ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام

العودة   ملتقى طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك فيصل,جامعة الدمام > ساحة طلاب وطالبات الإنتظام > ملتقى طلاب الانتظام جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن (الدمام) > ملتقى كليات العلوم والأداب - جامعة الإمام عبدالرحمن > منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام
التسجيل الكويزاتإضافة كويزمواعيد التسجيل التعليمـــات المجموعات  

منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام ; مساحة للتعاون و تبادل الخبرات بين طالبات كلية الآداب بالدمام و نقل آخر الأخبار و المستجدات .

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4511
Re Re
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية Re Re
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 46820
تاريخ التسجيل: Thu Feb 2010
المشاركات: 765
الـجنــس : أنـثـى
عدد الـنقـاط : 4844
مؤشر المستوى: 70
Re Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: الآآداب
الدراسة: انتظام
التخصص: E
المستوى: المستوى السابع
 الأوسمة و جوائز  بيانات الاتصال بالعضو  اخر مواضيع العضو
Re Re غير متواجد حالياً
رد: third year english student second term

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Re Re مشاهدة المشاركة
بنات بليز ابي منكم خدمه

توي جالسه بحاول افتح تشكسبير عشان ابداء احل الاسئله واذا كره

وفي هذا الرابط فيه التفريغ

Ready for the finals ? 3rd year students ONLY

بس المشكله انو مافتح على جهازي

فممكن وحده تسويله نسخ لصق هنا عشان يمديني انسخه

بليز ابي فزعه

بنات بليز ساعدوني لاتطمروون ردي

من جد احسني متوهقه مو راضي يفتح معي وابي اذاكر
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4512
Re Re
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية Re Re
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 46820
تاريخ التسجيل: Thu Feb 2010
المشاركات: 765
عدد الـنقـاط : 4844
مؤشر المستوى: 70
Re Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond reputeRe Re has a reputation beyond repute
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: الآآداب
Re Re غير متواجد حالياً

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة أنغام الحرية مشاهدة المشاركة
بناات
بما ان ماعندي نقد ولاشكسبير بطير للغويات

بخصوص الاسئله :من اي الشابترات بتجيب :الشورت كوسشنز ، الايسسايز ، والاكسرسايسز ؟؟؟؟؟
اقتباس:
اللغويات ..
تبع دكتوره نسرين ..
وهنآ ركزوآ معي على اللي قالته ..
قالت ..
الفصل 11 و 13 راح يجي منه أسأله مقآليه .. < وأكسرسآيز طبعا .. بس قصدهآ ان الأسئله المقاليه رآح تكون من هالفصلين ..

الفصل 15 رآح يجي منه الشورت كوسشن .. < نفس الشي وأكسرسآيز ..

الأكسرسآيز رآح يجي من كل الفصوب .. بس الفصل 12مهم جدآ لآن أكثر الأكسرسآيز منه .. وفصل 15 أهم شي فيه الأكسرسآيز والشورت كوسشن .. < the grammatical meaning < ركزت عليه بقوه ..

قالت لنا توقعوآ وبقوه انه رآح يكون فيه مثلي ..
فإذآ جيتوا بتذآكروآ ركزوا ..
والأفضل تمسكي ورقه وقلم ..
وكل فقره تذآكريها تكتبي عليها مثال على جنب وتتفرغي لمراجعتهم ..

قالت لنا نركز على الـ deraivation لآنه مهم جدآ ..

أنـآ أحس : < لآحظوآ انا مو كلام الدكتوره !!
سآلفة مثلي راح تجي بشكل كبير من الفصل 15 ..
والكرآكتريستك حقت الـ structure class مهمه جدا اللي بصفحه 166 ..
والله أعلم ..

هذا رد وحده من البنات في موضوع الاستعداد للإختبارات
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4513
أنغام الحرية
أكـاديـمـي فـعّـال

الصورة الرمزية أنغام الحرية
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 24234
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Mar 2009
العمر: 34
المشاركات: 371
عدد الـنقـاط : 123
مؤشر المستوى: 65
أنغام الحرية will become famous soon enoughأنغام الحرية will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: Adab :)
التخصص: ENGILISHO
المستوى: خريج جامعي
أنغام الحرية غير متواجد حالياً

ReRe : ثآآنكس
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4514
pretty
أكـاديـمـي فـضـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 14979
تاريخ التسجيل: Mon Nov 2008
العمر: 34
المشاركات: 405
عدد الـنقـاط : 453
مؤشر المستوى: 68
pretty is a glorious beacon of lightpretty is a glorious beacon of lightpretty is a glorious beacon of lightpretty is a glorious beacon of lightpretty is a glorious beacon of light
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الأداب بالدمام
pretty غير متواجد حالياً

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة lolwah مشاهدة المشاركة
تعديل ايميل هوما ...

humaadnan19@hotmail.com

شكراً قد السماء
الله يوفقك حبيبتي

ان شاء الله ترد
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4515
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 60988
تاريخ التسجيل: Wed Sep 2010
المشاركات: 600
عدد الـنقـاط : 126
مؤشر المستوى: 62
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كليه الاداب
التخصص: لغه انجليزيه
never give up غير متواجد حالياً

