, values, beliefs, and more. This can be seen during his funeral speech. Focusing only on the political aspects of the assassination, he not once stops to consider that Caesar was more than a representation of the future Rome, but a person too. I slew my best lover for the good of Rome ( 3.2. 33-34) says Brutus. He dose not once
grieve for Caesar, or show remorse for Caesar. He innocently addresses only one side of the situation. This incorrect perception is then used against him n Cassius speech. Cassius makes it plain to the audience that Brutus did not view Caesar as a person, and therefore convincing the crowd against Brutus.
A second example of Brutus poor perception was after the
assassination. As Rome's situation turned into civil war Brutus still speaks of honor and nobility. ... Did not great Julius bleed for justice sake? ( 4.3. 19) , ... I am armed so str! ong in honesty(4.3. 67), our legions are brimful, our cause is ripe (4.3. 214). On and on he goes focused on what he still deems important.
Once again Brutus perception is incorrect and reality is much different. Not many still value honestly, and most know that at those times, it would not help you move ahead. Rome begins to fall, and what
hopes of saving it do not center around the honorable and noble point of view Brutus clings on to. Yet it is his flaw that he is ignorant of such things. One flaw, that are many within Brutus.
Brutus has two, maybe three, distinct flaws in his character, and many downfalls. Brutus first is naive, and assumes to much about the people of Rome. He does listen to them, but what he hears is either misinterpreted, or it is set aside because it does not agree with his preconceived notions of what the populace should be saying. All of this makes it very clear that Brutus is not the tragic hero. Who then is the hero? As stated before, there is concrete evidence proving and disproving many other characters. But then is Julius Caesar truly a tragedy?
Does not a tragedy have a clear tragic hero? Nobody will ever know. But whether Julius Caesar is a tragedy as most believe, or a historical account as others believe, it is a beautiful work of art. Literature at its very best, something that will never be forgotten.

Julius Caesar, the tragic hero Only the ignorant would deny that the title of a novel or play has no relevance to the play itself. Unfortunately, those ignorant minds have caused the true tragic hero of Shakespeare’s Tragedy of Julius Caesar, an area of dispute. Brutus seems to be a candidate because he appears more than Caesar in the play, but without Caesar the whole play would be lost. It is an indisputable fact that Julius Caesar is the Tragic Hero. It is arguable that Brutus fits Aristotle’s guidelines for a tragic hero. He has a high position in society, which is evident through that fact that he is a senator. Brutus also has a noble and famous family name. In the play, even his enemies speak well of him (Shakespeare V, 5, 73-75). Brutus is also very prosperous. He is very wealthy and has many loyal friends. It also seems that he has a great relationship with his wife, because when she was concerned about him, he spent time to talk to her and comfort her. Furthermore, his tragic flaw causes him it make a mistake. He ends up murdering Caesar because of his overwhelming patriotism. Brutus is more concerned about his nation than he is about any single man. Although Marcus Brutus seems to fit Aristotle’s qualifications of a tragic hero, the fact that Caesar fits it better is undeniable. Shakespeare makes his point almost too clear. First, the citizens of Rome love Caesar so much that they offer him the thrown three times. Brutus is barely known by the citizens. Julius Caesar had already been the leader of Rome without being king, and had led his own army to many great victories, which is obviously a sign of much power. Caesar can brag of his prosperity, through his wealth, his many friends, and his loving wife. Caesar’s tragic flaw helps to make his death more of a tragedy. He is too trusting and over-confident in the loyalty of his friends. In no part of the play did Caesar imagine that his closest friends were plotting to assassinate him. The fact is, the title of the play is not titled The Tragedy of Marcus Brutus; it is titled The tragedy of Julius Caesar, which obviously leads the reader to believe that the story will be focused around Julius Caesar. Shakespeare creates the entire story around Julius Caesar and the events that lead to his tragedy. Brutus’ death isn’t much of a tragedy, supported by the fact that he took his own life. Brutus’ last words even spoke of Caesar. Brutus is too unimportant to be the tragic hero. If Brutus was taken out of the play, another character, like Cassius, could take his place as the betrayer; but if Caesar was taken out of the story, there is no one that could take his place, and there would be no story. There are some small reasons why someone would mistake Brutus as the tragic hero. According to Aristotle, the tragic hero must die in the fifth act (like Brutus did), but Caesar did not. Caesar is actually present, even after his death, in the form of a ghost. His ghosts appears several times in the story to haunt Brutus, and in the end, he is truly laid to rest. Second, the last speech is not about Caesar, when most of Shakespeare’s tragic heroes are the subjects of the last speech. It can be explained by saying that Shakespeare felt is necessary to break one small rule in order to complete the novel successfully. Most of the other arguments that can be stated on Brutus’ behalf are just opinions, and cannot be backed up with facts. Although Marcus Brutus can reasonably be seen as the main character of the story, the tragic hero is unmistakably Julius Caesar. Brutus is merely Shakespeare’s main tool in moving the play along. The play Tragedy of Julius Caesar is the story of a hero who is tragically killed, and that hero is Julius Caesar.

