ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام

العودة   ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام > ساحة طلاب وطالبات الإنتظام > ملتقى طلاب الانتظام جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن (الدمام) > ملتقى كليات العلوم والأداب - جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن > منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام
التسجيل الكويزاتإضافة كويزمواعيد التسجيل التعليمـــات المجموعات  

منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام ; مساحة للتعاون و تبادل الخبرات بين طالبات كلية الآداب بالدمام و نقل آخر الأخبار و المستجدات .

موضوع مغلق

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3281
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 60988
تاريخ التسجيل: Wed Sep 2010
المشاركات: 600
الـجنــس : أنـثـى
عدد الـنقـاط : 126
مؤشر المستوى: 63
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب
الدراسة: انتظام
التخصص: لغه انجليزيه
المستوى: المستوى السابع
 الأوسمة و جوائز  بيانات الاتصال بالعضو  اخر مواضيع العضو
never give up غير متواجد حالياً
رد: Third Year's Students Come Here To Be One Hand

انا عندي حل الاسئله بنزلها بس

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3282
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:

The Rivals:
QUOTATIONS
what are we going to talk about?
We will say it is an explicit drama and we will say that there is a setback in the 18 century. In the late 17th century, a modern movement started, and then it was interrupted in the 16th century by Neo-classical drama.
And say why there is a soliloquy , because a writer started to imitate the 16th century writers and soliloquy is one of the features of 16th century writers, like Shakespeare and Ben Johnson.
Richard Sheridanبتاع satireمثلا، عن الMedieval تتكلموا عنها ،عن Cultural elementsلو لقيتوا مثلا
Sheridan is not criticizing the sentimental character. He is sympathizing with him. He arouses sympathy. his satire is not . He is satirizing Faulkland, he is satirizing people who have excess of sentimentality. There is satire, but it is not severe.}
1- Act I, scene ii :JULIA Nay, you are wrong entirely. We were contracted before my father's death. That, and some consequent embarrassments, have delayed what I know to be my Faulkland's most ardent wish. He is too generous to trifle on such a point:—and for his character, you wrong him there, too. No, Lydia, he is too proud, too noble to be jealous; if he is captious, 'tis without dissembling; if fretful, without rudeness. Unused to the fopperies of love, he is negligent of the little duties expected from a lover—but being unhackneyed in the passion, his affection is ardent and sincere; and as it engrosses his whole soul, he expects every thought and emotion of his mistress to move in unison with his. Yet, though his pride calls for this full return, his humility makes him undervalue those qualities in him which would entitle him to it; and not feeling why he should be loved to the degree he wishes, he still suspects that he is not loved enough. This temper, I must own, has cost me many unhappy hours; but I have learned to think myself his debtor, for those imperfections which arise from the ardour of his attachment.
2- Act II, scene i : Sir ANTHONY Zounds! sirrah! the lady shall be as ugly as I choose: she shall have a hump on each shoulder; she shall be as crooked as the crescent; her one eye shall roll like the bull's in Cox's Museum; she shall have a skin like a mummy, and the beard of a Jew—she shall be all this, sirrah!—yet I will make you ogle her all day, and sit up all night to write sonnets on her beauty.
' Harkee' and 'Zounds' are examples of the effect of the 16th century language.
3- Act III, scene i : ABSOLUTE 'Tis just as Fag told me, indeed. Whimsical enough, faith! My father wants to force me to marry the very girl I am plotting to run away with! He must not know of my connection with her yet awhile. He has too summary a method of proceeding in these matters. However, I'll read my recantation instantly. My conversion is something sudden, indeed—but I can assure him it is very sincere. So, so—here he comes. He looks plaguy gruff. [Steps aside.]

4- Act III, scene ii : FAULKLAND They told me Julia would return directly; I wonder she is not yet come! How mean does this captious, unsatisfied temper of mine appear to my cooler judgment! Yet I know not that I indulge it in any other point: but on this one subject, and to this one subject, whom I think I love beyond my life, I am ever ungenerously fretful and madly capricious! I am conscious of it—yet I cannot correct myself! What tender honest joy sparkled in her eyes when we met! how delicate was the warmth of her expression! I was ashamed to appear less happy—though I had come resolved to wear a face of coolness and upbraiding. Sir Anthony's presence prevented my proposed expostulations: yet I must be satisfied that she has not been so very happy in my absence. She is coming! Yes!—I know the nimbleness of her tread, when she thinks her impatient Faulkland counts the moments of her stay.

5- Act III, scene ii: JULIA I know not whither your insinuations would tend:—but as they seem pressing to insult me, I will spare you the regret of having done so.—I have given you no cause for this! [Exit in tears.]
FAULKLAND In tears! Stay, Julia: stay but for a moment.—The door is fastened!—Julia!—my soul—but for one moment!—I hear her sobbing!—'Sdeath! what a brute am I to use her thus! Yet stay!—Ay—she is coming now:—how little resolution there is in a woman!—how a few soft words can turn them!—No, faith!—she is not coming either.—Why, Julia—my love—say but that you forgive me—come but to tell me that—now this is being too resentful. Stay! she is coming too—I thought she would—no steadiness in anything: her going away must have been a mere trick then—she shan't see that I was hurt by it.—I'll affect indifference—[Hums a tune; then listens.] No—zounds! she's not coming!—nor don't intend it, I suppose.—This is not steadiness, but obstinacy! Yet I deserve it.—What, after so long an absence to quarrel with her tenderness!—'twas barbarous and unmanly!—I should be ashamed to see her now.—I'll wait till her just resentment is abated—and when I distress her so again, may I lose her for ever! and be linked instead to some antique virago, whose gnawing passions, and long hoarded spleen, shall make me curse my folly half the day and all the night. [Exit.]

6- Act IV, scene ii:ABSOLUTE
You wrong me, Lydia, you wrong me—only hear——

LYDIA So, while I fondly imagined we were deceiving my relations, and flattered myself that I should outwit and incense them all—behold my hopes are to be crushed at once, by my aunt's consent and approbation—and I am myself the only dupe at last!—[Walking about in a heat.] But here, sir, here is the picture—Beverley's picture! [taking a miniature from her bosom] which I have worn, night and day, in spite of threats and entreaties!—There, sir [Flings it to him.]; and be assured I throw the original from my heart as easily.
ABSOLUTE Nay, nay, ma'am, we will not differ as to that.—Here [taking out a picture], here is Miss Lydia Languish.—What a difference!—ay, there is the heavenly assenting smile that first gave soul and spirit to my hopes!—those are the lips which sealed a vow, as yet scarce dry in Cupid's calendar! and there the half-resentful blush, that would have checked the ardour of my thanks!—Well, all that's past!—all over indeed!—There, madam—in beauty, that copy is not equal to you, but in my mind its merit over the original, in being still the same, is such—that—I cannot find in my heart to part with it. [Puts it up again.]
1-What are the themes of “The Rivals”?
The play has some major and some minor themes. The major themes in the play include the theme of the gap between generations and the father – son relationship. Besides the other minor themes found in the play that are the theme of master- servant relationship and the theme of city life versus country live.

