ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام

العودة   ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام > ساحة طلاب وطالبات الإنتظام > ملتقى طلاب الانتظام جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن (الدمام) > ملتقى كليات العلوم والأداب - جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن > منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام
التسجيل الكويزاتإضافة كويزمواعيد التسجيل التعليمـــات المجموعات  

منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام ; مساحة للتعاون و تبادل الخبرات بين طالبات كلية الآداب بالدمام و نقل آخر الأخبار و المستجدات .

موضوع مغلق

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3231
سيموسا
أكـاديـمـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 59806
تاريخ التسجيل: Wed Sep 2010
المشاركات: 88
الـجنــس : أنـثـى
عدد الـنقـاط : 50
مؤشر المستوى: 57
سيموسا will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب بالدمام
الدراسة: انتظام
التخصص: انقلش
المستوى: المستوى السابع
 الأوسمة و جوائز  بيانات الاتصال بالعضو  اخر مواضيع العضو
سيموسا غير متواجد حالياً
رد: Third Year's Students Come Here To Be One Hand

Roony bnt 7sony

مافي في فجر..

بنات الله يوفقكم ابي محاضرات فوزية بعد الميد..ساعدوني الله يوفقكم ويسهلكم يارب

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3232
E x i T
أكـاديـمـي فـضـي

الصورة الرمزية E x i T
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 15636
تاريخ التسجيل: Sat Nov 2008
العمر: 34
المشاركات: 578
عدد الـنقـاط : 136
مؤشر المستوى: 69
E x i T will become famous soon enoughE x i T will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: جامعه الملك الفيصل عن بعد
الدراسة: انتساب
التخصص: ادارة اعمال
E x i T غير متواجد حالياً

اقتباس:
اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة jawaher
holly thursday by blake
انا سالت دكتورة علياء قالت لا مومعانا

متأكككككده ؟؟
~
plz answer us

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3233
شتاء عمري
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية شتاء عمري
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 45978
تاريخ التسجيل: Tue Jan 2010
المشاركات: 1,283
عدد الـنقـاط : 148
مؤشر المستوى: 71
شتاء عمري will become famous soon enoughشتاء عمري will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب بالدمام
التخصص: English
شتاء عمري غير متواجد حالياً

اكست اتوقع مايجي منها شي لان اذكر فوزيه ماشرحتها زين
كله برقراف الي قالته وعلى السريع

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3234
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 60988
المشاركات: 600
عدد الـنقـاط : 126
مؤشر المستوى: 63
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب
التخصص: لغه انجليزيه
never give up غير متواجد حالياً

POETRY
LECTURE TEN
Today we will talk about lord Byron , he is a major poet of the19thc known for his creation of the Byronic hero. He is a talented young man ,created a literary change but he was not accepted by audience, he was criticized because of his liberal ideas and his love for change in ideas and spoken works, his father died when he was 3 years old his mother took care of his education , but she was over protective he attended Harold school a significant school in England, he was excellent in sports although He was born with a club-foot. He is a rebellious character , very proud of himself and a very intelligent student he attended trinity college at Cambridge and he lived a recluse life, he was always in debt he does not know how to manage his expenses because he loved to life an extravagant life he could not afford it , he became one of the members of the house of lords , in which all of his speeches were in favor of freedom and liberty of speech.
As most of the young gentlemen in the 19th c the grand tour was very significant , young men used to go on a tour in the continent, this tour helped young men to gain experience about countries, customs , cultures and different traditions. In 1815 he got married but his marriage was unsuccessful because he had a lot of trouble with his wife and they were separated after one year of their marriage and he had a daughter from his first marriage, the separation between the couple caused a kind of scandal and this was difficult on him so he left the country and never returned he met Shellie then he went to Italy and stayed there until he died in 1824.
What is important about Byron's achievements he wrote English Bards And Scotch Reviewersin in this work he criticized certain writers and he was very harsh in his criticism using his satirical manner and he stated his own opinions about certain methods and values. Unfortunately his work received harsh criticism, during the 19th c literary magazines were very significant, they reviewed his work as scandalous and they attacked him severely and he felt hurt by this kind of criticism and this was what made him leave the country and never return.
Later on he created another great work which was Childe Harold's Pilgrimage the work was a pilgrimage don by a child through his journey he realized several things, the poem received great appraisal when it was published, it was welcomed by the readers and in that work he began to show what is known now as the Byronic hero, in Childe Harold's Pilgrimage he created a hero who was himself a rebel, he is very intelligent , he is out spoken , attractive he tried to go against traditional restrictions of mans freedom , then he wrote Manfred which was a drama in 1817 it was one of the most great plays that were written , this dramatic poem was a kind of an experiment in the legend about the man who wants to know more about what he needs to know.
One of his greatest achievements is Don Juan it received great fame and critical appreciation , many critics considered the poem scandalous , because it talks about love ,sexuality, liberty , freedom, and it attacks the political system.

