ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام

العودة   ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام > ساحة طلاب وطالبات الإنتظام > ملتقى طلاب الانتظام جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن (الدمام) > ملتقى كليات العلوم والأداب - جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن > منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام
التسجيل الكويزاتإضافة كويزمواعيد التسجيل التعليمـــات المجموعات  

منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام ; مساحة للتعاون و تبادل الخبرات بين طالبات كلية الآداب بالدمام و نقل آخر الأخبار و المستجدات .

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2251
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الصورة الرمزية عسولة الشرقية
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 5455
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Apr 2008
المشاركات: 2,198
الـجنــس : أنـثـى
عدد الـنقـاط : 407
مؤشر المستوى: 87
عسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really nice
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآداب
الدراسة: انتظام
التخصص: انجليزي
المستوى: خريج جامعي
 الأوسمة و جوائز  بيانات الاتصال بالعضو  اخر مواضيع العضو
عسولة الشرقية غير متواجد حالياً
رد: •• {{ 2nd year English students cafe ««

john Milton
When I consider how my light is spent
We are going to start with john Milton. He is from the 17th century who we cannot ignore it at all when we study the seventeenth century. He has a great place because his apices.
We know that in the early of seventeenth century is full of events. We have studied and always repeat the same with every poet. The political, religious conflicts and the social as a result and the intellectual environment all of these elements have formed a different kind of literature.
John Milton was born in the early of the seventeenth century and he died at the restoration of the king. He was influenced by the conflict and the civil war and the coming of Cromwell.
Everyone has different react. He was on the side of the parliament and when Cromwell came he celebrated his family but at the same time he so cruel in his irony in criticizing what he doesn’t like. He didn’t influence by the ****************physical poets because he has his own style. He in fact was influenced more by the sixteenth century great figures like Spencer and Shakespeare.
He was influenced by the classics more than the ****************physical.
We can divide his life into three stages his personal life and his literary career:
The first stage: when he was young and he concentrates in his education. He was font of reading he read the classics he learned and mastered the Latin language and the Greek language he was ready to exposed to the original **************** he learned more European languages .
This means that he enriched his knowledge. He had a lot of things in this stage of his life.
He even learned Hebrew why?? He is Christian and learned the Hebrew
Because the Old Testament is written in Hebrew and the new is in Latin. He went to the sources .to get his own knowledge.
The second stage: he devoted his time to criticize and to deal with poets. He wrote many social maters. He cosintrait on writing (bathless) –essays-. He wrote some poem but his famous in this stage of his life in writing prose commenting on his political issue and the social problems.
The last stage: The last 14 years of his life he went blind .he was a religious man, he might face doubt as any human being but in fact he wrote the most memorable ethics in English literature. He wrote two epics and along important poem.
She will not ask us to write the biography of john.
Make use of what you have learned. When you discus a poem you can just hint that this poem discuses this stage of his life. This poem or this theme shows us or reflect you use this because after all, the poet is the man and the man is the poet
If h put himself in a place of another, some of his personality will appear. Even Andrew Marvell in his poem the dialogue he was so clever to step asay
And to convince us that this soul which speaking or the body which is speaking but at the end he sees all opinion although it is hidden but it still there.
John Milton has his own style. It doesn’t means that his images are so easy. It doesn’t mean that he a product of seventeenth century and somehow he should belong to sixteenth century.
But as we said he has his own style which somehow more related to invented kind of poetry which was popular in sixteenth century.
He was puritan and he was imprisoned because his opinions, also was imprisoned at the time of Cromwell even he was supporting him because his own idea and opinion.

The poem:
When I consider how my light is spent
When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodged with my useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Marker, and present 5
My true account, lest he returning chide;
“Doth God exact day-labor, light denied?”
I fondly ask; but patience to prevent
That murmur , soon replies , “God doth not need
Either mans work or his own gifts ; who best 10
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best.his state
Is kingly.thousands at his biddig speed
And post o er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait.