One of the main themes in the play is the theme of the gap between generation. It is about Lydia. She is a very wealthy girl, but she is underage. Her aunt is guardian, so she cannot marry without the acceptance of her aunt. And they talk about hero. Mrs. Malaprop is the guardian of Lydia. Lydia is her ward, underage. Sir Anthony Absolute is the guardian of Julia.
It is in the English law. William Congreve and Richard Sheridan are criticizing the English law, because it puts people underage under the authority of the guardians الوصي .
(This example can be used in answering the question about satire in the play)

Another example that shows the theme of the gap between generations is
Odd! Sir Anthony will stare to see the Captain here!”
We knew from this conversation that Sir Anthony Absolute does not know that his son; Captain Absolute, is in Bath. All of them are from London. The father does not know and he will be surprised. The coachman says that when the father knows that his son is in Bath, he will be very surprised. Because he does not tell him that he will go to Bath.
The old generations do not consider sentiments something respectable and the young generations consider sentiments. This is the effect of philosophers; Anthony Cooper (The Earl of Shaftesbury), and the French philosopher; Jean Jacque Rousseau. Both of them confirmed the importance of sentiments in our lives and related to morality. They considered sentiments (المشاعر و الحب) something immoral. The old generation. So, the old generationsمالهم دعوى بالفلاسفة الجدد they are old-fashion ماشيين على النظام القديم)). They consider sentiments immoral.
When Sir Anthony talks about women education; girls’ education, He says that girls should not get education because education corrupts them and he goes to Malaprop to inform her that he has see Lucy coming out from the circulating libraries and getting sentimental novels for Lydia.
Sir Anthony Absolute goes to Mrs. Malaprop and tells her that he just came to tell her that he has caught Lucy, the maid of Lydia, getting sentimental novels from the circulating libraries. He tells her that Lydia is reading sentimental novels at her back. Here he says his opinion. We have the theme of the gap or the conflict between generations.
In this scene Sir Anthony Absolute says very bad ideas about girls. He says that young girls should not get educated at all. It is better for them not to know how to read and write because when they learn reading, they read sentimental novels and they become disobedient, indecent, and they talk about freedom and love. He is retarded.
These are retarded or backward ideas. Mrs. Malaprop disagrees with him. She pretends to be better and she tells him that she puts Lydia into a boarding school to make her read and talk well because it is important for girls. This is her opinion. She thinks that reading well is important for girls because it's shameful for girls who don't get education to misuse the words. This is ironical.
(we can use this example in answering the question about the technique and about satire)
She taught Lydia to talk elegantly and not to misuse words and she herself misuses words. There is another theme which is part of the first one. Sir Anthony Absolute suggests for Mrs. Malaprop to make his son Captain Absolute marry Lydia. He says he would be a good match because both of them are rich and Mrs. Malaprop is a friend of Sir Anthony Absolute. She accepts saying this is a good idea. They are playing with their wards hearts as if they are toys in their hands.
Then, Mrs. Malaprop asks him if Captain Absolute will agree to marry Lydia or not, He says, " Objection!---let him object if he dare!" he says that he can never object. So, Sir Anthony Absolute is really authoritative father. He is a dictator. He chooses the wife of his son even before telling him.
(This could be included in answering the point about the theme of father-son- relationship)
Sir Anthony Absolute goes and talks to Jack, his son. He tells him that he has a wife for him. So, Jack says wonders that his father chose a wife for him without knowing. Jack objects. He tells his father that he is in love with somebody else and he has promised to marry her. He is talking about Lydia. You know that Sir Anthony Absolute, his opinion of women is very low. He thinks very low of women. He tells him that it is not a problem to break up with her. He doesn’t care about her feelings. He says that women’ they are not worth redeeming’. Jack Absolute tells him plainly that in this case he disobeys him. He will not marry the one he has chosen. Sir Anthony Absolute is very upset and he gives Jack a period of six hours and a half to reconsider his decision. Then Sir Anthony Absolute, because he is very authoritative, he threatens Jack if he refuses to carry on his orders; he will disown and disinherit him.
In a soliloquy, Jack is talking to himself and he says that his father is contradicting himself because he married his mother for love, not for money. This is the character of Anthony Absolute. He is betraying his own principles. He married the mother of Jack for the sake of love when he was young. Anthony Absolute was sentimental when he was young and when he grew old, he changed a lot and he became very harsh and materialistic.
Sir Anthony is surprised to find his son changing his attitude. He submits to his will. He becomes very. He goes and talks to his father and tells him that he’ll do whatever he likes, that he's his obedient son. he’ll do this even if he brings for him a very bad lady, even if she is old, even if she is with a hump, even if she has one eye only.
Act IV, scene i, illustrates the theme of master-servant relationship. In this scene Acres talks to David; his servant. The conversation shows that he is not only a servant but also a friend. He talks to him like a friend. Acres talks to his servant David about the challenge. He tells him that he is going to write a challenge to duel his rival Beverley. David is from the countryside also. He is talking like Acres. You will find the same language, instead of saying look he says, ' Lokee', this language shows that he is from the countryside.
Sir Anthony Absolute took his son Jack Absolute by force into the house of Mrs. Malaprop to meet Lydia. He is reluctant to go, he doesn't want to go. He is very embarrassed because he doesn't know how to meet Lydia and what to tell her.

a second major theme in the play is the theme of relations. for example We have the relationship between the father; Sir Anthony Absolute, and his son; Captain Absolute (father-son relationship). Sir Anthony Absolute was forcing him and told him, I will make you marry a lady with two humps and one eye. This shows how he is very bad dictator. Sir Captain Absolute says when his father was young, he was very sentimental and his father married his mother for love. He was very sentimental. But when he grew up, he changed.
(this is also an example of the theme of the gap between generations )
what the devil do you do with a wig, Thomas? None of the London whips of any degree of ton wear wigs now.
Here, we have The countryside versus the city. We have a kind of comparison between the city life and the countryside or the city people and the country people.