The poem was written in a very long period of time , he published the first canto in 1819 and it took until 1824 to be finished which is actually the year when he died but the poem did not finish, so what did he do??? He published the first canto but the publisher was afraid to publish this kind of rebellious work, so it was published anonymously with no name of the writer or the publisher.
The work was harshly criticized for some of the scenes it contained, now what is the poem about???
The poem talks about a hero, his name is Don Juan , he was raised by his mother and when he grew up to be 16 years old he fell in love with his mothers friend, her name was Donaliza, she was married to an old man and the love between the two developed and unfortunately they were discovered, the husband was suspicious that his wife has a relation with another man , so one of the scandalous scenes is when we they were alone in the bedroom the husband rushed in with his servants and acquaintance because he wanted to catch his wife red-handed, but she covered herself with the bed sheets and nobody discovered that she was there, when the audience left of course and he discovered Don Juan's shoos when he was kneeling for his wife apologizing, it was a scandalous scene so his mother in order to avoid the scandal she sent him on a ship out of the country and the husband sent his wife to a convent she have to be punished for a period of time she had to become a nun, what happened to the young Don Juan when he went into that ship , the ship sailed and it was wrecked because there was a storm and Don Juan with others were saved, hr reached to Greek he met a young girl and they fell in love together , they both enjoyed love but the father shipped Don jean in one of the ships to Constantinople. He was bought by a sultana he was a slave but he was a young man , handsome and attractive and she became jealous because other women tried to have affairs with him , then she condemns him to death , fortunately he escaped from the penalty and he ran away until he reached Russia , he became a soldier in the army there in Russia the empress was a notorious women know for her relations with other men and she favored him as her lover, then she sent him back to England on a mission. In England he met a lady , whom again he fell in love with her , the story ends here but the poem is not finished , because the poem is not only about love affairs.
The poem is significant because it talks about a character , the Byronic hero, not only this but the poem is a representative of different societies, it reflects them , things about war, about love and sexuality, it also talks about honesty , integrity , politics , religion, all of these issues are there in the poem.
If we look at the poem and why it has been rejected by the viewers , because it was a shocking one but the poem in its self is a vey cynical and satirical one. In the poem we have variety of incidents we have variety of mood , different characters, we could see the narrator of the poem of course and we could feel the presence of the poet himself commenting on the incidents that are there so the poem is a universal one in its collection of varied things , we could see Byron's comments on love , on selfishness, on integrity and on many other values .
What is significant about his poem is the Byronic hero, who is the Byronic hero??? What are the characteristics of the Byronic hero ???
The Byronic hero is a character who became very famous in the romantic period but if you look at certain traits you will find that the Byronic hero is there in different works of art in earlier times .
Lord Byron borrowed many character traits from different works of literature , but the most important thing about the Byronic hero , that this hero does not have heroic virtue , usually a hero has certain characteristics ex. The fairy queen for Spenser it was an epic and some critics consider Don Juan as an epic , so in the fairy queen there is a story about knights one of these knights is the red crossed knight , he is a hero that represent holiness, but the Byronic hero does not have this heroic virtue the Byronic hero most of the time is considered as a rebel a against restraints, he sometimes have some dark qualities he is intellectual ,hypersensitive , has great self-respect, but the problem is that he is always an outcast isolated from society, he is moody by nature very passionate, sensitive, arrogant and very conscious of himself most of the time he rejects the moral codes of society, he has a sense of guilt because he travels a lot and most of his relations ends in a disaster.
The modern readers think that hr represents modern aspects of our modern time. The poem is composed in 17 cantos talking about the story of the character it is like novel in a verse or as an out biographical poem, the poem has many realistic portrays of the society of certain behavior and events. Unfortunately the work was not cause of the death complete because of the death of Byron in 1824.
Byron in creating his work he created a narrator who will narrate the episode of Don Juan but we could feel the presence of the poet , Byron in his poem has lots of themes which love and sexuality is one of them and this is what caused the scandal ,theme of religion , restraint of freedom of speech, injustice to weak people in society, themes about the dark side of man, the harsh political system forced on society.
The poet uses very simple language mostly colloquial, Byron discovered in reading Italian literary works that they made a blend in the language of literature by inserting the colloquial language and Byron liked the idea and did the same in his poem, he also used his satirical tone to criticize the society of Don Juan
How did Byron structured his poem???
He thought that he is working with a great poem but he does not have a plan , but he thought of writing an epic , which is a long narrative poem, where there are heroes and one main hero, characters and many episodes , it must have a great poetic elevated language , but as a romantic poet he does not want to follow the traditional rules of writing an epic usually an epic starts in the middle of things like paradise lost part one, but Byron wanted to innovate another style so he began his epic from the beginning, which is to tell the story of Don Juan from the very beginning.
Canto one talks about his birth-child education – youth- his love relation with Donaliza – his escape by the ship.
In an epic there is usually a dedication and we have one here and it is a dedication to Robert Stewart a very famous poet he was called the poet laureate.

CANTO THE FIRST.[14]
I.
I WANT a hero: an uncommon want,
When every year and month sends forth a new one,
Till, after cloying the gazettes with cant,
The age discovers he is not the true one;
Of such as these I should not care to vaunt,
I'll therefore take our ancient friend Don Juan--
We all have seen him, in the pantomime,[15]
Sent to the Devil somewhat ere his time.

The poet here wants to talk about what kind of hero he wants to talk about , he wants an un common hero an extraordinary hero, as if there is a hero every moth which actually not correct heroes are not that many the hero is in a great search for a hero , he looks through all the magazines in search of that hero the more he searches for a hero he is not satisfied he did not find what he is really searching for after this exhausting search he chose the character of Don Juan, what is known about Don Juan that he has been sent to the devil before his time, which means that this is a queer character to use. This character don't have all the qualities of a hero but we will see why Byron chose him.
5:

Brave men were living before Agamemnon[22]
And since, exceeding valorous and sage,
A good deal like him too, though quite the same none;
But then they shone not on the poet's page,
And so have been forgotten:--I condemn none,
But can't find any in the present age
Fit for my poem (that is, for my new one);
So, as I said, I'll take my friend Don Juan

The speaker is trying to show why he chose this character, first he talks about brave men who lived before Agamemnon , one of the great warriors it is the choice of the poet to create a hero out of an ordinary man , there were great heroes but they were not chosen by the poet to talk about their great deeds therefore they were forgotten , the idea here is what makes a man famous an immortal , is through the work of art , he is trying to justify his choice that he has searched and searched but have not find any hero to fit his poem and the idea in his mind so he has chosen Don Juan and notice that he describes him as his friend which means he is closer to his own personal traits .

Most epic poets plunge _"in medias res"_[23]
(Horace makes this the heroic turnpike road),
And then your hero tells, whene'er you please,
What went before--by way of episode,
While seated after dinner at his ease,
Beside his mistress in some soft abode,
Palace, or garden, paradise, or cavern,
Which serves the happy couple for a tavern.

Look how cynical he is he says that most of the poets start their epics in the middle of things and he mentioned Horace as an example and other poets did the same thing , the epic usually starts with details from the middle of things , and then the hero starts to narrate going back to the beginning, he is making fun of the way of writing from the middle of things he connected it as if two couples are sitting talking and enjoying on their sofa listening to the story he is making fun of the writers who instead create new things they imitate each other .
That is the usual method, but not mine--
My way is to begin with the beginning;
The regularity of my design
Forbids all wandering as the worst of sinning,
And therefore I shall open with a line
(Although it cost me half an hour in spinning),
Narrating somewhat of Don Juan's father,
And also of his mother, if you'd rather.

Look how cynical and satirical he is he says all poets follow the same method by starting from the middle of things but he says this does not work for me , I will be innovated , look at the use of the pronoun " mine " to show his identity s a poet as if he is going to change the tradition method of epics by starting from the beginning of the episode so his design is not going to show the wandering unless he goes back to the beginning of the incident and he considers it the worst sin, his line that he is going to begin with as if took him for an hour of spinning as if he is going in circles, which makes him dizzy of course he is being sarcastic , he will start with the family of Don Juan , why???
Because he wants to foreshadows the inherited characteristics of Don Juan that he inherited from his mother and father to show the origin of Don Juan , "if you'd rather" he is being cynical.
In Seville was he born, a pleasant city,
Famous for oranges and women,--he
Who has not seen it will be much to pity,
So says the proverb[24]--and I quite agree;
Of all the Spanish towns is none more pretty,
Cadiz perhaps--but that you soon may see;--
Don Juan's parents lived beside the river,
A noble stream, and called the Guadalquivir.