This is some of his beautiful sonnet; we said before that the sonnets during the seventeenth century were not as popular as the sixteenth century. At the sixteenth century, the sonnets were the most important form. Still they wrote at the seventeen c they wrote sonnets but it was religious .we feel that the language is the language of the sixteenth C poets. Not the language of Milton. This is the first impression.
The first thing you will see when you read the poem is the form .when we read it the first time we can see that we have a very long sentences and the meaning is not completed until the line number 11. Until the word (BEST). We don’t have divisions or sestet or octave. This is the first look.
The poem is started with a clause (when I consider…..) he is trying to look back to his life to see to make an evaluation
((WHEN I CONSIDER MY LIGHT IS SPENT)
Light means his life, his talent, we have light and darkness, and it means his days. Because his blindness all his days are nights, so when he was able to see and active, when I consider how my past life spent when I was still have my sight.
Ere half my days,
Now he is in the middle of his age, he became blind. So when I remember what I have done how my life is spent. How my days, years, age was spent before that time.
In this dark world and wide
He describe the world as dark because his blindness and because of the events the civil war and all these conflicts. He is trying to evaluate. The world also is wide. He is pessimistic.
And that one talent which is death to hide….
Talent means his talent as a poet, a writer, as a literary figure.
This word is the key word of the whole poem. He said that when I consider how my talent which I have will be hidden in death. When he becomes blind he lost his talent. He cannot produce more but he is still wishing to serve his maker –
God his maker- he now is disabling to write to serve God. We said that he is a puritan and he in fact started to write religious poetry when he was still 21 years old. This word alods to the bible to the New Testament. It refers to story in the bible and it has a deep meaning. The story is a narration about a king who had many servants to serve him. This king has three servants and he wants to travel for a long time and he wants to let the three servants take care of his money. He gives the first servant five coins-money- the second gave him two coins and the third servant gave him one coins. He travels for many years the first servant, he work and gain more five coins. The second servant also works and gains another two coins. The third one didn’t do anything with the coins and he hides it until his master came back. After many years the master came back and he wants to return his money. The king became happy from the two servants who investigated and work to his money but he was mad from the third one. The theme of the story is that God give us a talent. Each one of us had a talent.

What did you do with your ayes, your health, the money I gave you, with the chanses that I gave you. Every one of the servant did his best. This is the theme. He is settling alone and said to himself what did I do in my life before. Now my talent is lost but I want to serve God. I have the inergy but I don’t have the ability. He is satisfied about his past days but he worried about his coming days. this is the subject matter.
He is really worried if God is displeased of what he doing. We have a quotation mark. He is asking himself ,”doth God exact day-labor, light denied” because his talent of reading is too important to him he feel disport and he wants to day.
He asks himself does God apresheat the one who have more than the one who has less because he is disable.
I fondly ask; but patience to prevent
That murmur , soon replies , “God doth not need
Either mans work or his own gifts ; who best

Fond means foolish in old English. He knows from the very beginning that he shouldn’t ask such question. He is a religious man. He has faith. He shouldn’t ask this question. It means that he has doubts. Patience is capitalizes. Patience is one of the characteristic of the believers should have.
((To prevent that murmur)) it means that the question is not said loudly-openly-
((soon replies)) that God doesn’t need mans work or his own gifts. Nether his talent nor his works.
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best.his state
Those who worship God best would deserve his acceptance. Those who show obedience and worship God as he like they serve God best .you don’t serve God through what you give. The talent that you have God gives you it. Worshiping God is through your talent that God gave you.
It is all connected together. You have to do your best in any condition. Even you have only one talent. You should work on it.
And post o er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait.
God doesn’t need help from you. Thousands are worshiping him over oceans and lands. They only serve who only stand and wait. Who worship God properly and wait for the judgment day. Always the judgment day in front of his eyes.
You have to do your best
The theme is: the man has to do his best with the talent he has in order to serve God.
How could he discusses this theme and to make it understood by you. The subject matter is the poet blindness. This experience is too personal even his doubts he talked about it. Then he ends with the conclusion. He starts his poem pessimistic and ends it optimistic. He starting his poem showing his weakness and end it showing his power and hope. We have paradoxes: in line number one we have light and number two we have dark. Death and number four the soul. My true account means my faith and past life serving God. Murmur is stopped by faith.
Don’t forget that John Milton wrote his most significant works-paradise lost and paradise regained- when he was blind. Two religious apices.
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2252
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الملف الشخصي:
عسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really niceعسولة الشرقية is just really nice
بيانات الطالب:

John Milton (Paradise Lost)
Last time we started Milton and we talked about the problems that faced him on writing this poem. As we said it's divided into different books and we have an argument in book one before the poem.
BOOK I
This first book proposes, first in brief, the whole subject: man's disobedience and the loss thereupon of Paradise wherein he was placed; then touches the prime cause of his fall, the serpent, or rather Satan in the serpent, who, revolting from God and drawing to his side many legions of angels, was by the command of God driven out of heaven with all his crew into the great deep. Which action past over, the poem hasts into the midst of things, presenting Satan with his angels now fallen into hell—described here, not in the center (for heaven and earth may be supposed as yet not made, certainly not yet accursed) but in a place of utter darkness, fitliest called chaos. Here Satan with his angels lying on the burning Lake, thunder-struck and astonished, after a certain space recovers, as from confusion; calls up him who, next in order and dignity, lay by him; they confer of thir miserable fall. Satan awakens all his legions, who lay till then in the same manner confounded. They rise; their numbers, array of battle, their chief leaders named, according to the idols known afterwards in Canaan and the countries adjoining. To these Satan directs his speech, comforts them with hope yet of regaining heaven, but tells them lastly of a new world and new kind of creature to be created, according to an ancient prophesy or report in heaven; for that angels were long before this visible creation, was the opinion of many ancient fathers. To find out the truth of this prophesy, and what to determine thereon, he refers to a full council; what his associates thence attempt. Pandemonium, the palace of Satan, rises, suddenly built out of the deep; the infernal peers there sit in counsil.

Book one speaks about the main subject which is man's disobedience to God and how Adam disobeyed God tempted by the serpent which is a snake and it is always linked to Satan or any person who is doing something wrong making anybody make a mistake, we say that he is like a serpent.
Here we have the main cause of the fall. Satan disobeyed God and God decided to send him out of heaven and Satan took with him some of his followers who are known as the fallen angels. He made a sort of army from those angels to fight man whom he considers the cause of punishment for Satan as he refused to bow to Adam. That's why he hated Adam and all his descendants and he decided to spend the time until Doomsday to fight man to make him disobey God and commit sins to go to hell with him.
Milton cannot present Satan in hell now because there is no hell or heaven, so instead he is describing him in a place of deep darkness a place called Chaos which means complete disorder. He uses his imagination. He imagined that Satan comes with his fallen angels like a defeated army and they are scattered around the lake.
Usually lakes in literature are parts of heaven and beautiful nature. But these are fallen angels who are supposed to be punished by God, so it is a lake of fire. They are like thunderstruck. They are burning and they are astonished. They were promised by Satan something. They followed him as man followed her for a promise good life, pleasure. This is what we call temptation like he tempted Adam and eve and that's why they are astonished.
They were exhausted coming back from battles lying down around this lake. So he comes and tries to encourage and revive them to continue fighting.
He started as a good leader and this is a human quality. He is trying to encourage his followers. He is trying to talk to the leaders showing to each one what he is going to do and how to perform it. He is promising them if you follow me, you will go to heaven again but before doing, so they should fight the new creature who has been born and settled in the new world which is man on earth.
He is telling them that this creature is new and you are created before him. In order to go to heaven he must be expelled from heaven. This is his argument. This creature is promised to go to heaven if he obeys. Satan says it's our chance to go to heaven again only if this creature is forbidden from going to heaven.
So this will be their job preventing them from going to heaven making him sinful and disobeying. In order to show his followers how to do, so he's going to have war against man. For this war he is going to make a council. The heads of his army are now sitting in the council in the place where Satan lives which is called Pandemonium and it is made of infernal. From there starts the poem.
Of Man's first disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste
Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful seat,
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That shepherd who first taught the chosen seed
In the beginning how the heavens and earth
Rose out of Chaos: or, if Sion hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa's brook that flowed
Fast by the oracle of God, I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th' Aonian mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme.
And chiefly thou, O Spirit, that dost prefer
Before all temples th' upright heart and pure,
Instruct me, for thou know'st; thou from the first
Wast present, and, with mighty wings outspread,
Dove-like sat'st brooding on the vast Abyss,
And mad'st it pregnant: what in me is dark
Illumine, what is low raise and support;
That, to the height of this great argument,
I may assert Eternal Providence,
And justify the ways of God to men.
Milton Starts with the story of disobedience of man when he ate from the forbidden tree, this was his mistake that brought death into the world. In heaven he wouldn't have died.
Man is going to regain heaven if he obeys God and according to Christianity through the crucifixion of Christ who regained his feet back in heaven. So he is telling us the story and he refers to the story of creation.
In line 25
Milton is telling us what he's going to do in this poem and what is his intention in writing this poem.
He is giving man assurance of the providence of god and he is telling man why and what are the reasons for god's ways why did God create man and why didn't he prevent him from committing a sin. He began with the story of Satan and how be tempted some of the fallen angels to follow him and how he came back to see them scattered around a lake and how he tries to make them rise again.
Remember the problem of having a tragic hero. In order to present Satan as a hero he is giving him heroic characteristics showing him as a great leader having great qualities he must be better than all his followers. He is presented as being taller than all and stronger he is showing us how he is a very huge creature able of leading his followers.
Line 270
So Satan spake; and him Beelzebub
Thus answered:--"Leader of those armies bright
Which, but th' Omnipotent, none could have foiled!
If once they hear that voice, their liveliest pledge
Of hope in fears and dangers--heard so oft
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2253
نور الـ ع ـيون
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الصورة الرمزية نور الـ ع ـيون
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 34429
تاريخ التسجيل: Sun Sep 2009
المشاركات: 280
عدد الـنقـاط : 115
مؤشر المستوى: 63
نور الـ ع ـيون will become famous soon enoughنور الـ ع ـيون will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآداب بالدمام
التخصص: أدبي انجليزي
المستوى: المستوى الثامن
نور الـ ع ـيون غير متواجد حالياً