2-Discuss the classical features in the play.
There was a setback. The modern movement that ruled at the end of the 17th century was interrupted in the 18th century. there are many classical features found in the play" the Rivals" first the structure of the play is classical structure. Sheridan is using classical allusions. he also adopts the idea of using allegorical names which is a classical feature. as a classicist, Sheridan follows the three unities in his play. The mistaken identity that is found in the play is also a classical feature.
Concerning the structure of the play, the play consists of 5 acts. It has prologue and epilogue. The play starts with an exposition and then the events rise to a climax. Then we have the resolution. Act I, Scene I is the exposition. When you find an exposition, it means that Richard Sheridan follows the classical traditional technique.
in the exposition we get to know about the main characters, the main themes, the setting, and the style of the writer.
In the exposition we get to know the main characters. So, we knew that the main protagonist is Captain Absolute; the one who loves Miss Lydia Languish. She is very rich, but she has a singular taste. She is sentimental and she loves to marry a poor man. So, Captain Absolute disguises himself as a poor Ensign to attract her attention. Then we knew from this exposition that because Lydia is underage, she has an aunt who controls her fortune and she does not accept her ward to marry such a poor man. The aunt does not know how Ensign Beverley looks like and she did not also meet Captain Absolute. هم الاثنين واحد, but did not see him. If she sees him, she will not know him, because they did not meet at home. So, she does not know how Ensign Beverley looks like.
So, from this exposition we know that Lucy takes money, because all servants are like this.

We know that there are two plots. The main plot is the story of Lydia Languish and Ensign Beverley. And there is a subplot. It is about Mr. Faulkland who is in love with Julia. Julia is staying with Sir Anthony Absolute; the father, because he is her guardian as Her father died ,
As for the allegorical names that Sheridan uses in the play we have Sir Anthony Absolute: what is the meaning of absolute? When we say absolute authority, this means سلطة مطلقة. "Absolute" means tyrannical. مستبد، طاغية he thinks that he is perfect and he expects his son and anybody to obey him. when he says something, nobody should disagree with him. So, he is absolute. الكلمة يلي يقولها ما بتتكرر. Sir Anthony Absoluteis the father and Captain Absolute is the son.
Acres=فدادين . ‘Acres’ shows that the character is from the countryside.
Sir Lucius O’Trigger: الزناد بتاع المسدس Trigger is one part of a pistol. The name refers to an Irish man who loves duellingالمبارزة.Duelling is inherited from the middle ages. Until the 18th century still we have influences from the middle ages.
-Fag means servant خادم.
-Coachman.The coachman of Sir Anthony Absolute. Coachman= (carriageيلي بيسوقلوا ال).
-Mrs. Malaprop:The name has French influence. Mal in French is ألم، وجع. ‘Malaprop’ means inappropriate غير لائق. The name refers to a lady who misuses the words.تستخدم الكلمات في مواضع غير سليمة)) she misuses the English words to bring comedy; to bring laughter. Malapropism became a style in comedy.
Lydia Languish:Lydia اسم عادي, but Languish in English means laziness. The name refers to Lydia who is lazy, dreamy and sentimental. One of the sentimental attitudes is to languish on a sofa; to lie on a sofa and read sentimental novels.it was called the age of sentimentality. So, one of the sentimental attitudes is to languish on a sofa; to lie on a sofa and read sentimental novels.
So, it shows that Sheridan applies Ben Johnsonian theory of humors. The names reflect the social attitude of the characters and the characters have allegorical names. Ben Johnson took this idea of allegorical names from the medieval morality plays.
Sheridan keeps the three classical unities of time, action and place. Let we have one setting that is the city of Bath. المشهد في مدينة باث. we have the
Unity of action as the play takes place within 24 hours- within one day
This is a classical influence. (This has to do with the techniques. (Unitiesنتكلم على ال Techniques (في سؤال ال
Richard Sheridan kept the unity of place; all the events of the play happen in the city of Bath. He also kept the unity of time, because all the events happen within one day; 24 hours. No character, travels everywhere; all the events in Bath within 24 hours.

Fag
Why then the cause of all this is-L,O,V,E,-love, Thomas, who (as you may get read to you) has been a masquerader ever since the days of Jupiter.

(Since the days of Jupiter) it is a classical allusion. So, here Fag says that love makes people disguise and do other things since the days of Adam and Eve. But here he refers to Jupiter; the god of the gods for the Romans.
Sir Anthony is surprised to find his son changing his attitude. He submits to his will. He becomes very obedient Absolute says,
you before hinted something about a hump or two, one eye, and a few more graces of that kind—‘. This is what Sir Anthony told his son before. Sir Anthony says
,’ What a phlegmatic sot it is!’.This is medieval influence.
Richard Sheridan talks about the old medieval theory of humors. The phlegmatic character is very cold and reasonable.
( you have to explain the phlegmatic character).
Jack tells his father that he accepts to marry the lady he chooses for him. And he doesn’t care about her beauty because he only likes her to be normal in appearance. Sir Anthony accuses him of being phlegmatic. That is to say cold and too reasonable. After that Sir Anthony Absolute tells his son that he will write a note to tell Mrs. Malaprop that Jack will visit her directly. This is to keep the unity of time.
' Harkee' and 'Zounds'

Are examples of the effect of the 16th century language.
3-Discuss the elements of satire as a major technical device in The Rivals play.
In " The Rivals " Richard Sheridan is satirizing the legal corruption. He is satirizing the corruption at the court. Also, Sheridan is satirizing the British laws that make the guardians control the freedom of the world. He is satirizing the excess of emotion. He is satirizing Sir Lucius O’Trigger because he is Irish and because he is catholic.

For example of the corruption in the court Remember in the prologue the lawyer was bribing one of thejudges.كان في فساد في المحكمة
And fifty sons of Phoebus in the Fleet!
It is poetic. Lines are rhyming together. They mean that authors usually go to the court. ‘Fleet’ means اسطول , (jailلكن المقصود بيه السجن). They always go to jail because they are poor and they have to pay debts. So, we know now from this prologue that the situation of the authors in the 18th century was very bad. They were poor and they went to jail because of the debts. They could not pay debts for creditors, so they went to jail.
And by the generals voice will stand or fall.
The Serjeant told the attorney that at court people can plead to escape the punishment and leave the court and go to another court. People can plead يستأنفوا and change the court و يغيروا المحكمة . And they can be judged by other judges. However, in theater we cannot do that. The audiences are the same everywhere. So, any people or criminals can do this. Any people were accused of anything can do this at court. But dramatists are not allowed to do this because if a play falls in one theater, you cannot take it for another theater and it will succeed.