Shakespeare
Third year- Second semester
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The 7th lecture:د.منى حشيش
We will start a new play ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ for William Shakespeare. It is a comedy and this is my opinion. Hamlet is considered to be the most critical tragedy for William Shakespeare because it is full of modern elements which are not understood by everybody. That is why we call it difficult. A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ is the same. It is the most difficult comedy by Shakespeare because it is full of modern elements again. There is a question that imposes itself. What are the modern elements in this comedy?
Let us to the first page. The introduction of course is the same one of ‘Hamlet’. The entire introduction is the same/ the same situation/ theory of humors/ William Shakespeare is a renaissance humanist. And you know what humanism is.
Let us go to the first page.
The characters:
The first character we have is somebody called Theseus. He is the duke of Athens. Athens is the capital of Greece. Athens is a very old city; it goes back to the days of Plato and Aristotle and Socrates before the birth of Christ. Aristotle was four centuries before the birth of Christ. We expect classical elements in the play. William Shakespeare is always brings classical allusions in his plays because he is a renaissance writer. Theseus is a Greek name. He is using Greek names for some of his characters like Theseus and the one he loves; Hippolyta. Hippolyta is the Queen of the Amazons. So, Theseus; the duke of Athens, loves Hippolyta; the Queen of the Amazons, and they are going to get married. How are the Amazons? A tribe of women living by themselves in the forest. They do not allow the company of men. It is said that they used to cut off one of their breasts so that they could more easily draw to draw their swords in the face of any enemy. This is from Greek mythology. This is classical allusion. From the beginning, we find classical allusion in the play. There is a reference to Greek Mythology. William Shakespeare brings the character of Hippolyta from Greek Mythology and it is a Greek name as well. And the setting is Athens. In ‘As You Like It’, the setting is France. In the play ‘Twelfth Night’, the setting is Illyria. Illyria is in Russia. William Shakespeare talks about England and the English people, but he makes the setting not England, he makes it a foreign country whatever this foreign country is. Why does William Shakespeare avoid making his setting as England? Because Shakespeare criticizes the English society and he wants to avoid punishment by the king or the queen. Despite of this Ben Johnson is his play Volpone’, makes his setting Italy and he is punished. He went to prison by King James I. He criticizes England and King James I and the English people and King James I put him in prison, maybe because it was puritan time.
Shakespeare does not know too much about Greece. He is not really refereeing to Greece; he is not giving information about Greece. He is just talking about England. The geographical information or the historical information about Greece is not of interest for him, also his audience. He uses classical references because he is a renaissance writer only, but he is not referring to Greece. I want to add to your information one new thing. It has to do with the technique which is discovered in the 19th century. William Shakespeare was a head of his time; he uses certain technique in the 16th century and then in the 19th century, literary critics start to this technique. So, he is a head of his time because he employs modern techniques in the 16th century which are used later in the 19th century.
Shakespeare appeals to ‘defamiliarization’, a modern technique that is defined by Victor Shklovsky in the 19th century. He defamiliarizes the real by replacing England with Athens for the setting of the play. He mentions ‘Athens’ but the characters act and react as English people. They describe the English countryside (forest) with its plants and flowers. The real ‘Athens’ is far from any forests in reality. Similarly, Shakespeare uses few French words in the English conversation like ‘adieu’ which means ‘farewell’ for the sake of defamiliarization as well.
This is the technique of defamiliarization.
What is familiarization?
Familiarization= الاعتياد
Defamiliarization= كسر الاعتياد
When you study 19th century literary criticism, you will study the Russian Formalism School; school of literary criticism. It says that the form in any text is very important because it shows the meaning. A reader receives the meaning from the form of a text. From this school, there was Victor Shklovsky. And there were Roman Jakobson and Victor Shklovsky and others. In the 19th century, Victor Shklovsky comes up with the term defamiliarization and he defines it. Let us know what the meaning of defamiliarization is. I remember I told you before last semester about familiarization and defamiliarization. There is s proverb called ‘familiarity breeds contempt’. What is the meaning? When you get used to something too much, it becomes very bad. For example, If a couple; a husband and a wife, if they get used to each other so much, they started calling each other names swearing because they are very familiar, like cursing each other. They show not respect. To avoid this, we have to defamiliarize our mood of behavior/ our manners/ our life. So, that is why Victor Shklovsky discovered that defamiliarization is very important to us in life. How do we defamiliarize our lives? By putting red lines. For example, Do not allow anybody whoever he is, like your father/ mother/ husband/ fiancé to call you names or to swear. In my house I put furniture in a certain way but I get used to it, I feel bored and I start hating the place and I want to change. So, every month I start changing the places of the furniture even if they do not look nice. So, you have to make changes no matter whether it is symmetrical or not. Change is important for our souls/ for our spirits.
What about literature? How do you defamiliarize what is there? If you use traditional techniques, this is familiar/ boring. For example, if a play is to be judged in a festival/ if it is traditional, it never wins. We say it is bad play because it is traditional. How does William Shakespeare make defamiliarization in the play? By moving the setting from England to a foreign country, like Athens, France, and Illyria. This is for the sake of defamiliarization and he is talking about England, the English people, their traditions, and their habits. He is criticizing them, the plants/ the flowers in England. He does something else. He uses few French words in the English conversation, like ‘adieu’ instead of ‘farewell’. This is a problem with the 16th century audience because they are not cultured. But what is about the modern audience? They must be cultured. They must know some French. So, they must understand what is there.
Let us go back to the play. Act I, scene i is the exposition because we expect William Shakespeare to employ the classical structure of comedy. What is the classical structure of comedy? We start with an exposition and then the events rise to the climax and then we have falling events. And there is resolution at the end which is called the denouement.
ACT I
SCENE I: Athens. The palace of THESEUS.

Theseus and Hippolyta are talking. They love each other.