عسولة

ادري تعبناج

بس والله الصور مو طالعين الظاهر مركز التحميل فية خلل

http://www.almlf.com/

هذا المركز ممتاز وسريع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2254
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

In worst extremes, and on the perilous edge
Of battle, when it raged, in all assaults
Their surest signal--they will soon resume
New courage and revive, though now they lie
Grovelling and prostrate on yon lake of fire,
As we erewhile, astounded and amazed;
No wonder, fallen such a pernicious height!"
He is addressing his followers and telling them how to regain heaven. Beelzebub is one of the heads of the army who tells Satan that if you speak to those fighters and then you’re your voice, they will revive again. If they hear your voice, they will have courage again.
Satan decided to talk to his defeated army and try to raise their low morals. Milton here is not going to describe how Satan looks because at that time they had a picture in their minds. Of course he doesn't want people to hate him at the beginning. He wants to present him as a hero and he cannot also lie and say that he is beautiful. So he is showing us the side that can be true that he is huge and strong which are characteristics that have nothing to do with being good or bad. He's giving us the characteristics of a leader who knows what to do and who is able to convince those fallen angels and many people to follow him.
I've chosen this part because it has many examples of how Milton makes use of the similes and the encyclopedic information. Here he is describing Satan as a leader which is something which was common at that that time.
He scare had ceased when the superior Fiend
Was moving toward the shore; his ponderous shield,
Ethereal temper, massy, large, and round,
Behind him cast. The broad circumference
Hung on his shoulders like the moon, whose orb
Through optic glass the Tuscan artist views
At evening, from the top of Fesole,
Or in Valdarno, to descry new lands,
Rivers, or mountains, in her spotty globe.
His spear--to equal which the tallest pine
Hewn on Norwegian hills, to be the mast
Of some great ammiral, were but a wand--
He walked with, to support uneasy steps
Over the burning marl, not like those steps
On Heaven's azure; and the torrid clime
Smote on him sore besides, vaulted with fire.
Nathless he so endured, till on the beach
Of that inflamed sea he stood, and called
The superior fiend means the great devil.
He is coming carrying his shield which is very large. Because the shield is huge, so Satan must be strong and huge. So Milton is not describing Satan himself but he's describing his things but we can use imagination to conclude. He is carrying this huge shield very easily.
Circumference means that this shield is appearing behind his back, it is hung on his shoulders like the moon. Moon and the stars are moving in orbits from the earth.
You can see the moon as a small round circle. At that time Galileo invented the telescope and they view that the moon was huge by a means of optic glasses. When they discovered the moon, they found that it's a full opening of volcanoes there were like spots on the moon. To describe that shield, he took us to a scientific image taken from his time.
Then he describes his spear which is one of the weapons used in war. He says that this spear is very long because he is a very huge creature. He compares the length of the spear to the tallest trees that were found at that time.
These trees were used for building ships and they took the tallest one of them to make it a mast. Of course at that time they didn't have ships moved by engines but they had masts and sails to be moved by the wind.
His spear is like the tall mast of an Admiral’s ship which is a very big ship. He's giving us extraordinary information which we call encyclopedic information we don't have much details and this is what we said that he is trying to compensate for the lack of invention.
We don't have suspense here because we know what is happening but we have fresh expressions about what was happening at Milton's time giving us information about certain inventions.
Line 300
His legions--Angel Forms, who lay entranced
Thick as autumnal leaves that strow the brooks
In Vallombrosa, where th' Etrurian shades
High over-arched embower; or scattered sedge
Afloat, when with fierce winds Orion armed
Hath vexed the Red-Sea coast, whose waves o'erthrew
Busiris and his Memphian chivalry,
While with perfidious hatred they pursued
The sojourners of Goshen, who beheld
From the safe shore their floating carcases
And broken chariot-wheels. So thick bestrown,
Abject and lost, lay these, covering the flood,