Also, Sheridan is satirizing the British laws that make the guardians control the freedom of the worldينتقد القانون البريطاني .
examples. And you could say that these ideas are there because of the effect of the philosophers; Shaftesbury.
It is about Lydia. She is a very wealthy girl, but she is underage. Her aunt is guardian, so she cannot marry without the acceptance of her aunt.
Richard Sheridan is criticizing the English law, because it puts people underage under the authority of the guardians الوصي .

He is satirizing the excess of emotion.
For example: Faulkand and Lydia are the characters he is satirizing for having and showing excess of emotion.
why he is satirizing them and tell me the features of the sentimentality and the dream of elopement.

This is what he is satirizing although he himself was sentimental and he was exactly like the character of Faulkland.
This is why it is called anti-sentimental comedy.
He is satirizing Sir Lucius O’ Trigger because he is Irish and because he is catholic.
He is stereotype of the Irish people. Richard Sheridan satirizes the Irish people, he uses Sir Lucius O'Trigger as a stereotype. Sir Lucius O'Trigger keeps on warming Acres up to go and duel Beverley. And he tells him that he should write a challenge. It is medieval feature. Then he says that dueling will keep Acres's honour. He says that dueling should be this evening (to keep the unity of time).
Acres says that he will go dueling preserve his hour and his ancestors'. He is not fighting for his own honour only. David told him, don't use big words. These are like false slogans. David says that fighting for his own honour and for the ancestors are false slogans. David is against the idea of dueling as if Richard Sheridan uses David to criticize the bad habit of dueling. David says that the challenge is 'a mallcious- looking letter'. It is satirizing the bad habit of dueling. Acres accuses David of being coward. Acres is coward. He is scared, he doesn't really want to go dueling but it seems that Sir Lucius O' Trigger has influenced him and pushed him and involved him in dueling but he doesn't like bloodshed.
four people are involved in dueling: Captain Absolute, Acres, Sir Lucius and Faulkland. Faulkland went with them because when he is desperate, he is not scared of death. Fag told everybody to hurry and come quickly because there will be murder soon. David expresses his hatred towards Sir Lucius O'Trigger and he says that he is the one to be blamed because he is the one who asked everybody to go dueling. This is criticism to Sir Lucius O'Trigger. It is again satire of the Irish people. Richard Sheridan is always blaming the Irish people for this idea of dueling as if it's their invention not the invention of the middle ages. Everybody hurries to prevent the mischief.
Richard Sheridan belongs to the Whigs party and the Whigs in the 18th century called a country party. He belongs to the country party. He does not like the Irish people. So, he wrote this play. He was very severe with the Irish character called Sir Lucius O’Trigger. The audience did not like this play because Sir Lucius O’Trigger looked very bloody and his character was very bad. The Irish people got offended. So, it was taken as if it is against the Irish people and it was very clear. Richard Sheridan rewrote the play in 11 days and he changed the actor because the actor was hated by the people after he played the role of Sir Lucius O’Trigger. Richard Sheridan reduced this kind of attack on the Irish people.

4-Discuss the influence of the philosophers and the public 18th century figures on the characters.
We say that Richard Sheridan has been influenced by Ben Johnson in giving his characters allegorical names. أسامي استعارية And give examples. This is not invented by Ben Johnson, but he took it from the medieval morality plays.
( here you have to mention the meanings of names- give the example of Sir Anthony when he described hi son as being phlegmatic character)
Sheridan was also influenced by George Whitfield and -John Wesley. They are the evangelists.
So, the Serjeant in the court was showing reluctance. عامل مش عايز he is showing unwillingness. He pretends that he does not see the paper. he searches for his spectacles. وين النظارات بتعتي .So, the attorney understood that he needs bribe. . He took the money and then he said,
Serjeant
The scrawl improves-(More [money is given])
He wants more money. He gives him more money. He is bribing him.( هو بيرشيه)
we understand from this that There was corruption in law or at court at that time in the 18th century.
There is a Christian influence in the play. Characters have flaws and are sinful. For example, there is Mrs. Malaprop is lusty. And we have Sir Anthony Absolute is authoritative and backward. And Captain Absolute is materialistic. However, they know, they will be saved.
at the end, Captain Absolute tells everyone that Beverley and Captain Absolute are one and the same. And he begs Lydia to forgive him and accept his love. Of course, the first thing Lydia said, and there will be no elopement. The most important thing in her sentimental dream is to elope with Beverley. She doesn't care about the scandal, it is something to be proud of for her. She tells Captain Absolute that he has ruined her sentimental dream and she doesn't want him anymore. Mrs. Malaprop interfered and she said, you are Beverley, you are the one who told on me 'the old weather- beaten she- dragon', is it you? He is very embarrassed and he asked the help of his father. He told his father, if you don't help me, I'll be finished. So, her father Sir Anthony Absolute interfered and he told Mrs. Malaprop, we are big enough, we are grown-up 'to forget and forgive'. This is a Christian note of forgiveness, a Christian note of reconciliation. Sir Anthony Absolute says, that Christian people should forget the vicious acts and forgive those who have been vicious to him. This is Christian influence in the play. So Mrs. Malaprop simply forgives Captain Absolute. Then Mrs. Malaprop and Sir Anthony Absolute left the stage and they left the couple together. Captain Absolute shows his other face. He starts to talk in a very materialistic way
These are the ideas of Christianity. All people are sinful, but we will be saved; we will reach the salvation at the end.
The play ends with a note of forgiveness. Acres forgives Captain Absolute. Lydia and Sir Lucius forgive Malaprop . Acres forgives Captain Absolute when he comes and tells him that he is Beverly
Lydia and Sir Lucius forgive Malaprop because Mrs. Malaprop pretends to be Celia . Sir Lucius believes that she is a young lady; she is Lydia. Julia forgives Faulkland. That he committed a crime. he killed somebody and he has to leave the country.
Another philosophers who influenced Sheridan was -Anthony Cooper (The Earl of Shaftesbury) and Jean Jacque Rousseau
we know their ideas on sentiments, freedom and individuality.(Young generationباينة مع ال). Both of them talk about sentiments as part of morality.
We have Lydia and Faulkland, they show excess of emotion and they are satirized by Richard Sheridan.
Captain Absolute and Julia can make balance between emotion and reason. So, they are the only sensible character in the play. They are representative the age of sensibility.
Sheridan satirized the guardians who control their ward’s freedom. (lack of sensibility) they are against emotion. They are old-fashion.