Character Analysis
Cassius
The most significant characteristic of Cassius is his ability to perceive the true motives of men. Caesar says of him, "He reads much; / He is a great observer and he looks / Quite through the deeds of men." The great irony surrounding Cassius throughout the play is that he nullifies his greatest asset when he allows Brutus to take effective control of the republican faction.
Cassius believes that the nobility of Rome are responsible for the government of Rome. They have allowed a man to gain excessive power; therefore, they have the responsibility to stop him, and with a man of Caesar's well-known ambition, that can only mean assassination.
Cassius intensely dislikes Caesar personally, but he also deeply resents being subservient to a tyrant, and there are indications that he would fight for his personal freedom under any tyrant. He does not resent following the almost dictatorial pronouncements of his equal, Brutus, although he does disagree heatedly with most of Brutus' tactical decisions. To accomplish his goal of removing Caesar from power, he resorts to using his keen insight into human nature to deceive Brutus by means of a long and passionate argument, coupled with bogus notes. In the conversation, he appeals to Brutus' sense of honor, nobility, and pride more than he presents concrete examples of Caesar's tyrannical actions. Later, he is more outrightly devious in the use of forged notes, the last of which prompts Brutus to leave off contemplation and to join the conspiracy. Cassius later uses similar means to bring Casca into the plot.
Throughout the action, Cassius remains relatively unconcerned with the unscrupulous means he is willing to use to further the republican cause, and at Sardis, he and Brutus come almost to breaking up their alliance because Brutus objects to his ways of collecting revenue to support the armies. Cassius sees Brutus as the catalyst that will unite the leading nobles in a conspiracy, and he makes the recruitment of Brutus his first priority. Ironically, his success leads directly to a continuous decline of his own influence within the republican camp.
Clearly, Cassius has his negative aspects. He envies Caesar; he becomes an assassin; and he will consent to bribery, sell commissions, and impose ruinous taxation to raise money. But he also has a certain nobility of mind that is generally recognized. When Caesar tells Antony that Cassius is dangerous, Antony answers, "Fear him not, Caesar; he's not dangerous. / He's a noble Roman and well given." He was no doubt expressing sentiments popular at the time. Cassius is also highly emotional. He displays extreme hatred in his verbal attack on Caesar during Lupercal; he almost loses control because of fear when Popilius reveals that the conspirators' plans have been leaked; he gives vent to anger in his argument with Brutus in the tent at Sardis; he expresses an understanding tolerance of the poet who pleads for him and Brutus to stop their quarrel; and he threatens suicide repeatedly and finally chooses self-inflicted death to humiliating capture by Antony and Octavius. When he becomes a genuine friend of Brutus following the reconciliation in the tent, he remains faithful and refuses to blame Brutus for the dilemma that he encounters at Philippi, even though he has reason to do so.
Of all the leading characters in Julius Caesar, Cassius develops most as the action progresses. At the end of Act I, Scene 2, he is a passionate and devious manipulator striving to use Brutus to gain his ends. By the end of Act IV, Scene 3, he is a calm friend of Brutus who will remain faithful to their friendship until death.