Under amazement of their hideous change.
He called so loud that all the hollow deep
Here comes Satan and found those fallen angels scattered around the lake like autumnal leaves, this is another simile. It's about the autumn of England. The leaves on the ground yellow, pale, weak and they have lost their greenness and strength. They are no more the spiritual angels of light. Now they have turned into defeated angels, so they have lost the freshness of their complexion. This information is taken from nature. In autumn the leaves fall in huge numbers. They are defeated and Satan wants to revive them. They are helpless defeated numerous yellow in color, weak.
Satan looks at them and addresses them line 315
Of Hell resounded:--"Princes, Potentates,
Warriors, the Flower of Heaven--once yours; now lost,
If such astonishment as this can seize
Eternal Spirits! Or have ye chosen this place
After the toil of battle to repose
Your wearied virtue, for the ease you find
To slumber here, as in the vales of Heaven?
Or in this abject posture have ye sworn
To adore the Conqueror, who now beholds
Cherub and Seraph rolling in the flood
With scattered arms and ensigns, till anon
His swift pursuers from Heaven-gates discern
Th' advantage, and, descending, tread us down
Thus drooping, or with linked thunderbolts
Transfix us to the bottom of this gulf?
Awake, arise, or be for ever fallen!"
He is addressing them as princes of heaven or flowers of heaven. He is trying to revive their spirits. You are strong warriors and you have to regain heaven again or you are going to stay helpless in this place forever instead of heaven. Aren't you going to try again and again to get heaven? Are you going to leave your conqueror who is now enjoying heaven referring to man who is going to heaven. Are you going to stay here forever if you don't rise now you're going to remain here forever?
He is giving them rhetorical questions to raise them. He's not really asking them but he is encouraging them raising them. He's trying to put some enthusiasm is them.
So here Milton makes us interested the story by giving this picture of Satan as a leader trying to arouse his fallen angels and we feel that he is a strong leader who knows what to do he's giving them orders to awaken and arise. His ordering them at the end.
This is how Milton is using his artistic skills. The poem is very musical. You will find internal music all the time the rhyme is very musical and this is one of the talents of Milton and this is how he is getting over the monotony and the boredom.
Next time will be the last time we will have the last poem and prepare any question.
Last time we started Milton and we talked about the problems that faced him on writing this poem. As we said it's divided into different books and we have an argument in book one before the poem.
BOOK I
This first book proposes, first in brief, the whole subject: man's disobedience and the loss thereupon of Paradise wherein he was placed; then touches the prime cause of his fall, the serpent, or rather Satan in the serpent, who, revolting from God and drawing to his side many
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2255
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

legions of angels, was by the command of God driven out of heaven with all his crew into the great deep. Which action past over, the poem hasts into the midst of things, presenting Satan with his angels now fallen into hell—described here, not in the center (for heaven and earth may be supposed as yet not made, certainly not yet accursed) but in a place of utter darkness, fitliest called chaos. Here Satan with his angels lying on the burning Lake, thunder-struck and astonished, after a certain space recovers, as from confusion; calls up him who, next in order and dignity, lay by him; they confer of thir miserable fall. Satan awakens all his legions, who lay till then in the same manner confounded. They rise; their numbers, array of battle, their chief leaders named, according to the idols known afterwards in Canaan and the countries adjoining. To these Satan directs his speech, comforts them with hope yet of regaining heaven, but tells them lastly of a new world and new kind of creature to be created, according to an ancient prophesy or report in heaven; for that angels were long before this visible creation, was the opinion of many ancient fathers. To find out the truth of this prophesy, and what to determine thereon, he refers to a full council; what his associates thence attempt. Pandemonium, the palace of Satan, rises, suddenly built out of the deep; the infernal peers there sit in counsil.