5-Discuss the technique of the play.
The setback.
And you will say that features from the 16th century appeared. So, what happened in the 18th century? There was a setback. Drama became explicit. So, are there classical features? We will see the much classical features.

-The classical features. The classical structure (5 acts, prologue, epilogue, exposition, climax, denouement and all these things.)
What are the 16th century features? Language, soliloquies, asides.
In the classical technique there are exposition, climax and there is denouement and in the middle there is disguise which makes mistaken identity which creates dramatic irony. Also, the 5 acts, the epilogue and prologue, the unities all these are part from the classical structure.
- Characterization (how he delineated his characters.) you say that there are sentimental characters and anti-sentimental characters.
Sheridan characterization is distinctive because it is realistic. You can consider Sheridan universal.
- The style of the writer. اي يلي بميز أسلوب الكاتب؟
(satire).
-Autobiographical elements.
Sir Faulkland represents Sheridan. Richard Sheridan lived in Bath. That is why he has chosen the setting at Bath. He met Elizabeth Linley in Bath. He eloped with her first and then he married her. And he fought two duelists for her sake. He fought two of his rivals. This is one of the characteristics of sentimentality. And because of his excess of sentimentality he looked ridiculous. And Elizabeth Linley left him until she died.
We know now from this prologue that the situation of the authors in the 18th century was very bad. They were poor and they went to jail because of the debts. They could not pay debts for creditors, so they went to jail. It was good time for actors, not writers. Writers were very poor at that time, but actors had better chances of living.
It is an autobiographical element. Sheridan himself was so poor and he was a writer. He used to have debts and at the end of his life he sold his all furniture. He entered jail because he could not pay when his creditors could not bear him. He did not remain as a member of parliament and he entered the jail because he could not pay his debts.

The structure (write about how the play is divided into 5 acts, it has a prologue and epilogue- act I scene I is the exposition)
the climax of the play is the discovery scene, it is when Lydia came down from upstairs. She doesn't want to look to Captain Absolute. So, she keeps putting her face in aside ways. Then Captain Absolute starts talking to Lydia aside. He asks her to talk to him but don't get shocked. She said, this is Beverley, how can Beverley fool the father of Captain Absolute?
in this play, we find two prologues. It is something strange to find two prologues. The first prologue was written by Richard Sheridan at the first time when he wrote the play. It is classical feature. Because it is the Neo-classical age. One of these classical features is to begin the play with a prologue and to end it in an epilogue.
(this should be written in answering the question about the classical features in the play)
Here we find like a very short play or a dramatic scene and this is new. Any classical prologue is written in blank verse; poetry. It has a poetic form and it is blank verse. But Richard Sheridan is experimenting with a new form for the prologue. He made something new.
When Richard Sheridan first wrote the play he made this prologue, but it does not have a poetic form, it has dramatic form. It was written in a form of a dramatic scene.
Attorney
Some sons of Phoebus in the courts we meet,
‘some sons of Phoebus’. Here there is a classical allusion; references.
By Phoebus he means the god of poetry at that time and this is classical allusion. The doctor: very good. So, here there is classical allusion. In the prologue Richard Sheridan refers to Phoebus Apollo; the god of poetry. Poetry.In the classical time when they say poetry, they refer to art in general ( يقصدو الفن عامة).
And by the generals voice will stand or fall.
This is the first prologue. This is not a traditional form of a prologue. It is one of the classical elements to write a prologue, however, Richard Sheridan changes in the form of the prologue. Instead of being poetic in form, it was dramatic. It is classical of course to write a prologue in blank verse, however, he made some changes. He made some changes.
He made the prologue, but differently. There is no blank verse. It is poetic, but not blank verse, maybe heroic couplets.
Now, there is the other prologue. After eleven days Richard Sheridan wrote another prologue. Mrs. Bulkley is the one who plays Julia. She is a sensible character متعقلة and she says the prologue. The second prologue is written in heroic couplets. It took the traditional poetic form, however, it is not written in blank verse but in heroic couplets. Mrs. Bulkley the actress who plays Julia says that prologue, she addresses the audience and she talks about comedy and tragedy as two sisters. She says that comedy cheers people up. So, it is better than tragedy that saddens the people. Then she says that the characters in the 18th century comedy are not realistic and often sentimental. Comedy entertains the audience with humor comedy, moral lessons and sentimental scenes while tragedy includes blood, revenge, hatred, plotsحيل and unhappiness. So, she is telling us something about the age. there were two kinds of drama in the 18th century. There was a tragedy called pseudo classical tragedy. The writers were imitating classical tragedy because it was the Neo-classical age. Pseudo= (classical tragedyشبه أو تقليد لل )
It fell and that is why we only study comedy in the 18th century. Comedy was popular. And we used to have comedy of manners and comedy of manner was two kinds; sentimental and anti-sentimental.
So, in the second prologue she is talking about a fact in society. She talks about the fact in theater at that time. Julia is talking about a fact. (بتتكلم عن واقع المسرح في القرن 18). Tragedy and comedy are like sisters. she is talking about this sister and talking about this other sister and comparing them together. So, from the prologue we do not learn about the play. Usually, the prologue and epilogue are addressed to the audience. It does not talk much about the play.
In the 18th century Richard Sheridan was influenced by all the adopted Ben Johnsonian concept of theory of humor. So, he delineated characters as humors. Ben Johnson is from the the 17th century.
( here you have to mention the meanings of the names)
So, it shows that Sheridan applies Ben Johnsonian theory of humors. The names reflect the social attitude of the characters and the characters have allegorical names. Ben Johnson took this idea of allegorical names from the medieval morality plays.
Because he wrote within one day, This is a classical influence. This has to do with the techniques. (Unitiesنتكلم على ال Techniques (في سؤال ال . Richard Sheridan kept the unity of place; all the events of the play happen in the city of Bath. He also kept the unity of time, because all the events happen within one day; 24 hours. No character, travels everywhere; all the events in Bath within 24 hours. All the events happen in Bath. Anywhere in Bath, at park, in front of a house, in a street, all these are within the borders of Bath.يبقى المكان ما تغير طالما داخل حدود مدينة باث)). This is a unity of place.