So he starts from the beginning by telling in which city the family lived in and that is Seville , Don Juan is Spanish by birth the city of Seville was known of women and rich fruits , if you do not visit the city I pity you , this is not the writers words but a proverbمثل يعني زي ما نقول ما شفتيه يوووووه اجل فاتك نص عمرك the city is pretty Cadiz may be beautiful you see it to judge for yourself, the family house is beside the river, they were from the noble heritage called Guadalquivir.
His father's name was José-_Don_, of course,--
A true Hidalgo, free from every stain
Of Moor or Hebrew blood, he traced his source
Through the most Gothic gentlemen of Spain;
A better cavalier ne'er mounted horse,
Or, being mounted, e'er got down again,
Than José, who begot our hero, who
Begot--but that's to come----Well, to renew

Spanish and Mexican names they have Don at the beginning of their names , look how cynical he is when he talks about the characters , he started by talking about the father his name is Don José , a true Hidalgo , a man of nobility but not a high rank of nobility , this man has a kind of a pure blood he does not have roots of Moor or Hebrew , he is a cavalier , like a knight but he has never been on a back of a horse , very sarcastic, he is the father of our hero .
The poet is using simple colloquial language the poem is written in stanza form but has rhyme, this is an Italian stanza that is used by very few poets like Spenser which is called ottavarima which is 8 lines ab ab ab ended with a couplet cc with a rhyming scheme this stanza form enabled Byron to write with complete liberty about his poem so the choice of stanza was very helpful .
He continued publishing the cantos of course the first as we said was published anonymously ,he continued publishing it until the 16 canto and he died before completing the work.

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3235
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:

POETRY
LECTURE ELEVEN

First of all let's talk about Shelley he is another major romantic poet he is also influential not only upon the modern writers. He is similar to Byron, he is against the regulations of life , young Shelley was well educated he read widely in Eton schools and unfortunately he embraced atheism because he was influenced by William Godwin's ideas , William's book has influential inquiry about political justice it talks about justice in general and about politics of course, because he was a democratic liberal person .
When Selleys was in collage at oxford he and his friend Hogg wrote a pamphlet and it is called The Necessity of Atheism this action was not accepted in the great immanent collages in England oxford so they expelled the 2 students Hogg and Shelley , at a later stage ironically when Shelley became an immanent poet they wanted to amend the mistake that they committed by a statue of Shelley at the entrance of the university as a kind of an apology.
The young Shelley who was rebellious in accepting all of the regulations, he had this highly spirited nature similar to Byron , both had relations with women but Byron's relations were more incestuous but Shelley's were more inspirational ex. He was married to a young girl at 16 years old they fell in love and got married, of course the marriage was not successful because both were very young and after one year he married another woman out of inspiration, all his marriages were like this.
After he was expelled from the university he faced some financial difficulties and he had kind of a stormy emotional behavior, after his marriage to Harriet Westbrook and they had a child.
Later on he met Robert Southey, he was one of the great poets known at his period, he was the poet laureate of Britain and he found out that Southey was not representing the same radical ideas that he believed in.
He met Godwin and fell in love with his daughter and they both ran a way first to Switzerland than to Italy and in Italy he sent a letter to his wife inviting her to come and live with them, this behavior is out of innocence but of course it is foolish, and his wife committed suicide
Shelly started his works by a long poem Queen Map and it has a kind of a historical importance later on he wrote Alastor it is significant and it’s a kind of an allegorical poem, it talks about the idea of the beauty of the mind then he wrote , The Revolt of Islam written in 12 cantos, it talks about the failure of the French revolution, we could see in the poem Shelley's complete search for reformation and liberty for the mind.
The 3rd major work is Prometheus Unbound Prometheus was one of the gods and in a way he took the torch which is only under gods command and gave it to the human beings in a way of sympathy because according to the myth humans don't know how to lit a fire so Prometheus who took the fire from the Olympian torch and gave it to human Zeus of Jupiter was very upset and condemned Prometheus to torment, his punishment was to roll a great piece of rock around the mountain and the moment he reaches the top the rock falls down again and he has to do it again he condemned him for continues punishment for ever because he has taken something that belongs to the gods and gave it to humans , this is the myth so Shelley took this myth and wrote the poem Prometheus Unbound it took him a whole year to finish this verse drama. Prometheus is a noble champion of the rights of man who remain year less confronted to the gods of course Shelley and Keats are great poets for writing the ode's is a lyrical poem in which it is too personal , subjective it talks about the personal feelings of the poet towards something, you feel the intensity of emotions.
The poem we are going to deal with is talking about Shelley when he heard the wailing of the west wind influenced by this he created his poem .
The poem talks about the power of the west wind it is powerful because it comes from the Atlantic. What we know about the wind in the romantic imagination is that it is a symbol of creative imagination. The speaker here experiences the presence of the west wind , he was in pain ,distressed, broken so he addressed the west wind to uplift his spirit , how???? He talks to the wind as having great power that has dominance over the earth.
In the first stanza he addresses the west wind and he describes its power upon earth and how it moves the trees , what you will notice is that he followed a specific method description.
In the second stanza he addresses the west wind and its power on stars, look at the movement.
In the 3rd stanza he talks about the power of the west wind how it could split the sea and going deep not only on the surface.
After he greatly emphasizes the power of the west wind on all of these parts of the universe then he performs his prayers, he prays to the west wind to uplift him , to carry him as it carries the dried leaves , to push him as it bushes the light clouds and the heavy clouds, move him as if it is moving the waves so as a poet he can revive his spirit and produces poetry and his poetry would spread all over the world to create new generation, this is the whole idea of the poem.
In the poem we Will notice that every image is linked to the other all the metaphors , the figures of speech all the images are linked together like a series .

Ode to the West Wind

I

O WILD West Wind, thou breath of Autumn's being

Thou from whose unseen presence the leaves dead

Are driven like ghosts from an enchanter fleeing,

Yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red,

Pestilence-stricken multitudes! O thou

Who chariotest to their dark wintry bed

The wingèd seeds, where they lie cold and low,

Each like a corpse within its grave, until

Thine azure sister of the Spring shall blow

Her clarion o'er the dreaming earth, and fill

(Driving sweet buds like flocks to feed in air)

With living hues and odours plain and hill;

Wild Spirit, which art moving everywhere;

Destroyer and preserve; hear, O hear!