THESEUS: Now, fair Hippolyta, our nuptial hour
Draws on apace; four happy days bring in
Another moon: but, O, methinks, how slow
This old moon wanes! she lingers my desires,
Like to a step-dame or a dowager
Long withering out a young man revenue.
We have to wait four days.
She = moon
So, here Theseus complains to Hippolyta for waiting four whole days until the rise of the new moon which will witness their marriage. They are going to marry after four days because they are waiting for the new moon/ waiting for the crescent.
HIPPOLYTA: Four days will quickly steep themselves in
night;
Four nights will quickly dream away the time;
And then the moon, like to a silver bow
New-bent in heaven, shall behold the night
Of our solemnities
Time will pass quickly. Do not feel bad. Four days just will run like this.
From the very beginning, does William Shakespeare keep the unity of time? From the very beginning, William Shakespeare shows us that he is not going to preserve the unity of time. Theseus tells Hippolyta that they have to wait four whole days until they make their wedding party. This is a proof that there is no unity of time. Is this a modern element or a traditional element? It is a modern element.
The modern elements:
1-defamiliarization.
2-violating the unity of time.
There is somebody in the play called Egeus. He is an old man. He goes to Theseus and Hippolyta. He talked to Theseus; duke of Athens, and he complains to him from his daughter. He has a beautiful daughter called Hermia. He complains from her because she disobeys him. He wants to marry her to a young man called Demetrius but she refuses because she loves somebody called Lysander. She loves another person called Lysander. All of them are young people like teenagers/ young lovers. Theseus is supposed to judge among them. All those people are front of Theseus and he supposed to judge. Theseus is a figure of order. He listens to them. Egeus accuses Lysander in front of the duke that he has bewitched his daughter by writing love poems to her and giving her love-tokens. (Love-tokens are given from the lovers to their beloveds) and by sending messenger every now and then carrying letters, poems, and love-token things. Lysander defends himself and he tells Theseus that he loves Hermia and he does not understand why Egeus is against him. He is from a noble family and his family is wealthy is equal to Demetrius. He does not understand why Egeus prefers Demetrius to him. Theseus listens to Hermia and Hermia says that she disagrees with her father and she has chosen Lysander and she wants to marry him.
Theseus; the duke, is a theme of order in the play. He tells Hermia that he has to apply the Athenian law.
What is the Athenian law?
According to this law, Hermia has three choices. The Athenian law says that the father owns his child. He is free to make him/her or break him/her. The father is the one who helped in the creation of the child. So, he owns the child. The child has to be obedient to the father in whatever he says. The child is not free to do anything from his own will. So, the duke gives three choices to Hermia either to obey her father and marry Demetrius who has been chosen by her father or to be punished with death or to live away from men’s company like a nun forever. Because she is teenager, she rashly tells the duke that she wants to live as a nun and she will end her life like this. The duke gives her four days to think over or to review her decision and on his wedding day, she should come and tell him her decision. The duke is a figure of order. He took the side of her father because he applies the Athenian law.
So, she has three choices:
1-obeys her father
2-to be punished with death.
3-to live away from men’s company like a nun forever.
What is the main plot of the play? It is clear here. The main theme is gap between generations. The old generation is represented by Egeuswho is domineering. He controls his daughter’s will. He chooses the future husband for her. He does not give her any free choice. And the young generation is represented by Hermia, Lysander, and Demetrius. Hermia wants to be free. She wants to liberate herself from her father domination. So, this is the main theme in the play and this is the main plot and these are the main characters. According to Athenian law, the father is like a god.
After everybody leaves, Lysander talks to Hermia to comment on what happened.
P62:
LYSANDER: A good persuasion: therefore, hear me, Hermia.
I have a widow aunt, a dowager
Of great revenue, and she hath no child:
From Athens is her house remote seven leagues;
And she respects me as her only son.
There, gentle Hermia, may I marry thee;
Dowager= أرملة من النبلاء a wealthy widow. (Of great revenue) she has good fortune.

(There, gentle Hermia, may I marry thee;)he instigates her to elope with him at night.
)And to that place the sharp Athenian law
Cannot pursue us.(
لما نهرب برا أثينا، قانون أثينا ما بيطبق علينا
)If thou lovest me then
Steal forth thy father’s house to-morrow night;(
He gives her time (tomorrow night). The following day at night, you come and meet me and in the wood.
(a league without the town,) حوالي ميل من المدينة
(Where I did meet thee once with Helena,
To do observance to a morn of May,
There will I stay for thee.)
Remember the place where you were with your friend Helena and when we were celebrating the first of May, I will come and met you. So, in the following night I will meet you in this place.
She does not think; she is rash/ teenager.
HERMIA: My good Lysander!
I swear to thee, by Cupid’s strongest bow,
By his best arrow with the golden head,
She starts to swear to him that she is coming. I swear I am coming. Do not give me any time for thinking. I already made my decision. I am coming with you. So, now she swears by Cupid. Who is Cupid? He is the god of love. He is like an angel. He has wings. He is a naughty child. He has a bow and he shoots invisible arrows to the heart of lovers and makes them suffer from the agony of love. She swears by Cupid. This is classical allusion.
If you a question on the classical elements in the play, you talk about the classical allusion and you mention the Greek names of some characters. You mention Hippolyta; figure from Greek mythology and you mention Hermia swears by Cupid; the god of love, and she also swears by Venus and somebody called Dido. She swears by those three people.
So, Cupid is the god of love. He is a naughty boy with bow and arrows and he shoots his arrows to the heart of young people and makes them suffer from the agony of love.
She swears also by Venus. Venusis goddess of love and she is the mother of Cupid.
She also swears by Dido. Didois the queen of carthage who burnt herself in grief when her lover Aeneas was abroad far away from her.
This is in mythology. All these examples are classical allusions.
Helena; the friend of Hermia comes. Helena tells Hermia and Lysander that she is upset because she loves Demetrius very much and he does not care about her at all. Helena says that Demetrius used to love her very much as well until he saw Hermia. He is bewitched by her beauty and he turns his back to Helena and he keeps on following Hermia. He wants to marry Hermia. So, imagine what feelings does Helena bears. She is jilted by Demetrius. Helena used to love Demetrius and he used to love her and the relationship was very good until Demetrius saw Hermia. Hermia is very beautiful. He is bewitched with her beauty and he proposed her to her father and her father accepted his as a future husband for Hermia. And he jilted Helena. Helena is a friend of Hermia. So, she found Hermia talking with Lysander. She told them that she is upset and sad because Demetrius does not care about her anymore and she still loves him. So, Lysander and Hermia are foolish lovers/ young lovers/ teenagers. They told Helena their secret. They told her that they will elope the following day at night. They will meet in the wood and then they will escape. So, Demetrius will not find anybody except her and she can have him. So, they told her their own secret. Now after they left Helena says a soliloquy.
HELENA: Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
Helena says something very truthful; it is realist. Part of the realism of the play. So, there is a realistic element in the play. We know that William Shakespeare has been realistic as well. It does not mean that he likes to experiment with some modern techniques that he I not realistic. He is realistic. His realism is shown in the idea he is discussing through Helena.
And therefore is wing’d Cupid painted blind: دائما يرسموا كيوبيد أعمى
Cupid is always painter either blind or having his eyes bandaged. And she says why? He does not need his eyes. Lovers do not need their eyes. Lovers love with their minds, not with the eyes. This is very true. She wants to say that Demetrius is bewitched by Hermia. He loves her by his mind; not by the eyes. She believes that this is good for him. If he sees reality, she fits him/ she is good him/ she loves him. She can give him more. Hermia rejects him. Just before this quotation, Hermia tell her friend Helena that she curses Demetrius/ she frowns to him and he loves her more. He does not see that she hates him. He loves her through the mind. He is bewitched. This is what she says. This is true again because when young people love, they are bewitched because everybody believes that the one day choice is not the right one. He does not suit them, but they still live him and they do not see the truth after their relationship goes very bad.
Nor hath Love’s mind of any judgement taste;
Wings and no eyes figure unheedy haste:
And therefore is Love said to be a child,
Because in choice he is so oft beguiled.
As waggish boys in game themselves forswear,
So the boy Love is perjured every where:
For ere Demetrius look’d on Hermia’s eyne,
He hail’d down oaths that he was only mine;
And when this hail some heat from Hermia felt,
So he dissolved, and showers of oaths did melt.
I will go tell him of fair Hermia’s flight:

Hermia will disclose the secret which Lysander and Hermia have entrusted to her.Is she a good friend? She is not a good friend. Is she envious of Hermia? Yes, she is envious of Hermia. Are Lysander and Hermia are foolish to tell her the secret? Yes, they are teenagers.
Then to the wood will he to-morrow night
Pursue her; and for this intelligence
If I have thanks, it is a dear expense:
He will estimate me better. He will realize that I care. He will know that I care about him. Although he has jilted me, I still care about him.
But herein mean I to enrich my pain,
To have his sight thither and back again.