Character Analysis
Antony
Prior to Caesar's assassination, Antony makes four brief appearances in which he speaks a total of five lines. Twice during Lupercal and again at Caesar's house, he makes short statements indicating that he is loyal to Caesar as dictator and as a friend. Caesar's confiding to Antony at Lupercal indicates that he trusts Antony and looks upon him as a friend in return, perhaps even as a protégé. Antony appears at the Capitol at the beginning of Act III, Scene 1, but he does not speak before Trebonius leads him out.
When, during Lupercal, Caesar describes Cassius as a dangerous man, Antony defends him as "a noble Roman and well given." While Antony does not perceive at that time that Cassius is dangerous, and later underestimates the determination of Octavius, as a ruler, he is a perceptive observer who verifies Cassius' assessment of him as being a "shrewd contriver." Following the assassination, Antony quickly grasps that he must deal with Brutus, and he has the shrewdness to take advantage of Brutus' naïveté. When he has his servant say that "Brutus is noble, wise, valiant, and honest," it is clear that Antony intends to flatter Brutus and to work upon those personal qualities of Brutus that represent moral strengths, but that are also fundamental weaknesses when dealing with a more sophisticated man.
Antony's requests for safety and for an explanation for the murder are reasonable in the context of the situation, but Brutus' consent to provide both ensures that, upon returning to the Capitol, Antony can concentrate on his ultimate objective of gaining a forum. At the Capitol, by having Brutus repeat his promises, Antony succeeds in placing him on the defensive and in establishing a means to evade the more difficult questions being raised by Cassius. He is not in the slightest degree deterred by considerations of honesty when dealing with those whom he wishes to deceive or manipulate. He knows that Brutus wants to believe that he (Antony) will join the conspirators' cause, and he takes advantage of Brutus' hope when he falsely tells the conspirators, "Friends am I with you all, and love you all." He will also freely use half-truths and outright falsehoods to sway the mob at the Forum to do what he wants.

Character Analysis
Antony
Antony faces danger in this meeting from Cassius, who knows him to be a "shrewd contriver," and from the other conspirators, who know him to be a friend of Caesar. He disposes of the threat of Cassius by directing his attention to the more powerful and gullible Brutus, whom he keeps on the defensive by repeating that he will be friends if he receives a satisfactory explanation. He disposes of the remaining conspirators by boldly raising the subject of his apparent hypocrisy in making friends with his friend's murderers and by then shrewdly diverting his comments to the nobility of Caesar. This is much in the manner that he will turn the citizens to rebellion by professing that he does not want to stir them up. Antony, in reality, wants two things: to avenge Caesar's murder and to rule Rome. In order to do both, he must first undermine public confidence in the republicans, and second, he must drive them from power by creating a chaotic situation that will allow him to seize power in their place. The method he chooses is to gain permission to speak at Caesar's funeral, and that is the sole reason he plays the role he does in the Capitol.
In his soliloquy in the Capitol, Antony reveals that he intends to create civil strife throughout Italy, and in his oration he sets it off to a promising start. He is thoroughly the politically expedient man in his speech. He wants to create rebellion and overthrow the republicans so that he and Octavius can fill the vacuum, and he succeeds to the fullest measure. From his soliloquy in the Capitol until the end of the play, he is constantly ambitious, confident, successful, and exceptionally ruthless. He has no concern for the welfare of the citizens of Rome who will suffer in the civil strife he has instigated, he is willing to have a nephew put to death rather than argue for his life, he seeks to keep as much as he can of Caesar's legacy to the poor of Rome, and he openly acknowledges that he will remove Lepidus from power as soon as Lepidus is no longer of use to him.
He has some personality conflict with Octavius, but he is able to relegate it to the background so that their differences are always secondary to their struggle to defeat Brutus and Cassius. Antony is also particularly adept at locating the most advantageous point of attack in all of his confrontations. In the Capitol, rather than confront all of the conspirators, he concentrates on Brutus' naive sense of honor and nobility. In the Forum, rather than construct a reasoned argument against the assassins, he appeals to the emotion with which he saw the crowd respond to Brutus' speech. At Philippi, when Brutus leaves Cassius' army exposed, Antony attacks immediately. At the conclusion of the play, when Brutus and Cassius are dead and the republicans thoroughly defeated, he publicly praises Brutus in order to set about healing the political wounds of Rome. Ironically, Brutus hoped to remove arbitrary government from Rome by the assassination, but by murdering Caesar, he established the conditions for an even more ruthless tyranny to seize power in the persons of Antony and Octavius.

Some of the supernatural elements :
• At the end of Act I, a terrible storm comes up. Casca and Cicero each believe that the storm foreshadows events surrounding Caesar's impending assassination. Casca is fearful of a host of strange sightings and believes that these signs prognosticate evil. Cicero believes that the storm's power mirrors the power of the conspirators. Cassius is also energized by the storm.
• Caesar's wife, Calpurnia has a dream about a statue of her husband that was full of holes that bled profusely. Fearing evil, she tried to convince Caesar that her dream was a warning for him not to go to the Senate that day. Ceasar even has one of his servants go to the priests to do a sacrifice to see what they have to say about Calpurnia's fears. When the animal was sacrificed, there was no heart in it... a bad omen indeed. Caesar even ignores this omen when Decius Brutus re-interprets Calpurnia's dream to have a favorable meaning, just to entice Caesar to come to the Senate (and to his doom).
• Brutus' conscience conjours up the ghost of Caesar who tells Brutus that he will see him at Philippi. Brutus is feeling guilty for his part in the conspiracy and his conscience manifests his guilt in the form of a ghost. It is at Philippi that Brutus meets his end, so the appearance of the ghost foreshadows his demise.
Shakespeare's use of Supernatural in Julius Caesar