The speaker here addresses the strong powerful wind , highly spirited, monstrous =wild, the wind the breath of autumn , it has a breath like man , what is so specific about autumn??? It is the season of melancholy and decay, nature is not dead but weak and sick, the green leaves become reddish, yellowish brown and dark and go with the soil, it's like being old in age , we can't see the wind but feel its presence, look at the beautiful simile here the dead leaves are described as ghosts from a magical world , the leaves are described as running away from a magician who is the wind , they are afraid they might be caught , notice the series of images, look how the poet compares the materialistic with the nonmaterialistic elements = the wind + ghost. Why is the speaker addressing the wild wind??? "hear, O hear! All of these descriptions is to make the wind listen to his plea , we do not know yet what he wants.
Look at all these colors of the leaves all of these leaves as if they have fatal epidemic diseases ,yellow pale black and sick thousands of leaves are sick nature the wind is like a roman warrior driving the leaves and the seeds look at the metaphor of the seeds, they have wing and they are driven to their burial ground we have a simile as if the seeds are dead bodies , to indicate they are going to have a new life.
Who is the sister of the west wild wind ??? it is the spring wind , imagine a burial ground carrying all these seeds like dead bodies covered by snow then the spring wind will blow its trumpet announcing life and rebirth , here we have the theme of rebirth and resurrection, in spring the snow will melt and the seeds will start to grow again, notice the cycle of seasons.
The wind is masculine in winter and here it is feminine because there is rebirth , the earth is dreaming because it is in a state of sleep from winter season .
In spring when plants start to grow it is the season of fertilization, the spring wind will drive all these fertilizing buds to feed like a shepherd as if they are flocks of sheep, all of the colors will grow again.
This wind with its masculine and feminine qualities it is like an uncontrollable wild spirit it is an invisible force, the wind is described as a destroyer because it destroys all of the leaves bush them and bury them under ground and at the same time it is it is a preserver, it carries the seeds and bury them safely underground for rebirth again in spring contrasted images here, the speaker is trying to give great qualities to the west wind so it will be in his request and answer his plea.

II

Thou on whose stream, 'mid the steep sky's commotion,

Loose clouds like earth's decaying leaves are shed,

Shook from the tangled boughs of heaven and ocean,

Angels of rain and lightning! there are spread

On the blue surface of thine airy surge,

Like the bright hair uplifted from the head

Of some fierce Mænad, even from the dim verge

Of the horizon to the zenith's height,

The locks of the approaching storm. Thou dirge

Of the dying year, to which this closing night

Will be the dome of a vast sepulchre,

Vaulted with all thy congregated might

Of vapours, from whose solid atmosphere

Black rain, and fire, and hail, will burst: O hear!

In the 1st stanza we saw the power of the wind on the land ,now we will move and see the power of the wind on the sky , what can the wind do in heaven , commotion is physical distortion in the sky, we have stars, clouds, they are in the bath of the wind, imagine heaven like a big tree in that big tree we have the clouds they are like the leaves, the night clouds are like the sick leaves the wind shakes them and they are driven.
In heavens but there is not only the light clouds but also the heavy pregnant clouds, the moving of the clouds the lightning and the shaking and rain is compared to mythological dancers in a temple, they perform a frenzy dance around the altar, an energetic kind of dance.
The wind is the song of the dying year the sound of the wind, the sound of wind is compared to a song of grief because it is an announcement of the end of the nature cycle, here the poet compares the coming of the night as if the night here as if it is a cover of grey, as if the earth is covered in darkness, the night will be like a dome, the heavy cloud that are driven and shedding rain by the power of the mighty wind rain and lightning could appear at night sometimes there is hail هيل بالانجليزي مب حق القهوة يعني البرد...وشرايكم بفنيجيل يمدحون القهوة...كني طلعت برا الموضوع..هههههه
It might case fear and horror o, hear he is addressing the wind, how is it powerful to move the clouds and cause thunder ,hail and rain.

III

Thou who didst waken from his summer dreams
The blue Mediterranean, where he lay,
Lull'd by the coil of his crystàlline streams,

Beside a pumice isle in Baiæ's bay,
And saw in sleep old palaces and towers
Quivering within the wave's intenser day,

All overgrown with azure moss, and flowers
So sweet, the sense faints picturing them! Thou
For whose path the Atlantic's level powers

Cleave themselves into chasms, while far below
The sea-blooms and the oozy woods which wear
The sapless foliage of the ocean, know

Thy voice, and suddenly grow gray with fear,
And tremble and despoil themselves: O hear!

Now the speaker is taking about the power of the west wind over the sea first he describes the Mediterranean, then the Atlantic ocean.
Now look how he describes the Mediterranean as falling asleep, it is in the early civilization it is surrounded by great areas of geographical changes because of volcanoes so many cities are under the sea because of this , the Mediterranean sea is like a sleeping person sleeping on all these civilizations he sees dreams about them he sees castles , gardens and beautiful nature, the west wind is a fierce power it awakens the sleeping Mediterranean and annoys it, because it disturbed its dream you cannot describe the beauty under the sea , the west wind disturbs also the Atlantic ocean the west wind cuts and slices the ocean into two to the deep, the sea becomes cold and faint because of the mighty and powerful wind this is an exaggeration , all of these great descriptions but what is the speaker is going to ask the wind for.

IV

If I were a dead leaf thou mightest bear;

If I were a swift cloud to fly with thee;

A wave to pant beneath thy power, and share

The impulse of thy strength, only less free

Than thou, O uncontrollable! if even

I were as in my boyhood, and could be

The comrade of thy wanderings over heaven,

As then, when to outstrip thy skiey speed

Scarce seem'd a vision—I would ne'er have striven

As thus with thee in prayer in my sore need.

O! lift me as a wave, a leaf, a cloud!

I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!

A heavy weight of hours has chain'd and bow'd

One too like thee—tameless, and swift, and proud.

The speaker says if I was young and was highly spirited but now I am in need ,he is not that weak but the speaker needs help to push him forward, if he was like he was before he would not need help from the west wind, he does not want this uncontrollable power of the west wind ,he wants the power to be controlled by him if I was young as I was earlier I would be your companion but now I have lost my powers and I need your help the speaker asks to be moved by the spirit of the wild west wind before young man as d he is no more an idealistic young man like before but now he is a man that had experienced pain , look at the word thorns of life here we have a biblical reference to Christ through his crucifixion, he says I am now suffering, look at the speaker he does not under estimate his self he is very proud of himself and he knows his powers but he knows he is weak and in distress that’s why he asks for help from the west wind to up left his spirit, he feels chained but actually he is untamed like the wild west wind the speaker shares 3 characteristics with west wind tameless, swift and proud.

V

Make me thy lyre, even as the forest is:

What if my leaves are falling like its own?

The tumult of thy mighty harmonies

Will take from both a deep autumnal tone,

Sweet though in sadness. Be thou, Spirit fierce,

My spirit! Be thou me, impetuous one!

Drive my dead thoughts over the universe,

Like wither'd leaves, to quicken a new birth;

And, by the incantation of this verse,

Scatter, as from an unextinguish'd hearth

Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!