She has hopes that he might come back to her again.
This is the end of scene i / the exposition. We know about the main character, main theme, and main plot. In scene ii, we will know the subplot, and miner figures in the play. There are of workers (working men/ mechanicals/ craftsmen).
I forget to tell you that in Helena’s quotation at the end of scene I, Helena is talking about the traditional love triangles. She talks about two traditional love triangles. First, she says that she (Helena) used to love Demetrius. The other love triangle: Hermia loves Lysander.
In scene ii, Shakespeare uses allegorical names for his characters. Their names reflect their professions.
- Quince. Quince is a name of a tree. This person works as a carpenter.
-Snugis a tight fitting which gives warmth. He is a joiner.
Bottom is the base of a thread that is wound at the end. He is a weaver نساج.
-Flute is a musical instrument that works by blowing. He is a bellows-mender مصلح منافيخ.
-Snoutis the nose of a kettle which is shaped by a tinker. He is a tinker.
-Starvelingmeans a starving man. He is a tailor because tailors are supposed to be thin. There is a stereotype of tailors.

Is using allegorical names a modern technique or a traditional one? It is a traditional technique. It is even there in the morality plays in the Middle Ages.

So, these are the characters of the working men. Who is the most important character? Quince is the leader of the group. Bottom is important character also. He will turn to be donkey. Now he is a normal man.
Act I is realistic. It shows normal characters who act normally during daylight. Then there will be a switch to night; the events will take place during the night. There will be imagination. But now in the whole act is realistic. There is realism and it happens during the day.
Bottom talks a lot. He asks Quince to distribute the roles of the play. Why do they gather up? They want to perform a play/ interlude in front of the duke and the duchess. They want to make a play in honor of Duke Theseus and Queen Hippolyta on the occasion of their wedding/ in their weeding part after four days. Bottom asks Quince to distribute their roles. Bottom talks a lot. He misuses the words in his speech. He always says wrong words in sentences which make him look funny. This is funny. This is for the sake of humors. This is in the 16th century. In the 18th century, Richard Sheridan creates the character of Mrs. Malaprop and she is misusing the words and this play becomes very popular and a technique called Malapropism spreads all over the world. But originally, William Shakespeare has used it and maybe other people before William Shakespeare used it. But in Richard Sheridan’s play became popular and the technique became popular in comedy. So, it s called Malapropism. Bottom is like Mrs. Malaprop in ‘The Rivals’. For example, he says generally instead of saying particularly. He says also scrip instead of saying script. He said Ercles instead of saying Hercules.
Quince swears that the play they are making is the most lamentable comedy because it talks about misfortune of the lovers. Two lovers meet their fate. أكتر كوميديا فيها مأساة. It seems that the actors are foolish. They mistake a tragedy for a comedy.
Is it appropriate to perform a play about misfortunate lovers in the wedding party of the duke and the duchess?
It is inappropriate to create a play about unfortunate lovers in a wedding party.
Quince says that the play is about Pyramus and his beloved Thisbe. Pyramus is the male protagonist and Thisbe is the female protagonist of his play. Quince tells Bottom to play Pyramus. And Flute will play Thisbe. Flute objects. He says the he has a growing beard. He wants to take another role but Quince tells him that it does not matter because he is going to wear a mask. They are discussing theatrical affairs. This is a Metatheatrical technique. It is a modern technique. William Shakespeare employs Metatheater in his play. He makes a group of workers or craftsmen make a play. It is a play-within-a play. Moreover, the characters discuss theatrical affairs. Where is ‘the theatrical affairs’ here? It is when Flue objects and he wants to change his role. He does not want to play the woman/ the female protagonist because he has a growing beard. Quince tells him that it does not matter because he is going to wear a mask. This is reality in the 16th century. So, Quince is discussing theatrical affairs with Flute.
Starveling; the tailor, takes the role of Pyramus’s father. Quince will play the father of Thisbe. Snug will play the lion’s part. He says that he wants to change his role but Quince tells him, you will do nothing, just roaring.
Let us read Quince comment.
QUINCE: Some of your French crowns have no hair at all,
and then you will play bare-faced. But, masters, here are
your parts: and I am to entreat you, request you and
desire you, to con them by to-morrow night;
He asks them to come tomorrow night.
and meet
me in the palace wood, a mile without the town, by moonlight

نتقابل في الغابة على بعد ميل من مدينة أثينا
there will we rehearse,
نعمل بروفا
for if we meet in the city,
we shall be dogged with company, and our devices known.
If we meet in the city, we shall be followed.

In the meantime I will draw a bill of properties, such as
our play wants.
I will bring stage props. This is a theatrical affair.
I pray you, fail me not. لا تخذلوني
What do you guess? Is the same place the young lovers will meet? It may be the same place and time the young lovers will meet.
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4516
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
never give up will become famous soon enoughnever give up will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:

Shakespeare
The 8th lecture:د.منى حشيش
Today we will work on act II of ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’. In act I, there was the story of Theseus, Hippolyta. And we have the story of Hermia who loves Lysander and the story of Helena who loves Demetrius.Also, we have another storyof workers (working men/ mechanicals/ craftsmen) who prepare a play.
In act II, we learn about another story. We have so many stories in this play. This play is full of stories and you can call them subplots. Is not it strange? Usually in any Shakespearian play, there is one main plot and one subplot and they met at the end; they intermingle. But this play is different. As ‘Hamlet’ is the modernist of Shakespeare’s tragedies. ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’ is the modernist of Shakespeare’s comedies. He wrote many comedies, but this is the modernist. What do I mean by the modernist? I mean by the modernist the most non-traditional one/ the most experimental. It has different points and there is a technique for that and I will tell you about it later. This is experimental technique. It is confusion. It has many characters and different stories.
ACT II
SCENE I: A wood near Athens.
The setting here is the forest. The setting in act I was Athens. So, there are two realms: the realistic realm of Athens and the fantastic realm of the forest. There is a forest near Athens and you know that in reality, there is no forest near Athens. In act II, they say that there is a forest near Athens like a mile away from Athens. It is a forest of a fantasy. So, we move from realism to fantasy. Act I = realism/ act II= fantasy and imagination. Act II opens with a fairy. How big is the fairy? زي عقلة الاصبع. The character is a fairy. How can William Shakespeare or any director bring a fairy on stage? When ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’ is performed, they use children to do the role of the fairies.
In the forest a fairy talks to PUCK. He is a mischievous spirit. He is like a fairy, but he is mischievous, like a naughty child. He does things that annoy people, but we cannot say that he is evil. A fairy talks to PUCK in scene one and she tells him ‘are you PUCK the mischievous spirit?’. So, he says yes, it is me. And PUCK tells her that he is the clown of the King Oberon. King Oberon is the king of the Fairies and he marries Queen Titania. So, we have the character of the fairy; Puck and we have King Oberon and Queen Titania.
Puck is an agent of mischief. Puck tells the fairy ‘yes, I am the mischievous spirit Puck’. And he tells her that he is the one who frighten the village girls. He is the one who misleads the night wanderers. And he is the one who laughs at people in troubles. The fairy talks to Puck about very important things happening in the forest. She says that there is a quarrel between King Oberon and Queen Titania. She says that Queen Titania took an Indian boy and made him her page or attendant. King Oberon is very jealous and he wants to make that boy for himself to make his servant. This is the reason of the fight. Because of this quarrel between the king and the queen, very bad things happen in the forest. The fairy expresses her worry because there is disorder in the forest. The weather has been upset. There are flood and fire in the forest. The Crops have failed. What kind of theme is this? Order versus disorder. So, according to the Great Chain of being, what happens in the macrocosm عالم الانسان transfers to the macrocosm عالم الطبيعة، عالم الكون . So, because of the quarrel between King Oberon and Queen Titania, the weather is upset and there are flood and fire and the crops have failed. This is the theme of order and disorder.
If you have a question: are there medieval features in the play? You say that the theme of order and disorder is one of the themes of the play.
King Oberon and Queen Titania enter. They come on the stage and they continue fighting together. Titania teases him and she tells him that she knows that he used to love Hippolyta . Now she will marry Duke Theseus. And he teases her also and tells her that he knows that she used to love Theseus and now he is marrying Hippolyta. The stories are interrelated. There is the story of Oberon and Titania and this story is interrelated with the other one (the story of Theseus and Hippolyta). They know characters from the other story (the story of Theseus and Hippolyta). They are interacting together. And of course there is interaction between those two people. The subplots are intermingled.
Titania tells Oberon that he should stop begging/ asking her for her boy. Titania knows that disorder is happening in the forest because of their quarrel together. She tells him that plague spreads in the country and kills many people because of their fight over that boy. She says also that the fairies do not dance anymore in circles. Fairs are cheerful and they dance in circles on the music of the whistling wind. So, they no more dance. She tells him also that summer gets the ice of winter and the winter gets the buds of summer. So, Titania talks again about the theme of order and disorder.
What is this kind of technique? It is non-traditional technique.
Shakespeare employs the Baroque technique in ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’. The technique became popular in the 16th century up to the 18th century in Europe. A literary work encompasses various plots each with definite beginning and ending.
This technique appears in the 16th century in Europe (France, Italy and England). I told you before that any literary technique has its origin in painting. The movements always occur in painting and then it moves to literature, architecture and music.
If you check the internet and you write the Baroque technique in painting, you will find pictures or paintings of several people standing. And they are telling you something from the way they look, from the way they dress, from the way they stand or sit. You feel that there are stories beyond every character or beyond every two characters. You feel relationship between one character and another or you feel they are separated, but you feel stories. When you see the picture, you read it. And there must be something grotesque/ weird.
If we go to literature, how do we find about this technique in literature? You find too many character and too many stories. It is confusing for the audience and for the readers. You can call them plots or subplots or stories. According to this technique, the stories are either separate or interrelated and the actions move in circles.
(move in circles)= It means that there is beginning and ending to the story. Theseus loves Hippolytaand at the end they will marry. Hermia loves Lysander and at the end they will marry. Helena loves Demetrius and they will marry at the end. The craftsmen are preparing a play and they will perform the play. Oberon and Titania are quarreling and maybe they will reconcile at the end. So, the action moves in circles and these circles are either separate or interrelated.
So, Shakespeare employs the Baroque technique in ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’. The technique became popular in the 16th century up to the 18th century in Europe. A literary work encompasses various plots each with definite beginning and ending. The events of every story move in a circle. The circles either intersect or remain separate from one another. Writers or artists who employ this technique often involve the grotesquery in their work.
What is the grotesquery in‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’? Bottom changes into a donkey. In literature, this changing is called metamorphoses. Are metamorphoses real or not real? For the western critics who are not Muslims do not believe that metamorphoses can happen in real life. So, they say that it is not real. It is part of imagination.
Grotesquery in the play here happens and occurs in the accident of Bottom when he metamorphoses into a donkey. Another thing is magic. King Oberon practices magic. And we consider this Grotesquery. King Oberon; the king of the fairies, will employ or practice magic. How does he practice magic? Oberon orders Puck to go and bring for him a magic flower called the pansyزهرة الثالوث. In reality it is not a magical flower, but in the play they say that it is a magical one. In the play, they say that one of Cupid’s arrows by mistake fell on this flower, so it makes this flower magical. Oberon explains to Puck why he wants this flower. King Oberon tells Puck that f you take this flower and squeeze, the juice of this flower it if it falls on the eyelids of somebody sleeping when that person wakes up and opens his eyes, he fall in love with the first living thing that comes across him by the power of magic.
First living thing= human or non-human.
Puck leaves to fetch the magic flower and then King Oberon soliloquizes. Before reading the play, we expect that William Shakespeare keeps the classical (traditional) structure of a comedy: (The play consists of five acts, there are exposition, climax and denouement, and there is a mistaken identity, there is element of disguise, coincidence, letters, happy ending, songs, and dances).
P38
This is a soliloquy. King Oberon soliloquizes.
OBERON: Having once this juice,
I’ll watch Titania when she is asleep,
And drop the liquor of it in her eyes.
I will wait until Titania sleeps and then I will put the liquor/ magic juice of the pansy on her eyelids.
The next thing then she waking looks upon,
Be it on lion, bear, or wolf, or bull,
On meddling monkey, or on busy ape,
She shall pursue it with the soul of love:
And ere I take this charm from off her sight,
As I can take it with another herb,
I’ll make her render up her page to me.
But who comes here? I am invisible;
And I will overhear their conference.
[Enter DEMETRIUS, HELENA, following him.]
DEMETRIUS: I love thee not, therefore pursue me not.
Where is Lysander and fair Hermia?