Some critics believed that Shakespeare had a regular belief in Supernatural elements but some gave their view that it was just a creation of the disturbed mind of Shakespeare. Shakespeare has introduced the supernatural into the play Julius Caesar to achieve a greater dramatic effect and because of the general beliefs in superstition among the Elizabethan people.
Fairies, ghosts, goblins and other supernatural are a common appearance in the plays of Shakespeare. Julius Caesar is not an exception. We have viewed many supernatural throughout the play Julius Caesar; some are direct while the others are indirect. These supernatural adds an element of mystery to the drama.
Caesar's ghost was seen by Brutus twice; once at Sardis in his tent and later at the battlefield of Phillipi. The ghost might be a product or imagination of the disturbed mind of Brutus. First of all, he heard the death of his beloved wife Portia, Secondly he understood the mistake he made by killing Julius Caesar and lastly due the quarrel he had with Cassius. It might also be natural the Brutus has seen the ghost of Julius Caesar. At Phillipi his mind was disturbed due to the verge of defeat.
Apart from the ghost of Caesar, there are other supernatural elements too; these are in the form of omens alarms and various other ways.
• A soothsayer warns Caesar to beware of March.
• The storm scene in Act I, Scene iii is a prediction of an unnatural happening followed by the strange sights of a slave with a flaming hand and which does not scorch, men all in fire walking down the streets, a lioness giving birth in the streets and hooting and shrieking of the owl near the Capitol at noon time.
• Calphurnia of fiery warriors fighting among the clouds in the proper rank of military which rained blood on the capitol and the dead men coming out of their graves. She also saw in her dream a statue of Caesar through which blood was coming out through hundreds of sprouts and some Romans washed their hand in it.
• There was sacrifice of animal ordered by Caesar and in it no heart can be found by the augurers; an unnatural thing.
• While marching towards Philippi, Cassius saw instead of the usual stock of eagles; kites and ravens have replaced them which were known as the 'Bird of Death'.
• Another referral was to the suicide of Portia, Brutus's wife by swallowing hot coals; another reference to fire.

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1848
رحلة عمر
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية رحلة عمر
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة ..نون.. مشاهدة المشاركة
معليش بس انا غايبه هالاسبووع
اختبار المقال متى ..؟؟
عسى الاحد هذا ..؟؟
مع دكتور سليم ..؟
ايوهـ,, الاسبوع هذا تبدء اختبارات الشبكة
كلا ع حسب محاظرتة
فـ شوفي انتي محاظرتك المقال اي يوم وراح يكون فية اختبار

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1849
شموخي قهر عذالي
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الصورة الرمزية شموخي قهر عذالي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 62874
تاريخ التسجيل: Thu Oct 2010
المشاركات: 3,603
عدد الـنقـاط : 1619
مؤشر المستوى: 93
شموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant future
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الأداب بالدمام
التخصص: English
شموخي قهر عذالي غير متواجد حالياً

بنااااااات بليييييز ردوا علي امتحان الشعر مع علياء بدر ايش القصائد اللي معنا والintroduction اللي في اول محاضرة معنا والا لا؟؟وكيف طريقة الاسئلة؟؟؟؟؟

قديم 2010- 12- 3   #1850
شموخي قهر عذالي
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الصورة الرمزية شموخي قهر عذالي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 62874
تاريخ التسجيل: Thu Oct 2010
المشاركات: 3,603
عدد الـنقـاط : 1619
مؤشر المستوى: 93
شموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant futureشموخي قهر عذالي has a brilliant future
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الأداب بالدمام
التخصص: English
شموخي قهر عذالي غير متواجد حالياً

يـــــــــــؤ يـــــؤ مافي احد يرد علي

موضوع مغلق

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

« الموضوع السابق | الموضوع التالي »

الذين يشاهدون محتوى الموضوع الآن : 1 ( الأعضاء 0 والزوار 1)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

المواضيع المتشابهه
الموضوع كاتب الموضوع المنتدى مشاركات آخر مشاركة
الطلبة المستجدين في كلية العلوم الزراعية والاغذية1431 New students 2010 @Ahmed@ منتدى كلية العلوم الزراعية و الأغذية 351 2010- 9- 30 10:57 AM
Fourth year ENGLISH students mesho ~ منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام 138 2010- 8- 15 04:49 PM