Be through my lips to unawaken'd earth

The trumpet of a prophecy! O Wind,

If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

How is the west wind going to help the speaker, lyre = القيثارة وهي اصل كلمة ليركس
The speaker says make me your musical instrument as the forest is your musical instrument ,why his musical instrument because he is a poet I feel a stage of decay so I am like a forest the leaves are falling , if I become your musical instrument I would share your natural cycle if I am part of your cycle I would be reborn again you see how smart he is he is very talented , you have lost your musical instrument because the trees have shed their leafs and so am I but there is another side of nature when the leafs are on the trees and music would be revived again, he want the mighty spirit to be his own, he has thoughts but they are dead he wants them to be rebirth to be scattered all over the world like the seeds that may inspire other generations, he wants to be immortal by his works, he wants to be a fertilization for the future generation, look how he moves to another metaphor he compares himself like fire, he is like ember he wants the wind to feed him to help in his rebirth him make me like a trumpet for the new generation, he wants the wind to be the prophet of the new season of renewal he wants to be a singer of his own .
The poem is out of a natural phenomena , out of experience it is a kind of a vision in the speakers mind shoeing a never-ending cycle of birth growth, death and rebirth the vision has fear and terror but at the end there is hope, the poet laments the loss of original spontaneous vision in him because he is weak and distressed that’s why he needs the help of the west wind.
The poem is written in tirzarhyme stanza, written in triplets or a series of 3 lines in trisect with interlinking rhyme ab ab bcb cbc bee
Shelley did not take lt as it is he changed it , he used it but he changed the last 2 lines into a couplet, it is used for any length and brought to a conclusion by a single final line which rhymes with the 2nd line of the last stanza .
This kind of rhyme forces the reader to realize how much experiences is behind the lines, it is like a chain each stanza is linked to the other. The poem is symbolic because the wind is a symbol of the creative imagination in the romantic poetry , we have great descriptive language , very rich and highly metaphorical language .

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3236
ThE lEgEnD
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية ThE lEgEnD
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 7441
تاريخ التسجيل: Tue Jul 2008
المشاركات: 1,623
عدد الـنقـاط : 5069
مؤشر المستوى: 87
ThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآدآب للبنات بالدمام
التخصص: Englishiano0o
ThE lEgEnD غير متواجد حالياً

بدون جوان مااذكر خذينا الستانزا اللي تبدا ب هيز فاثر؟؟
>>>مع علييا
قالت بس راح ناخذ 5 ستانزاز الي رقم 8 يعني
وجزاك الله خير...

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3237
Lost 3
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية Lost 3
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 53112
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Jun 2010
المشاركات: 1,109
عدد الـنقـاط : 3898
مؤشر المستوى: 72
Lost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: الادآب بالدمآم ,
الدراسة: غير طالب
التخصص: آدب أنجليزي ,
المستوى: خريج جامعي
Lost 3 غير متواجد حالياً

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3238
ريم خان
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الصورة الرمزية ريم خان
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 52454
تاريخ التسجيل: Sun Jun 2010
المشاركات: 224
مؤشر المستوى: 60
ريم خان will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب با الدمام
التخصص: انجليزي
ريم خان غير متواجد حالياً

بنااااااااااااات بليز ابي محاضره تنترن ابي الثالثه يعني اخر محاضره من تنترن ابي
بليززززززز

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3239
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

POETRY
LECTURE SIX
Nor perchance,
If I were not thus taught, should I the more
Suffer my genial spirits to decay:
For thou art with me here upon the banks
Of this fair river; thou my dearest Friend,
My dear, dear Friend; and in thy voice I catch
The language of my former heart, and read
My former pleasures in the shooting lights
Of thy wild eyes.
In this last stanza wordsworth after he meditated poetically and imaginatively about the beautiful nature now he is addressing his young sister Dorothy, she is one year younger than wordsworth.
He says if I was not educated in such away by nature. my genial spirits = his poetic creativity, I couldn't have presented good work , he has a great educator which is nature. Without nature my poetic powers decay, but they will not because nature is there and it is a great educator and preserver of his poetic creativity.
In the fourth line look at the direct address to his sister , that she is with him and she is experiencing the same experience he had earlier, she is visiting the place for the first time, wordsworth is addressing. The repetition of the word dear is to confirm that his sister is his dear friend.
Look how he find in her voice reminiscence of his own, as if she is himself , his sister represents him.
Look at the verb catch = his sister share the same feelings
He could see in her eyes arrows of light , very beautiful metaphor, her eyes are sparkling with ecstasy, wild eyes like the wild nature. So is wordsworth happy to see the reflection of nature on his sister???
He is overwhelmed that his sister is experiencing the same experience that he had earlier. Dorothy here reminds wordsworth of his former self as if she was him when he was younger.
Oh! yet a little while
May I behold in thee what I was once,
My dear, dear Sister! and this prayer I make,
Look how he imagines that he is an aged man now, he visited the place when he was 23 years old now after 5 years he is 28 but he feels as old as if his imagination has aged , look how he speaks in the past tense as if he is now old, his imagination has aged, but it did not it is weakend, look how he request how he plea for his sister that he could see through her eyes and he could hear through her voice what he experienced in the past, now he is performing a kind of prayer performed when one feels divinely inspired , a religious deed.
Knowing that Nature never did betray
The first time we see the word nature capitalized not only for emphasis but because nature here is like a goddess a divine. If you are a lover of nature will support you it will never betray you, it is a kind of a spiritual relationship between a worshiper and a divine being.

The heart that loved her; 'tis her privilege,
Through all the years of this our life, to lead
From joy to joy: for she can so inform
Nature is a source of joy it leads from joy to joy. What is the meaningof to inform???
To inform is to tell to give information , so nature is an educator , first it leads then it informs.

The mind that is within us, so impress
With quietness and beauty, and so feed
Here nature impress with serenity and tranquility , so the mind that is informed is capable to foresee great visions, it also leads us to make the right choices. To feed like a mother nursing her babies, look at all these feminine qualities in nature. Nature is feeding, with what???

With lofty thoughts, that neither evil tongues,
Nature gives wordsworth power to transform him into a higher level, so that he will have a wider perception of life, he will be able to look at life from a different angle
Rash judgments, nor the sneers of selfish men,
All of these obstacle in life if man is fed with the power of nature he will not be bothered with gossip "evil tongues " irresponsible judgment. "sneers" = when someone looks down on you

Nor greetings where no kindness is, nor all
Even if someone greets you ,it does not feel as if it is coming from his own mind and heart
The dreary intercourse of daily life,

Troubles of daily live
Not any distressful kind of life that man have
Shall e'er prevail against us, or disturb
Our cheerful faith, that all which we behold
Is full of blessings. Therefore let the moon
Shine on thee in thy solitary walk;

Nothing will disturb us because we have nature within us , faith is a religious word. Nature supplies wordsworth and his sister with faith, it has great divine powers in it upon wordsworth , it is like a goddess.
Up till now we have three religious terms : prayer , faith, and blessings and these are blessings from nature to wordsworth and his sister.
Look how wordsworth is making a kind of prayer to the moon asking it to shine over his sister. The moon in romantic poetry is very significant because it is feminine it is the mother goddess and because it provides spiritual illumination , he wants the moon to shine on his sister which means that she will be in lighted, having spiritual illumination .
Is she walking alone???
No, she is with him but wordsworth since he is feeling older and his imagination is decaying , he feels that he will die earlier and leave her alone, so he prayers that the moon will help her if she is alone.
Here wordsworth is trying to strengthen the relation between him and nature, through showing his strong personal love to her and to show how they both are siblings like brother and sister and they are good friends as well .
And let the misty mountain-winds be free
To blow against thee: and, in after years,

Another significant factor in romantic poetry which is the wind, it is always associated with imagination, look how beautiful kind of breeze he is referring to the misty mountain winds, that carried the rain.