Demetrius tells Helena, I do not love you. You bother men.
The one I’ll slay, the other slayeth me.
The one I want to kill is Lysanderو هيرميا مموتاني بحبها
Thou told’st me they were stolen unto this wood;
أنت قولتي انهم أتوا من الغابة دي؟
And here am I, and wode within this wood,
Because I cannot meet my Hermia.
Hence, get thee gone, and follow me no more.
I do not find Hermia, go away from me, I do not want you.
HELENA: You draw me, you hard-hearted adamant;
But yet you draw not iron, for my heart
Is true as steel: leave you your power to draw,
And I shall have no power to follow you.
You are attracting. If you want me to let me go, do not attract me.
DEMETRIUS: Do I entice you? do I speak you fair?
Or, rather, do I not in plainest truth
Tell you, I do not, nor I cannot love you?
in plainest truth= .زي بالعربي الفصيح
Helena shows no dignity at all.
HELENA: And even for that do I love you the more.
I love you more
I am your spaniel; Spaniel= a kind of dogs.
I am your dog.
and, Demetrius,
The more you beat me, I will fawn on you:
Even if you beat me, I will stay with you.

Use me but as your spaniel, spurn me, strike me,
Neglect me, lose me; only give me leave,
Unworthy as I am, to follow you.
Consider me your dog and let me only to follow you. I do not want more than this.
She is degrading herself. She is humiliating herself.
DEMETRIUS: Temptnot too much the hatred of my spirit;
ما تطلعي الكره يلي جوايه
For I am sick when I do look on thee.
أشعر بالغثيان لما بشوف وجهك
HELENA: And I am sick when I look not on you.
أشعر بالغثيان لو ما شفتك
DEMETRIUS: You do impeach your modesty too much,
You are degrading yourself.
To leave the city and commit yourself
Into the hands of one that loves you not;
To trust the opportunity of night
And the ill counsel of a desert place
With the rich worth of your virginity.
You left the secure place and you followed a young man at night and the place is isolated; there are no people around. You are threatening your virginity. Demetrius threatens her if she keeps following him during the night, he can deflower her/ he can ruin her virginity.
HELENA: Your virtue is my privilege: for that
She is sure that he is virtuous and he is not going to do such thing.
It is not night when I do see your face,
She says I am not scared of the night because your face is bright and I feel that I am safe with you.

Therefore I think I am not in the night;
Nor doth this wood lack worlds of company,
For you in my respect are all the world:
Then how can it be said I am alone,
When all the world is here to look on me?
You think that I feel that I am alone with you?!! No, I feel that you are the whole world for me. I think that there are many people around and I am secure and safe.
DEMETRIUS: I’ll run from thee and hide me in the brakes,
And leave thee to the mercy of wild beasts.
He tells her that he will escape from her and leaves her to the mercy of wild animals.
HELENA: The wildest hath not such a heart as you.
Run when you will, the story shall be changed:
Apollo flies, and Daphne holds the chase;
This is a classical allusion. She compares herself to Daphne and she compares him to Apollo. Apollo is the sun god and Daphne is his beloved. So, she says the situation is reversed. Apollo flies and Daphne is chasing him. As if Helena and Demetrius are lovers.
The dove pursues the griffin; the mild hind
Makes speed to catch the tiger; bootless speed,
When cowardice pursues and valor flies.
بتقول الدنيا تقلبت؟!!!!! الفريسة بتجري وراء النمر
DEMETRIUS: I will not stay thy questions; let me go:
Or, if thou follow me, do not believe
But I shall do thee mischief in the wood.
I will mischief you in the wood. He is threatening her again to deflower her.
HELENA: Ay, in the temple, in the town, the field,
You do me mischief. Fie, Demetrius!
Your wrongs do set a scandal on my sex:
Fie, Demetrius! =go to hell.
She says to his by doing so as you do set a scandal on all my sex.

We cannot fight for love, as men may do;
We should be wood and were not made to woo.
[Exit DEMETRIUS.]
الستات ما تحاربش عشان أحد يحبها، الرجال يلي تعمل كدا
Wood=begging somebody for marrying. التوسل من أجل الزواج
Is she serious? No. From the soliloquy we will know that she is not serious.
I’ll follow thee and make a heaven of hell,
To die upon the hand I love so well.
I will follow you and if you kill me, I will be happy because my lover will be my killer. So, she was not serious when she told him go to hell, I will not keep following you. Then she follows him into the forest.
King Oberon is listening to them. He is unseen by them.
There is a technique here. A woman is chasing a man. It is a reversed situation. This technique is called a gendermandering technique.
There is something you have studies it. It is Courtly love tradition. Courtly love tradition is a tradition that goes back to the Middle-Ages. In southern France, this tradition appears. According to that tradition, a knight chases a married woman. A knight falls in love with a married woman in the court and he keeps begging her to accept his love, but she is always rejecting his love at the beginning and keeps him away. He writes love poetry to her and he humiliates and degrades himself. He stays under her balcony crying and begging and doing everything to show that he has no dignity even she swears/ even she scolds and chides him. He is just happy to hear her voice. So, he keeps on begging and following her until she accepts his life. And later he discovers that she betrays him with another man. This is the courtly love tradition.
In this play, we see the opposite. So, the situation is reversed. And this is the technique of gendermandering.
Shakespeare employs the technique of gendermandering in ‘A Midsummer Night's Dream’. It is affiliated with the courtly love tradition, but it highlights a gender role reversed. It is a non-traditional technique (experimental/modern technique).
Helena takes the role of the courtly love who is supposed to be a man. She is chasing Demetrius in the forest, and Demetrius plays the role of the lady who rejects and chides/ scolds. So, the last story is reversed.
Oberon overhears all what happened. He says something.
This is a soliloquy.
OBERON: Fare thee well, nymph: ere he do leave this
grove,
Thou shalt fly him and he shall seek thy love.
Thou shalt fly him and he shall seek thy love.