Book one speaks about the main subject which is man's disobedience to God and how Adam disobeyed God tempted by the serpent which is a snake and it is always linked to Satan or any person who is doing something wrong making anybody make a mistake, we say that he is like a serpent.
Here we have the main cause of the fall. Satan disobeyed God and God decided to send him out of heaven and Satan took with him some of his followers who are known as the fallen angels. He made a sort of army from those angels to fight man whom he considers the cause of punishment for Satan as he refused to bow to Adam. That's why he hated Adam and all his descendants and he decided to spend the time until Doomsday to fight man to make him disobey God and commit sins to go to hell with him.
Milton cannot present Satan in hell now because there is no hell or heaven, so instead he is describing him in a place of deep darkness a place called Chaos which means complete disorder. He uses his imagination. He imagined that Satan comes with his fallen angels like a defeated army and they are scattered around the lake.
Usually lakes in literature are parts of heaven and beautiful nature. But these are fallen angels who are supposed to be punished by God, so it is a lake of fire. They are like thunderstruck. They are burning and they are astonished. They were promised by Satan something. They followed him as man followed her for a promise good life, pleasure. This is what we call temptation like he tempted Adam and eve and that's why they are astonished.
They were exhausted coming back from battles lying down around this lake. So he comes and tries to encourage and revive them to continue fighting.
He started as a good leader and this is a human quality. He is trying to encourage his followers. He is trying to talk to the leaders showing to each one what he is going to do and how to perform it. He is promising them if you follow me, you will go to heaven again but before doing, so they should fight the new creature who has been born and settled in the new world which is man on earth.
He is telling them that this creature is new and you are created before him. In order to go to heaven he must be expelled from heaven. This is his argument. This creature is promised to go to heaven if he obeys. Satan says it's our chance to go to heaven again only if this creature is forbidden from going to heaven.
So this will be their job preventing them from going to heaven making him sinful and disobeying. In order to show his followers how to do, so he's going to have war against man. For this war he is going to make a council. The heads of his army are now sitting in the council in the place where Satan lives which is called Pandemonium and it is made of infernal. From there starts the poem.
Of Man's first disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste
Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful seat,
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That shepherd who first taught the chosen seed
In the beginning how the heavens and earth
Rose out of Chaos: or, if Sion hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa's brook that flowed
Fast by the oracle of God, I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th' Aonian mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme.
And chiefly thou, O Spirit, that dost prefer
Before all temples th' upright heart and pure,
Instruct me, for thou know'st; thou from the first
Wast present, and, with mighty wings outspread,
Dove-like sat'st brooding on the vast Abyss,
And mad'st it pregnant: what in me is dark
Illumine, what is low raise and support;
That, to the height of this great argument,
Milton Starts with the story of disobedience of man when he ate from the forbidden tree, this was his mistake that brought death into the world. In heaven he wouldn't have died.
Man is going to regain heaven if he obeys God and according to Christianity through the crucifixion of Christ who regained his feet back in heaven. So he is telling us the story and he refers to the story of creation.
In line 25
Milton is telling us what he's going to do in this poem and what is his intention in writing this poem.
He is giving man assurance of the providence of god and he is telling man why and what are the reasons for god's ways why did God create man and why didn't he prevent him from committing a sin. He began with the story of Satan and how be tempted some of the fallen angels to follow him and how he came back to see them scattered around a lake and how he tries to make them rise again.
Remember the problem of having a tragic hero. In order to present Satan as a hero he is giving him heroic characteristics showing him as a great leader having great qualities he must be better than all his followers. He is presented as being taller than all and stronger he is showing us how he is a very huge creature able of leading his followers.
Line 270
So Satan spake; and him Beelzebub
Thus answered:--"Leader of those armies bright
Which, but th' Omnipotent, none could have foiled!
If once they hear that voice, their liveliest pledge
Of hope in fears and dangers--heard so oft
In worst extremes, and on the perilous edge
Of battle, when it raged, in all assaults
Their surest signal--they will soon resume
New courage and revive, though now they lie
Grovelling and prostrate on yon lake of fire,
As we erewhile, astounded and amazed;
No wonder, fallen such a pernicious height!"
He is addressing his followers and telling them how to regain heaven. Beelzebub is one of the heads of the army who tells Satan that if you speak to those fighters and then you’re your voice, they will revive again. If they hear your voice, they will have courage again.
Satan decided to talk to his defeated army and try to raise their low morals. Milton here is not going to describe how Satan looks because at that time they had a picture in their minds. Of course he doesn't want people to hate him at the beginning. He wants to present him as a hero and he cannot also lie and say that he is beautiful. So he is showing us the side that can be true that he is huge and strong which are characteristics that have nothing to do with being good or bad. He's giving us the characteristics of a leader who knows what to do and who is able to convince those fallen angels and many people to follow him.