When these wild ecstasies shall be matured
Into a sober pleasure; when thy mind
Shall be a mansion for all lovely forms,
Thy memory be as a dwelling-place
For all sweet sounds and harmonies; oh! then,

After several years if being exposed to this beautiful natural scenery after absorbing the beauty of nature this experience is going to be reflected on you similar to wordsworth himself, he wants his sister to have the and feel the same experience he had earlier and the beauty of nature will affect her mind and will be reflected on her own imagination.
These wild ecstasies of pleasure and joy of being among the beautiful nature shall be matured, overpowered by emotion and your mind will be like a mansion, all of these beautiful memories of beautiful scenery will be in your inward eye. This memory will be a residing memory, part of yourself

If solitude, or fear, or pain, or grief,
Should be thy portion, with what healing thoughts
Of tender joy wilt thou remember me,
And these my exhortations! Nor, perchance –

When you are alone and under stress the memory of these beautiful scenes will flash back to you. Notice that wordsworth is repeating the same idea over and over again, but he is repeating it because he wishes what he has experienced to part of his sisters self, and he is sure of that because he can see it in her wild eyes and hear it in her voice. Notice the power of memory = imagination =half creation
Healing = another religious word and of course it is not materialistic healing, so he is telling his sister that you will remember me in this place you will remember us together watching and absorbing the beauty of nature.

If I should be where I no more can hear
Thy voice, nor catch from thy wild eyes these gleams
Of past existence -- wilt thou then forget
That on the banks of this delightful stream
We stood together; and that I, so long
A worshipper of Nature, hither came

Worshiper of nature = many critics thought wordsworth to be an atheist = ملحد since he is applying a lot of religious characteristics to nature , that he is a worshiper of nature , but of course he was not he has great values upon nature as a holly divine being.
The speaker here, wordsworth is trying to remind his sister that even if I am not here, separated from you, the memory of this beautiful sight is going to nourish your soul, and if I cannot ,since I am unable to find pleasure in nature, as I used to do I will get it from your eyes, Dorothy is going to be another source for wordsworth to remind him of these beautiful sceneries. Dorothy here represents wordsworth before, as if he could read in her eyes his former pleasures.
He is asking his sister will you forget our experience together???
Of course she will never forget.
Look how he declares, he announces that he is a worshiper of nature notice all these religious words : prayer, faith, blessing, healing and now worshiper .

Unwearied in that service: rather say
Another religious word = service as if he is in church and attending a service nature is like a goddess
With warmer love -- oh! with far deeper zeal
He has this love this passion for nature
Of holier love. Nor wilt thou then forget,

Another religious term =his love of nature is not an ordinary love but is a holly and divine love

That after many wanderings, many years
Of absence, these steep woods and lofty cliffs,
And this green pastoral landscape, were to me
More dear, both for themselves and for thy sake!

Wordsworth reminds his sister that they both experienced this beautiful nature, he experienced it alone in his first visit and now he could see the same feelings in the eyes of his sister in the second visit. His sister reminds him of his former self in his first visit.
Look at the imagery of height and depth these steep woods and lofty cliffs.
He adores these beautiful scenery but now they are dearer because he is sharing it with his beloved sister .
Nature is not only a landscape for wordsworth, it is an active force with great powers upon wordsworth poetic mind, this power is positive because it is inspiring him, it is anchoring his most elevated thoughts, this power is acting like a moral guidance for him, and also works as a guardian, an educator, it informs, it leads, impresses and gives blessings so, nature is like a goddess.
Notice in the presence of this scene that wordsworth recollected all his feelings about the first visit and he could see it in the eyes of his sister and hear it through her voice.
This is a long poem published within the lyrical ballads. The poem is lyrical but it is not a ballad. Some critics consider it as a monologue, which the speaker talks about his feelings and there is an audience which is his sister Dorothy. But most of the time the poem is considered as a lyrical meditative poem.
What are the themes of the poem???
We have the theme of time , the theme of mortality, the theme of memory, the theme of family relations.
This poem is considered one of the greatest pronouncement of sad music of humanity, because it talks about time and our awareness of the past , the present as well as the future. So , wordsworth presented his central idea of nature and its power upon the spirit of man and of course he is speaking about himself , about his spiritual growth and how nature fed him , how nature helped his perception.
Wordsworth created this poem in varied stanzas, some of them are verse paragraphs , some are short and some are long, and he used different styles, the whole poem is written in blank verse , in iambic pentameter , there is no rhyme.
Notice how the poem starts, the first stanza starts with the description of the beautiful nature and the green imagery that was very prevailing we call this pictorial description. Notice the slow rhythm he started the poem with, because he is meditating and contemplating upon the beautiful scenery. He followed the rhetoric of repetition which gives effect to the sounds of the scenery he is describing.
The words are simple but the difficulty is because of the length of the sentences ,he prefers to use long sentences and he likes repetition with elaboration this sometimes creates difficulty .
When he moved to the second stanza there is no harmony in the fragment of the sentence that’s why we feel it is confusing but when you analyze the fragments it will be clear the 2nd stanza is more elevated because we have richness and great effect ex. When he talks about the sensation , pleasure and tranquil restoration also the blessed mood all of this is a kind of a philosophical, meditative kind of technique even the lines we refer to as awkward because they seem fragmented.
In the third stanza , the sentence that he began with was very long and complicated. Why is wordsworth using such complicated sentences??? Why is he talking about the disorder of the world???
If he is talking about something simple ,he will use a simple technique and if he is talking about something hard and difficult he will use a difficult technique to reflect it, there is a significant connection between the idea and the context that this idea is created in. when he says " I return to thee…" there is a sense of relaxation.
The language is that of a long meditative lyric , it is skillfully achieved, the words are not difficult but there are some sentence structures that are written in a difficult way that makes them confusing.
Notice , we said that the poem is written in blank verse in iambic pentameter, but some of the stanzas seem like prose, and how some are very poetic , the stanza that has " these beauteous forms…" is the most poetic in the poem, the use of rhetoric technique, and we have to mention the repetition of certain words like those related to religious terms, the healing, the worshiping, praying… all of these words they add divinity to nature.
Pay attention how the poem starts in the present moment "five years have passed…" and then goes back to the past , then goes back again to the present and then refers to the future when he told his sister that there is going to be food for you in the future , the shift in time is very significant , so the poem begins with the present moment in observing the beautiful scenery for the second time then he moves to the past memories how these sceneries affected him with the sensation sweet and then he returns back to the present moment in the 3rd stanza and then in the last stanza he talks about how this memory is going to be as food for his sister in the future.
What is imagination for wordsworth ???
Imagination is a concept for wordsworth, a concept of power, where does this power comes from??? Does it come from nature???
No , it comes from within him, it exerts its self on the surrounding world. Nature has an external effect on wordsworth and this effect is absorbed but his imagination exerts this power on to the surroundings, in other words he is like a painter. Imagination is the force that leads wordsworth in his life it is the power that help him in recreating and portraying beautiful life.