For example, He will not marry the one he has chosen. Sir Anthony Absolute is very upset and he gives Jack a period of six hours and a half to reconsider his decision. Why is it six hours and a half? Because the time of the whole play is only two hours. It is to keep the unity of time. The play originally two hours. So, he says six hours and a half because Richard Sheridan keeps the unity of time.
( explain how act I scene I is the exposition)
Act I, scene is the exposition. We get to know about the main characters, the main themes, the setting, and the style of the writer.
The play is explicit. there was A setback نكسة، ارتجاع. It was like a beginning of modern movement, but it stopped because there was a setback. There was a return to the traditional classical literature. They imitated the classical literature and drama was no more implicit, it became explicit like the drama of the 16th century, not totally but partly. In the 17th century, it was implicit drama. There was much modern feature.
soliloquies and asides are not classical features. They are features from the 16th century. They are some of the characteristic of renaissance features.
Every now and then we find a soliloquy. The play is full of soliloquies and asides because this is the effect of the 16th century drama or renaissance drama or Elizabethan drama. So the audiences know how the characters are.
There is a mistaken identity. It is a source of humour in the comedy. There is dramatic irony because the audiences know that Captain Absolute and Beverley are one and the same. Whereas Acres believes that Captain Absolute is somebody and Beverley is another person.
Acres use a new method of swearing. He always says like ‘Odds’, bottles and glasses, odds triggers’. It is a new way of swearing and he calls this’ genteel’. This is for the sake of comedy. He calls it sentimental swearing. He says he doesn’t like the way people swear. When people swear in the 18th century, they say ‘ by Jove’, Jove isJupiter; the god of the gods for the Romans, ‘by Mars, by Venus..’ In the 18th they swear by the Classical Gods. So, this is classical allusion. Acres says that he doesn’t like the way people swear referring to classical Gods like by Jove, Mars, Venus..etc. and he says that he prefers another sentimental way of swearing like ‘Odds’, bottles and glasses, odds triggers’.
Richard Sheridan talks about the old medieval theory of humors. The phlegmatic character is very cold and reasonable. Jack tells his father that he accepts to marry the lady he chooses for him. And he doesn’t care about her beauty because he only likes her to be normal in appearance. Sir Anthony accuses him of being phlegmatic. That is to say cold and too reasonable. After that Sir Anthony Absolute tells his son that he will write a note to tell Mrs. Malaprop that Jack will visit her directly.
we have Lydia, Captain Absolute and Mrs. Malaprop altogether. Here there is mistaken identity. This is part of the traditional classical technique. Mistaken identity appears because of the disguise of somebody. Then the result is dramatic irony. The dramatic irony here is that the audience and Captain Absolute know that Beverley and Captain Absolute are one and the same. But Lydia believes that Beverley is Beverley. Whereas Mrs. Malaprop believes that Captain Absolute is Captain Absolute. The only people who know the truth are Captain Absolute and the audience. Lydia talks to Captain Absolute as if he is Beverley and Mrs. Malaprop talks to Captain Absolute as if he is Captain Absolute. Mrs. Malaprop sees Lydia talking to Captain Absolute as if he is Beverley. And Captain Absolute is still dealing with her, he is nice with her. So, she says this gentleman is very patient. Even Lydia says she 'll be always loyal to Beverley. Mrs. Malaprop believes that Captain Absolute bears her.
Then Sir Lucius O'Trigger visits Acres. They are friends. Acres talks to Sir Lucius O'Trigger and he tells him that he is very upset because Lydia leaves him and she is in love with Beverley. We know that Sir because he is Irish. This is stereotype of the Irish people. In the technique Lucius O'Trigger is bloody we can say that Richard Sheridan changed the play and the actors because he was against him. But still he creates a stereotype of the Irish people
Sir Lucius got shocked and, because it is comedy, everybody laughed. In a comedy, there must be happy ending. The main plot is finished. The subplot, Julia goes to Faulkland and she tells him that she has forgiven him because of her deep love to him and they get reconciled. Sir Anthony Absolute tells Julia that he accepts her marriage from Faulkland because of his sincere love to her. Sir Anthony Absolute decides to marry Mrs. Malaprop. Acres invites everybody to go to the New Rooms where there will be musical party. This is the end of the play. It ends happily because it is a comedy. What kind of comedy of manners is it? it is anti-sentimental comedy.
Sir Lucius O’Trigger: الزناد بتاع المسدس Trigger is one part of a pistol. The name refers to an Irish man who loves duellingالمبارزة.Duelling is inherited from the middle ages. Until the 18th century still we have influences from the middle ages.
[align=left][/align][align=left][/align]

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3283
SUMMO
أكـاديـمـي نــشـط

الصورة الرمزية SUMMO
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 58602
تاريخ التسجيل: Tue Sep 2010
المشاركات: 114
عدد الـنقـاط : 72
مؤشر المستوى: 58
SUMMO will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب بالدمام
التخصص: انجليزي
SUMMO غير متواجد حالياً

lost 3

الله يوفقك ماقصررررتي ..

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3284
دآآآنة الجامعه
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الصورة الرمزية دآآآنة الجامعه
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 56086
تاريخ التسجيل: Wed Aug 2010
المشاركات: 265
عدد الـنقـاط : 143
مؤشر المستوى: 59
دآآآنة الجامعه will become famous soon enoughدآآآنة الجامعه will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآداب بالدمام
التخصص: أدب إنجليزي
المستوى: المستوى الثامن
دآآآنة الجامعه غير متواجد حالياً

بنات ممكن سؤال؟
نقدر ندخل الدكشنري الألي مهانا بإختبار الترجمه ارجاء الرد للأهميه تكفون؟

الله يوفقكم وتنجحون

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3285
Lost 3
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية Lost 3
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 53112
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Jun 2010
المشاركات: 1,109
عدد الـنقـاط : 3898
مؤشر المستوى: 72
Lost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond reputeLost 3 has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: الادآب بالدمآم ,
الدراسة: غير طالب
التخصص: آدب أنجليزي ,
المستوى: خريج جامعي
Lost 3 غير متواجد حالياً

never give up
الله يوفقك ياااااااااااااااااارب

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3286
أخت أخوها
أكـاديـمـي مـشـارك

الصورة الرمزية أخت أخوها
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 3974
تاريخ التسجيل: Fri Feb 2008
المشاركات: 2,060
عدد الـنقـاط : 2485
مؤشر المستوى: 89
أخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond reputeأخت أخوها has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب بالدمام
التخصص: English
المستوى: خريج جامعي
أخت أخوها غير متواجد حالياً

بالنسبة للدكشنري الالي

اذا مع سلوى

ماترررررررررضى ابد ابد

بس ليلى مادري عنها

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3287
ThE lEgEnD
أكـاديـمـي ألـمـاسـي

الصورة الرمزية ThE lEgEnD
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 7441
تاريخ التسجيل: Tue Jul 2008
المشاركات: 1,623
عدد الـنقـاط : 5069
مؤشر المستوى: 87
ThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond reputeThE lEgEnD has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآدآب للبنات بالدمام
التخصص: Englishiano0o
ThE lEgEnD غير متواجد حالياً

كلهم مايرضون دخلي كتاب القاموس انجليزي انجليزي يرضون

جزاكم الله خير بنات

احوبكم...