I've chosen this part because it has many examples of how Milton makes use of the similes and the encyclopedic information. Here he is describing Satan as a leader which is something which was common at that that time.
He scare had ceased when the superior Fiend
Was moving toward the shore; his ponderous shield,
Ethereal temper, massy, large, and round,
Behind him cast. The broad circumference
Hung on his shoulders like the moon, whose orb
Through optic glass the Tuscan artist views
At evening, from the top of Fesole,
Or in Valdarno, to descry new lands,
Rivers, or mountains, in her spotty globe.
His spear--to equal which the tallest pine
Hewn on Norwegian hills, to be the mast
Of some great ammiral, were but a wand--
He walked with, to support uneasy steps
Over the burning marl, not like those steps
On Heaven's azure; and the torrid clime
Smote on him sore besides, vaulted with fire.
Nathless he so endured, till on the beach
Of that inflamed sea he stood, and called
The superior fiend means the great devil.
He is coming carrying his shield which is very large. Because the shield is huge, so Satan must be strong and huge. So Milton is not describing Satan himself but he's describing his things but we can use imagination to conclude. He is carrying this huge shield very easily.
Circumference means that this shield is appearing behind his back, it is hung on his shoulders like the moon. Moon and the stars are moving in orbits from the earth.
You can see the moon as a small round circle. At that time Galileo invented the telescope and they view that the moon was huge by a means of optic glasses. When they discovered the moon, they found that it's a full opening of volcanoes there were like spots on the moon. To describe that shield, he took us to a scientific image taken from his time.
Then he describes his spear which is one of the weapons used in war. He says that this spear is very long because he is a very huge creature. He compares the length of the spear to the tallest trees that were found at that time.
These trees were used for building ships and they took the tallest one of them to make it a mast. Of course at that time they didn't have ships moved by engines but they had masts and sails to be moved by the wind.
His spear is like the tall mast of an Admiral’s ship which is a very big ship. He's giving us extraordinary information which we call encyclopedic information we don't have much details and this is what we said that he is trying to compensate for the lack of invention.
We don't have suspense here because we know what is happening but we have fresh expressions about what was happening at Milton's time giving us information about certain inventions.
Line 300
His legions--Angel Forms, who lay entranced
Thick as autumnal leaves that strow the brooks
In Vallombrosa, where th' Etrurian shades
High over-arched embower; or scattered sedge
Afloat, when with fierce winds Orion armed
Hath vexed the Red-Sea coast, whose waves o'erthrew
Busiris and his Memphian chivalry,
While with perfidious hatred they pursued
The sojourners of Goshen, who beheld
From the safe shore their floating carcases
And broken chariot-wheels. So thick bestrown,
Abject and lost, lay these, covering the flood,
Under amazement of their hideous change.
He called so loud that all the hollow deep
Here comes Satan and found those fallen angels scattered around the lake like autumnal leaves, this is another simile. It's about the autumn of England. The leaves on the ground yellow, pale, weak and they have lost their greenness and strength. They are no more the spiritual angels of light. Now they have turned into defeated angels, so they have lost the freshness of their complexion. This information is taken from nature. In autumn the leaves fall in huge numbers. They are defeated and Satan wants to revive them. They are helpless defeated numerous yellow in color, weak.
Satan looks at them and addresses them line 315
Of Hell resounded:--"Princes, Potentates,
Warriors, the Flower of Heaven--once yours; now lost,
If such astonishment as this can seize
Eternal Spirits! Or have ye chosen this place
After the toil of battle to repose
Your wearied virtue, for the ease you find
To slumber here, as in the vales of Heaven?
Or in this abject posture have ye sworn
To adore the Conqueror, who now beholds
Cherub and Seraph rolling in the flood
With scattered arms and ensigns, till anon
His swift pursuers from Heaven-gates discern
Th' advantage, and, descending, tread us down
Thus drooping, or with linked thunderbolts
Transfix us to the bottom of this gulf?
Awake, arise, or be for ever fallen!"
He is addressing them as princes of heaven or flowers of heaven. He is trying to revive their spirits. You are strong warriors and you have to regain heaven again or you are going to stay helpless in this place forever instead of heaven. Aren't you going to try again and again to get heaven? Are you going to leave your conqueror who is now enjoying heaven referring to man who is going to heaven. Are you going to stay here forever if you don't rise now you're going to remain here forever?
He is giving them rhetorical questions to raise them. He's not really asking them but he is encouraging them raising them. He's trying to put some enthusiasm is them.
So here Milton makes us interested the story by giving this picture of Satan as a leader trying to arouse his fallen angels and we feel that he is a strong leader who knows what to do he's giving them orders to awaken and arise. His ordering them at the end.
This is how Milton is using his artistic skills. The poem is very musical. You will find internal music all the time the rhyme is very musical and this is one of the talents of Milton and this is how he is getting over the monotony and the boredom.
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2256
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