قديم 2011- 1- 13   #3240
ريم خان
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الصورة الرمزية ريم خان
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 52454
تاريخ التسجيل: Sun Jun 2010
المشاركات: 224
مؤشر المستوى: 60
ريم خان will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب با الدمام
التخصص: انجليزي
ريم خان غير متواجد حالياً

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة never give up مشاهدة المشاركة
POETRY

LECTURE SIX

Nor perchance,
If I were not thus taught, should I the more
Suffer my genial spirits to decay:
For thou art with me here upon the banks
Of this fair river; thou my dearest Friend,
My dear, dear Friend; and in thy voice I catch
The language of my former heart, and read
My former pleasures in the shooting lights
Of thy wild eyes.

In this last stanza wordsworth after he meditated poetically and imaginatively about the beautiful nature now he is addressing his young sister Dorothy, she is one year younger than wordsworth.

He says if I was not educated in such away by nature. my genial spirits = his poetic creativity, I couldn't have presented good work , he has a great educator which is nature. Without nature my poetic powers decay, but they will not because nature is there and it is a great educator and preserver of his poetic creativity.

In the fourth line look at the direct address to his sister , that she is with him and she is experiencing the same experience he had earlier, she is visiting the place for the first time, wordsworth is addressing. The repetition of the word dear is to confirm that his sister is his dear friend.

Look how he find in her voice reminiscence of his own, as if she is himself , his sister represents him.

Look at the verb catch = his sister share the same feelings

He could see in her eyes arrows of light , very beautiful metaphor, her eyes are sparkling with ecstasy, wild eyes like the wild nature. So is wordsworth happy to see the reflection of nature on his sister???

He is overwhelmed that his sister is experiencing the same experience that he had earlier. Dorothy here reminds wordsworth of his former self as if she was him when he was younger.

Oh! yet a little while
May I behold in thee what I was once,
My dear, dear Sister! and this prayer I make,

Look how he imagines that he is an aged man now, he visited the place when he was 23 years old now after 5 years he is 28 but he feels as old as if his imagination has aged , look how he speaks in the past tense as if he is now old, his imagination has aged, but it did not it is weakend, look how he request how he plea for his sister that he could see through her eyes and he could hear through her voice what he experienced in the past, now he is performing a kind of prayer performed when one feels divinely inspired , a religious deed.

Knowing that Nature never did betray

The first time we see the word nature capitalized not only for emphasis but because nature here is like a goddess a divine. If you are a lover of nature will support you it will never betray you, it is a kind of a spiritual relationship between a worshiper and a divine being.

The heart that loved her; 'tis her privilege,
Through all the years of this our life, to lead
From joy to joy: for she can so inform

Nature is a source of joy it leads from joy to joy. What is the meaningof to inform???

To inform is to tell to give information , so nature is an educator , first it leads then it informs.

The mind that is within us, so impress
With quietness and beauty, and so feed

Here nature impress with serenity and tranquility , so the mind that is informed is capable to foresee great visions, it also leads us to make the right choices. To feed like a mother nursing her babies, look at all these feminine qualities in nature. Nature is feeding, with what???

With lofty thoughts, that neither evil tongues,
Nature gives wordsworth power to transform him into a higher level, so that he will have a wider perception of life, he will be able to look at life from a different angle
Rash judgments, nor the sneers of selfish men,
All of these obstacle in life if man is fed with the power of nature he will not be bothered with gossip "evil tongues " irresponsible judgment. "sneers" = when someone looks down on you

Nor greetings where no kindness is, nor all
Even if someone greets you ,it does not feel as if it is coming from his own mind and heart
The dreary intercourse of daily life,

Troubles of daily live
Not any distressful kind of life that man have
Shall e'er prevail against us, or disturb
Our cheerful faith, that all which we behold
Is full of blessings. Therefore let the moon
Shine on thee in thy solitary walk;

Nothing will disturb us because we have nature within us , faith is a religious word. Nature supplies wordsworth and his sister with faith, it has great divine powers in it upon wordsworth , it is like a goddess.
Up till now we have three religious terms : prayer , faith, and blessings and these are blessings from nature to wordsworth and his sister.
Look how wordsworth is making a kind of prayer to the moon asking it to shine over his sister. The moon in romantic poetry is very significant because it is feminine it is the mother goddess and because it provides spiritual illumination , he wants the moon to shine on his sister which means that she will be in lighted, having spiritual illumination .
Is she walking alone???
No, she is with him but wordsworth since he is feeling older and his imagination is decaying , he feels that he will die earlier and leave her alone, so he prayers that the moon will help her if she is alone.
Here wordsworth is trying to strengthen the relation between him and nature, through showing his strong personal love to her and to show how they both are siblings like brother and sister and they are good friends as well .
And let the misty mountain-winds be free
To blow against thee: and, in after years,

Another significant factor in romantic poetry which is the wind, it is always associated with imagination, look how beautiful kind of breeze he is referring to the misty mountain winds, that carried the rain.

When these wild ecstasies shall be matured
Into a sober pleasure; when thy mind
Shall be a mansion for all lovely forms,
Thy memory be as a dwelling-place
For all sweet sounds and harmonies; oh! then,

After several years if being exposed to this beautiful natural scenery after absorbing the beauty of nature this experience is going to be reflected on you similar to wordsworth himself, he wants his sister to have the and feel the same experience he had earlier and the beauty of nature will affect her mind and will be reflected on her own imagination.
These wild ecstasies of pleasure and joy of being among the beautiful nature shall be matured, overpowered by emotion and your mind will be like a mansion, all of these beautiful memories of beautiful scenery will be in your inward eye. This memory will be a residing memory, part of yourself

If solitude, or fear, or pain, or grief,
Should be thy portion, with what healing thoughts
Of tender joy wilt thou remember me,
And these my exhortations! Nor, perchance –

When you are alone and under stress the memory of these beautiful scenes will flash back to you. Notice that wordsworth is repeating the same idea over and over again, but he is repeating it because he wishes what he has experienced to part of his sisters self, and he is sure of that because he can see it in her wild eyes and hear it in her voice. Notice the power of memory = imagination =half creation
Healing = another religious word and of course it is not materialistic healing, so he is telling his sister that you will remember me in this place you will remember us together watching and absorbing the beauty of nature.