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3288
نقوش جدار
أكـاديـمـي فـضـي

الصورة الرمزية نقوش جدار
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 45845
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Jan 2010
العمر: 30
المشاركات: 553
عدد الـنقـاط : 218
مؤشر المستوى: 64
نقوش جدار has a spectacular aura aboutنقوش جدار has a spectacular aura aboutنقوش جدار has a spectacular aura about
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: جآمعة الملك فيصل
التخصص: -
المستوى: المستوى الأول
نقوش جدار غير متواجد حالياً

Never Give Up
الله يعطيك ألف عـآفيه ويوووفقك ..

المصيبه الآن تكمن مع الـ كوتيشنز ..
اللي عندها حلهم لآ تقصر ..

وإلآ شكلي بجلس عليهم بعد ما أذاكر هالأسئله و بشوف حلهم ..

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3289
نقوش جدار
أكـاديـمـي فـضـي

الصورة الرمزية نقوش جدار
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 45845
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Jan 2010
العمر: 30
المشاركات: 553
عدد الـنقـاط : 218
مؤشر المستوى: 64
نقوش جدار has a spectacular aura aboutنقوش جدار has a spectacular aura aboutنقوش جدار has a spectacular aura about
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: جآمعة الملك فيصل
التخصص: -
المستوى: المستوى الأول
نقوش جدار غير متواجد حالياً

بنااات ..
شرح المسرحيه الثآنيه ..
من الملزمه الـ 8 مو عندي :S
حد يسدحهم هنااااا وبدعيي لها ..
تكفووون مضيعه

قديم 2011- 1- 15   #3290
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

DRAMA
LECTURE NINE

ACRES Ha! ha! you've taken notice of it—'tis genteel, isn't it!—I didn't invent it myself though; but a commander in our militia, a great scholar, I assure you, says that there is no meaning in the common oaths, and that nothing but their antiquity makes them respectable;—because, he says, the ancients would never stick to an oath or two, but would say, by Jove! or by Bacchus! or by Mars! or by Venus! or by Pallas, according to the sentiment: so that to swear with propriety, says my little major, the oath should be an echo to the sense; and this we call the oath referential, or sentimental swearing—ha! ha! 'tis genteel, isn't it?
Here we have classical allusion , Sheridan imitates the classical writers because it was the neo classical age.
Then we have a conversation in which the father tells his son that he has chosen a wife for him, he expect him to accept her and he does not tell him who she is , jack gets very angry and he tells his father I will disobey you because he has promised another lady to marry her , he tells him break up with her he is an authoritative father he thinks of his son as if he is a toy in his hand, so he gets very and with his son and tells him I will never call you jack again this is at the end of scene 1 act 2, so jack thinks that the woman his father chose is ugly so his father says:
Sir ANTHONY Zounds! sirrah! the lady shall be as ugly as I choose: she shall have a hump on each shoulder; she shall be as crooked as the crescent; her one eye shall roll like the bull's in Cox's Museum; she shall have a skin like a mummy, and the beard of a Jew—she shall be all this, sirrah!—yet I will make you ogle her all day, and sit up all night to write sonnets on her beauty.
This quotation shows how authoritative and unfair sir Antony is he is really block minded , sir Antony at the end gives his son a period of six hours and a half to reconsider his opinion, why 6 hours and a half???
It is to keep the unity of time and before going deep he threatens his son he says if you refuse I will disinherit and disown you .
ABSOLUTE Mild, gentle, considerate father—I kiss your hands!—What a tender method of giving his opinion in these matters Sir Anthony has! I dare not trust him with the truth.—I wonder what old wealthy hag it is that he wants to bestow on me!—Yet he married himself for love! and was in his youth a bold intriguer, and a gay companion!
He is criticizing his father , saying that his father married for love so how could he force me to have get married without love, he says that his father betrays his own ideals he is contradicting himself when he was young he was searching for love but when he got older he became authoritative forcing his son to marry without love , this shows conflict between generations , when people grow old the change as if there is a stereotype towards old people .
Act 2 scene 2:
We are in a park Lucy is there waiting for sir luscious O'Trigger but before he appears she says a soliloquy اقروها انتو she says that Acers is no more one of the suitors of Lydia because Mrs. Malaprop changed her mind and she accepted that jack absolute to marry Lydia and she says she will meet sir luscius O'Trigger and she will give him a letter from Mrs. Malaprop, signed Celia or Delia luscius thinks that this letter is written by Lydia which means he loves Lydia too he never thought that the letter was written by Mrs. Malaprop مين يصدق انه هالعجوز حاطة عينها على شاب صغير حتى هو ما يجي على باله يطالعها
Who are the rivals in the play? من هم المتنافسون في المسرحية ؟؟؟
Jack absolute ,ensign Beverly, Acers , sir luscius O'Trigger إذا جاء في الاختبار هذا السؤال تتكلمون عن كل شخصية
Sir luscius O'Trigger arrives he meets Lucy she gives him a letter signed Celia or Delia he took the letter and he was very happy and then he tells Lucy that he should propose to Lydia, he will leave the old aunt and propose to Lydia , he is sure that the letters are from Lydia , he gives Lucy money and she takes it she does not tell him that the letters are from Mrs. Malaprop and then he tells her come again in this place I will give you the reply of the letter tonight and if I ask you why tonight ??? it is to keep the unity of time. Before leaving fag saw Lucy and he asks her what is that in your hand you are giving to my master and she says they are love letters sent from Mrs. Malaprop fag also came to his mind that the love letters are from Lydia , then she tells him that sir Antony went to Mrs. Malaprop and told her that he wants his son jack absolute to marry Lydia , this is very important because captain absolute does not know that his father chose the same woman that he loves which is Lydia .
In scene one of act 3 we have a soliloquy by captain Absolute:
Scene I—The North Parade. [Enter CAPTAIN ABSOLUTE.]