Oberon is sympathizing with Helena.
Here he has something in his mind.

[Re-enter PUCK.]
Hast thou the flower there? Welcome, wanderer.
PUCK: Ay, there it is.
Oberon will tell Puck now to give him the juice and then he gives Puck back some of the magic juice and asks him to go find an Athenian man and an Athenian woman in the forest. How does Puck know them? By their clothes. He tells him go to the forest. You will find an Athenian man and an Athenian woman and the man is mean to the woman loves him. So, when he is asleep and the woman is close to him, stroke the magic juice on his eyelids, so that when he opens his eyes, he finds her and he falls in love with her.
What is Oberon doing here? Oberon is the king of the fairies. So, he is a figure of order in the play. Let us compare what happens in act I.
In act I, the Duke Theseus is a figure of order (in Athena). In act II, the figure of order (in the forest) in the forest is King Oberon; the king of the fairies.
How does Theseus keep order?By the Athenian law. He judges Hermia by the Athenian law and she says that she should obey her father because she is owned by her father.
How does Oberon keep order in the forest?By practicing magic. He exercises magical powers.
Act I, scene ii:
It opens with a song. The fairies are singing Queen Titania to sleep and they dance for her in circles. Then she falls asleep and then the fairies leave. Lysander and Hermia enter on the stage. Lysander says that they got lost in the forest. So, Hermia says that they have to take some rest and sleep. Lysander wants to sleep beside her, but Hermia refuses. She tells him that she wants to be virtuous and remain virgin until she gets married. So, she refuses to allow him to sleep beside her and she asked him to go sleep far away a little bit. And this is what happens.
Puck enters. He has the magic juice with him. He is looking for the Athenian guy. He found Lysander. He mistakes Demetrius for Lysander. His target is Demetrius, but he found Lysander and he mistakes Demetrius for Lysander and he put the magic juice on the eyes of Lysander and then he leaves. Lysander is still asleep and Hermia is still asleep. Some people enter the stage. Demetrius and Helena came running because Demetrius is escaping from Helena and Helena tries to catch him. He tells her please, let me alone, let me go. And then he escapes from her and he is not seen on the stage. He went off stage. Helena stays and she is tired and she laments her fate because she loses him in the forest and she does not see him anymore. She is sad and she is very envious of Hermia. She kept on lamenting her fate for not being as beautiful as Hermia. And she is talking like this and suddenly her eye caught Lysander. She went to Lysander. She thought that he might not be asleep; he might be dead. So, she tells him, ‘lord lord, are you okay? What bring you here Lysander?’ And she is talking to him. Lysander opens his eyes and he sees Helena. Immediately, he falls in love with Helena and he expresses how he was a fool to love Hermia and leave her. He tells her that she is very beautiful and Hermia is nothing in comparison with her. He tells her that Hermia is a brunette. He has dark skin. And he tells her that you are blond (she has white complexion and a sandy yellow hair, like Queen Elizabeth I) and you are more beautiful. I cannot imagine why I went to love Hermia. Hermia is nothing in comparison with you. What is the reaction of Helena? Helena does not believe him. She has inferiority complex. She believes she is ugly and nobody loves her. In the Middle East, they consider that blond girls are very beautiful. This concept is there in the Middle East, but in England because the queen was blond, so at that time they use to say that the blond girls are more beautiful. This is a culture.
So, Helena does not believe Lysander when he tells her that she is more beautiful than Hermia and she thinks that he is mocking her/ making fun of her because she has an inferiority complex. So, Helena leaves Lysander and she escapes from him into the forest. He says a soliloquy. He says that he has to follow her because I have to guard her, otherwise a wild animal might threaten her. He cares about her very much. So, he follows her.
At the end of the act, we find Hermia waking up screaming because she has a bad dream. She wakes up and says: where is Lysander? She does not find Lysander; he is gone. And she is left by herself alone. And she talks about her dream. She dreamed that a serpent has eaten her heart away. So, she wakes up and she screams and she goes to Lysander. What is this technique? Whenever you find a dream, you know that it is symbolic. It is the technique of symbolism. So, there is a symbol beyond this dream.
What is the significance of the serpent? The serpent lives in the forest. So, it talks about Hermia situation in the forest. And why the serpent eats the heart in specific? Because the heart stands for her love to Lysander. So, it means that in the forest Hermia is going to lose Lysander. This is the meaning of the symbol. And this technique is called symbolism.
Now if you go to the question:

what are the modern techniques of the non-traditional element in the play?
1-You talk about defamiliarization and Victor Shklovsky.
2-You talk about violating the unity of time.
3- Using the Baroque technique(using many subplots).
4-Metatheatrical technique.
5- gendermandering.
6-Symbolism.
What are the themes in the play that we studies so far?
1-The theme of order and disorder.
2-Gap between generations.
What are the medieval features in the play so far?
1-we talk about the theme of order and disorder and we talk about the Great Chain of Being.
We talk about Theseusand how we implement the Athenian law and who he is the figure of order. And also, we say how Oberon is a figure of order in the forest.
And we say that what happens in the microcosm is transferred to macrocosm.
2-The courtly love tradition.
When you discuss the courtly love tradition, you say that it is reversed. And there is gendermandering. And you say that at the end of act II, Lysander is chasing Helen and she rejects him. This is a courtly love tradition. Who is the courtly lover? Lysander. He keeps on telling Helena sweet words, using flowery language and begging her to accept him as a lover and she is rejecting him.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4517
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