If I should be where I no more can hear
Thy voice, nor catch from thy wild eyes these gleams
Of past existence -- wilt thou then forget
That on the banks of this delightful stream
We stood together; and that I, so long
A worshipper of Nature, hither came

Worshiper of nature = many critics thought wordsworth to be an atheist = ملحد since he is applying a lot of religious characteristics to nature , that he is a worshiper of nature , but of course he was not he has great values upon nature as a holly divine being.
The speaker here, wordsworth is trying to remind his sister that even if I am not here, separated from you, the memory of this beautiful sight is going to nourish your soul, and if I cannot ,since I am unable to find pleasure in nature, as I used to do I will get it from your eyes, Dorothy is going to be another source for wordsworth to remind him of these beautiful sceneries. Dorothy here represents wordsworth before, as if he could read in her eyes his former pleasures.
He is asking his sister will you forget our experience together???
Of course she will never forget.
Look how he declares, he announces that he is a worshiper of nature notice all these religious words : prayer, faith, blessing, healing and now worshiper .

Unwearied in that service: rather say
Another religious word = service as if he is in church and attending a service nature is like a goddess
With warmer love -- oh! with far deeper zeal
He has this love this passion for nature
Of holier love. Nor wilt thou then forget,

Another religious term =his love of nature is not an ordinary love but is a holly and divine love

That after many wanderings, many years
Of absence, these steep woods and lofty cliffs,
And this green pastoral landscape, were to me
More dear, both for themselves and for thy sake!

Wordsworth reminds his sister that they both experienced this beautiful nature, he experienced it alone in his first visit and now he could see the same feelings in the eyes of his sister in the second visit. His sister reminds him of his former self in his first visit.

Look at the imagery of height and depth these steep woods and lofty cliffs.

He adores these beautiful scenery but now they are dearer because he is sharing it with his beloved sister .

Nature is not only a landscape for wordsworth, it is an active force with great powers upon wordsworth poetic mind, this power is positive because it is inspiring him, it is anchoring his most elevated thoughts, this power is acting like a moral guidance for him, and also works as a guardian, an educator, it informs, it leads, impresses and gives blessings so, nature is like a goddess.

Notice in the presence of this scene that wordsworth recollected all his feelings about the first visit and he could see it in the eyes of his sister and hear it through her voice.

This is a long poem published within the lyrical ballads. The poem is lyrical but it is not a ballad. Some critics consider it as a monologue, which the speaker talks about his feelings and there is an audience which is his sister Dorothy. But most of the time the poem is considered as a lyrical meditative poem.

What are the themes of the poem???

We have the theme of time , the theme of mortality, the theme of memory, the theme of family relations.

This poem is considered one of the greatest pronouncement of sad music of humanity, because it talks about time and our awareness of the past , the present as well as the future. So , wordsworth presented his central idea of nature and its power upon the spirit of man and of course he is speaking about himself , about his spiritual growth and how nature fed him , how nature helped his perception.

Wordsworth created this poem in varied stanzas, some of them are verse paragraphs , some are short and some are long, and he used different styles, the whole poem is written in blank verse , in iambic pentameter , there is no rhyme.

Notice how the poem starts, the first stanza starts with the description of the beautiful nature and the green imagery that was very prevailing we call this pictorial description. Notice the slow rhythm he started the poem with, because he is meditating and contemplating upon the beautiful scenery. He followed the rhetoric of repetition which gives effect to the sounds of the scenery he is describing.

The words are simple but the difficulty is because of the length of the sentences ,he prefers to use long sentences and he likes repetition with elaboration this sometimes creates difficulty .

When he moved to the second stanza there is no harmony in the fragment of the sentence that’s why we feel it is confusing but when you analyze the fragments it will be clear the 2nd stanza is more elevated because we have richness and great effect ex. When he talks about the sensation , pleasure and tranquil restoration also the blessed mood all of this is a kind of a philosophical, meditative kind of technique even the lines we refer to as awkward because they seem fragmented.

In the third stanza , the sentence that he began with was very long and complicated. Why is wordsworth using such complicated sentences??? Why is he talking about the disorder of the world???

If he is talking about something simple ,he will use a simple technique and if he is talking about something hard and difficult he will use a difficult technique to reflect it, there is a significant connection between the idea and the context that this idea is created in. when he says " I return to thee…" there is a sense of relaxation.

The language is that of a long meditative lyric , it is skillfully achieved, the words are not difficult but there are some sentence structures that are written in a difficult way that makes them confusing.

Notice , we said that the poem is written in blank verse in iambic pentameter, but some of the stanzas seem like prose, and how some are very poetic , the stanza that has " these beauteous forms…" is the most poetic in the poem, the use of rhetoric technique, and we have to mention the repetition of certain words like those related to religious terms, the healing, the worshiping, praying… all of these words they add divinity to nature.

Pay attention how the poem starts in the present moment "five years have passed…" and then goes back to the past , then goes back again to the present and then refers to the future when he told his sister that there is going to be food for you in the future , the shift in time is very significant , so the poem begins with the present moment in observing the beautiful scenery for the second time then he moves to the past memories how these sceneries affected him with the sensation sweet and then he returns back to the present moment in the 3rd stanza and then in the last stanza he talks about how this memory is going to be as food for his sister in the future.

What is imagination for wordsworth ???

Imagination is a concept for wordsworth, a concept of power, where does this power comes from??? Does it come from nature???
No , it comes from within him, it exerts its self on the surrounding world. Nature has an external effect on wordsworth and this effect is absorbed but his imagination exerts this power on to the surroundings, in other words he is like a painter. Imagination is the force that leads wordsworth in his life it is the power that help him in recreating and portraying beautiful life.
فديييييييييييييييييتك واللله يوفقك

موضوع مغلق

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

« الموضوع السابق | الموضوع التالي »

الذين يشاهدون محتوى الموضوع الآن : 2 ( الأعضاء 0 والزوار 2)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

المواضيع المتشابهه
الموضوع كاتب الموضوع المنتدى مشاركات آخر مشاركة
الطلبة المستجدين في كلية العلوم الزراعية والاغذية1431 New students 2010 @Ahmed@ منتدى كلية العلوم الزراعية و الأغذية 351 2010- 9- 30 10:57 AM
Fourth year ENGLISH students mesho ~ منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام 138 2010- 8- 15 04:49 PM