ABSOLUTE 'Tis just as Fag told me, indeed. Whimsical enough, faith! My father wants to force me to marry the very girl I am plotting to run away with! He must not know of my connection with her yet awhile. He has too summary a method of proceeding in these matters. However, I'll read my recantation instantly. My conversion is something sudden, indeed—but I can assure him it is very sincere. So, so—here he comes. He looks plaguy gruff. [Steps aside.]
Jack will hide the fact the he love Lydia and that he chose her to be his wife, Lydia is sentimental so he will not tell her now that he will not elope he will leave it for another time , Fag told him that his father chose Lydia for him so now he will talk to his father and he will show complete obedience and tells him I will do whatever you ask me to do. He says I will accept the wife you choose for me .
Sir ANTHONY No—I'll die sooner than forgive him. Die, did I say? I'll live these fifty years to plague him. At our last meeting, his impudence had almost put me out of temper. An obstinate, passionate, self-willed boy! Who can he take after? This is my return for getting him before all his brothers and sisters!—for putting him, at twelve years old, into a marching regiment, and allowing him fifty pounds a year, besides his pay, ever since! But I have done with him; he's anybody's son for me. I never will see him more, never—never—never.
Sir Antony is very angry for the change of attitude of jack he turned to be very obedient to his father , his father tells him that I have chosen Lydia to be your wife, she is a young lady of 17 years old she is beautiful and rich jack says I don't know her any one would do he pretends that he does not know her , the father started to accuse him of being phlegmatic this is very important ,this is a medieval influences sir Antony tells his son that he will write a note to Mrs. Malaprop to tell her that jack is coming to visit her directly , why directly??? To keep the unity of time.
All of the above are examples that shows Richard Sheridan sticks to the unity of time throughout the whole play.
Now we know the character of Falkland through his soliloquy :
I think I love beyond my life, I am ever ungenerously fretful and madly capricious! I am conscious of it—yet I cannot correct myself! What tender honest joy sparkled in her eyes when we met! how delicate was the warmth of her expression! I was ashamed to appear less happy—though I had come resolved to wear a face of coolness and upbraiding. Sir Anthony's presence prevented my proposed expostulations: yet I must be satisfied that she has not been so very happy in my absence. She is coming! Yes!—I know the nimbleness of her tread, when she thinks her impatient Faulkland counts the moments of her stay.
He loves Julia very much more than his life he never meets her without threatening her هو شخصية هوائية
Richard Sheridan makes the audience sympathy Falkland , does Sheridan satirizes Falkland severely??? No he satirizes the sentimental character but not harshly don't forget that Sheridan himself is a character similar to the character of Falkland , there is an auto biographical element here Falkland mirrors Sheridan's character .
FAULKLAND They told me Julia would return directly; I wonder she is not yet come! How mean does this captious, unsatisfied temper of mine appear to my cooler judgment! Yet I know not that I indulge it in any other point: but on this one subject, and to this one subject, whom I think I love beyond my life, I am ever ungenerously fretful and madly capricious! I am conscious of it—yet I cannot correct myself! What tender honest joy sparkled in her eyes when we met! how delicate was the warmth of her expression! I was ashamed to appear less happy—though I had come resolved to wear a face of coolness and upbraiding. Sir Anthony's presence prevented my proposed expostulations: yet I must be satisfied that she has not been so very happy in my absence. She is coming! Yes!—I know the nimbleness of her tread, when she thinks her impatient Faulkland counts the moments of her stay.
Faulkland whenever he meets Julia he controls his emotions and he shows her that he is very cold, some lovers do like this, this is realistic characterization .
Faulkland goes to meet Julia, from their conversation we know he do his best to show that he is cold ,in the second time he meets her he justifies why he was cold ,he cannot show his love to Julia when a third person is there the second reason he says that he knew from her neighbor she was happy when he was absent, when he expected her to be sick and sad for his absence , he tells her that parting lovers should be upset , Julia tells him that she was really sad because he was away , however she pretends to be happy in order to avoid people proposing to her, because if people saw her crying and sad , they will think that she broke up with Faulkland so she keeps making herself look happy , Faulkland blames her that she might not be in love with him she is acting out of gratitude or duty because she is contracted to him , Julia felt very sad and she tells him that she loves him and she says stop having these fears and worries and she cried and she left, she told him to stop tormenting him .
What did he say after Julia left him???:
FAULKLAND In tears! Stay, Julia: stay but for a moment.—The door is fastened!—Julia!—my soul—but for one moment!—I hear her sobbing!—'Sdeath! what a brute am I to use her thus! Yet stay!—Ay—she is coming now:—how little resolution there is in a woman!—how a few soft words can turn them!—No, faith!—she is not coming either.—Why, Julia—my love—say but that you forgive me—come but to tell me that—now this is being too resentful. Stay! she is coming too—I thought she would—no steadiness in anything: her going away must have been a mere trick then—she shan't see that I was hurt by it.—I'll affect indifference—[Hums a tune; then listens.] No—zounds! she's not coming!—nor don't intend it, I suppose.—This is not steadiness, but obstinacy! Yet I deserve it.—What, after so long an absence to quarrel with her tenderness!—'twas barbarous and unmanly!—I should be ashamed to see her now.—I'll wait till her just resentment is abated—and when I distress her so again, may I lose her for ever! and be linked instead to some antique virago, whose gnawing passions, and long hoarded spleen, shall make me curse my folly half the day and all the night. [Exit.]
He is talking to himself like a mad man, he is very scared that she might leave him because she left in tears , he says I have lost her by my actions towards her god will punish me with a viragoيعني حرمة مافيها انوثة متسلطة على زوجها ولسانها أطول منها
Sheridan by presenting sentimental characters as Faulkland is normal but excess sentimentality in Falkland's character tells us that it is a kind sickness he means himself too because Faulkland mirrors Sheridan.

موضوع مغلق

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

« الموضوع السابق | الموضوع التالي »

الذين يشاهدون محتوى الموضوع الآن : 2 ( الأعضاء 0 والزوار 2)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

المواضيع المتشابهه
الموضوع كاتب الموضوع المنتدى مشاركات آخر مشاركة
الطلبة المستجدين في كلية العلوم الزراعية والاغذية1431 New students 2010 @Ahmed@ منتدى كلية العلوم الزراعية و الأغذية 351 2010- 9- 30 10:57 AM
Fourth year ENGLISH students mesho ~ منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام 138 2010- 8- 15 04:49 PM