اوكي بنات هذا تفريغ الشعر حق سونق / ا سونق/ ميلتون

بس بدون اخر محاضرين

بليز بنات الي عندها لا تبخل علينا

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــ

والي عندها المقارنه الصحيحه ناقلتها من دكتوره عليا تسعفني فيها بليز

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــ

وملزمه الفهم الاخيره حطيتلكم الحل فالصفحات الي قبل

بليز الي عندها حل الملزمه الاولى تحطه لنا

وموفقين بنات

دعواتكم لي بالنجاح والتوفيق
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2257
نور الـ ع ـيون
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الملف الشخصي:
نور الـ ع ـيون will become famous soon enoughنور الـ ع ـيون will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:

مشكورة يالغلا ع محاضرات الشعر

بس

عسولة

ادري تعبناج

بس والله الصور مو طالعين الظاهر مركز التحميل فية خلل

http://www.almlf.com/

هذا المركز ممتاز وسريع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2258
عسولة الشرقية
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

نور العيون + وات ايفر + اي عضوة او يوزره شافت مشاركتي حقت ملزمه الفهم

الي بصفحه 225 من صفحات هذا الموضوع

ترا عدلت عليه

اول كان رابط واحد اللحين رابطين

روحوا شيكوا
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2259
نور الـ ع ـيون
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

>> شكلي بتكفخ

عسووولة شفته بعد التعديل الصفحة الثانية بس تطلع لكن الاولى لا

بليز ارفعي الصفحة الاولى ثاني مرة عشاني :c8:
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2010- 6- 13   #2260
M.A.S
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 52334
تاريخ التسجيل: Fri Jun 2010
المشاركات: 838
عدد الـنقـاط : 176
مؤشر المستوى: 66
M.A.S has a spectacular aura aboutM.A.S has a spectacular aura about
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب
التخصص: كليه الآداب
M.A.S غير متواجد حالياً

يعطيييك العافيه عسوله <3<3<3
بس هذا التفريغ من محاضرات د.عليا ؟؟
لأن فيه بالتفريغ اشياء مثل Line 300 في بارادايس لوست !
احنا ماخذنا هالاشياء !
  رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

الكلمات الدلالية (Tags)
2nd, cafe, english, students, year

« الموضوع السابق | الموضوع التالي »

الذين يشاهدون محتوى الموضوع الآن : 1 ( الأعضاء 0 والزوار 1)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

المواضيع المتشابهه
الموضوع كاتب الموضوع المنتدى مشاركات آخر مشاركة
Fourth year ENGLISH students mesho ~ منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام 138 2010- 8- 15 04:49 PM