Shakespeare
The 9th lecture:د.منى حشيش
ACT III
Today we will start Act III. Let me start by ask you a question. We have taken the background for “Hamlet” and for “A midsummer Night’s dream”. This is a tragedy and this is a comedy but there are some common points between them, for example, they have same background, same page, same writer, and maybe similar style in the sense that “Hamlet” is the most modern of Shakespearean tragedies and “A midsummer Night’s Dream” is the most modern of Shakespearean comedies. So, there are modern elements here and modern elements there which is not typical Shakespearean. There is also one common point between both plays which is the idea of renaissance humanism. What is renaissance humanism? It is a trend that appears in the 16th century. The renaissance humanism has tolerated the different cultures of background, like classicalism, medieval cultures and the new spirit of the 16th century. We consider Shakespeare a renaissance humanist. We consider the philosophers renaissance humanists because they do not totally reject the past but they add to it. So, in the 16th century there was no total rejection of the past. By the past I mean classical features and medieval features. So, in the 16th century, they people do not reject totally their past, for example, William Shakespeare. We consider Shakespeare a renaissance humanist because he has been tolerating the other cultures and he reflects the English society that classical and medieval features in their literature and way of living also. In the 16th century, people used to go dueling and I gave you the example of Ben Johnson. He went dueling with an actor and he killed him and he went to prison. But because he is an important man in society, he was sentenced few period and then he came out of jail. In the 16th century, several people used to believe in the effect of stars on man. For example, in 2009 there was a character. He had the talent of dancing because he was born under certain star. So, this is medieval feature. Also, there is a theory of humor in “Hamlet” and in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” but we have not seen it yet. We saw the effect of the theory of humor in “Hamlet”. It was very clear in “Hamlet”. The people used to say that he is melancholic. Also, the theme of order and disorder goes back to the Middle-Ages. We have seen this in our play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” because King Theseus is the figure of order in Athens, whereas King Oberon is the figure of order in the forest. In “Hamlet”, the ghost is considered the figure of disorder because he kept on urging Hamlet to take revenge. He does not make it clear whether it is private revenge or public vengeance. Hamlet is confused because he lives in the Middle-Ages and he thinks like people in the Middle-Ages, like Aristotle. He has a deductive way of thinking. So, he takes the ghost’s words for granted and he took a decision to commit private revenge. He became scourge when he killed Polonius by mistake and he goes through a title of murder. The most writing element in renaissance humanism is that the renaissance humanists tolerate all the other cultures. They did not reject the past. For example, the philosopher Desiderius Erasmus was catholic. He did not reject Christianity as whole, but he rejected only the idea of predestination and he said that man has free will. The issue of free will and fate is solved in Islam. Muslim philosophers say that man has free will of his own to do certain things, but God has the supreme power to control our fate at the end and this is for our good. We do not understand that God does things for our own good; our mind is limited. All human being have free will of their own, however; sometimes God interferes with his fate to help the human beings even when we have disasters. After we bear the disaster patiently, God rewards us with something unexpected from us. In Christianity, it is not set clearly maybe because people change in their religion, so that they do not understand. That is why several Christians lose fate and they become atheists.
ACT III
SCENE I: The wood. TITANIA lying asleep.
Titania sleeps on her flowery bed at the backstage. At the backstage, she has a bedroom (it has no curtains to open at the beginning of every act or to fall down as the end of the act). But Titania’s home has a little curtain on it/ small room with a little curtain. She sleeps on her flowery bed. And then in front of her the craftsmen started to rehearse and they will rehearse their play. Their play is called “Pyramus and Thisbe”. Bottom starts to discus certain problems in the play. He thinks of the women audience. He says if the women audience sees Pyramus killing himself with the sword, it will be very hard for them and they might faint. So, he suggests that they make a prologue to the play and in the prologue Bottom goes and he introduces himself and say {I am Bottom the weaver. I am playing Pyramus. Pyramus is not a real character. Pyramus kills himself but this is not a real murder, do not be scared}. So, he suggests saying this in the prologue. And then Snug the joiner will play the lion. So, if he comes with the mask of the lion, the female audience again will be scared. So, Bottom says okay, in the prologue we can say that Snug the joiner will play the lion. It is not real lion, do not be scared. And then he says that half of Snug’s face should be shown to the audience from the mask, so that they can see his mouth and chin and they feel that he is a human being and that he is a fake lion; not a real lion. So, this is good for the women audience. Is this something trivial? No. this is what the classical prologue is about. Quince himself says that will write it in verse. And this is true; it is not in blank verse. Classical drama is totally written in blank verse, however, the prologue is written in poetry. How do we that it is poetry? Poetry has rhyming scheme. The difference between poetry and blank verse is that the poetry has a rhyming scheme. So, lines are rhyming together and they are found in the prologue, but in the blank verse the lines are rhythmical only (five feet, unstressed sound followed by stressed one). So, what Bottom has said is really true. This is a classical prologue. The prologue is said by the actor not the character. The actor says the prologue and his name is known. So, Bottom says I will say I am Bottom the weaver. He mentions his name. The prologue is a message from the actor to the audience preparing them to watch the play. So, he is guiding them to view the play from a certain angle or to consider some important matters while viewing the play. So, what Bottom is saying is realistic theatrical affair. They are preparing for a classical prologue for the play. What do we call this technical? It is metatheatrical technique. So, we say that Shakespeare has employed metatheatrical technique in this part for two things. 1-“Pyramus and Thisbeis a play-within-a play.
2-because the characters are discussing theatrical affairs.
Bottom misuses the words, however, he is wise. He makes sense when he talks. What he says about the prologue is really making sense. He is not stupid. Bottom says that there must be a wall with a chink. Bottom thinks how they make the hole. So, he says that a man might wear cast. Is this a traditional technique? No, it is a modern technique. We call this dadism. It is something called “Dada”. It appeared early in the 20th century. The dadist manifesto was early in the 20th century in France and Italy. They announce that beginning of a movement. William Shakespeare was ahead of his time. He experiments dadism without knowing that it is dadism. All the movements are coined in the modern age. However, Shakespeare has been experimented with this modern technique in the 16th century. So, this idea of making a man wear a cast is a dadist technique. There are different features of dadism. We will not take them. We only know when a man is wearing a shape and he stays with that shape from the beginning of the play until the end, so we call this dadism.
[The craftsmen who make the play of “Pyramus and Thisbe” choose to employ experimentation rather than fully depend on realism. This play-within-a play reflects what Shakespeare does in his play “A midsummer Night’s dream”. Though the play embodies some realistic elements, Shakespeare uses nonrealistic techniques like sympolism (we saw it in Hermia’s dream when she dreamed that the serpent was eating her heart) and expressionism.]
After that Quinceasks them torehearse the play. So, all the characters start to rehearse the play. Bottom is playing Pyramus and Flute is playing Thisbe. Bottom starts talking as Pyramus. Puck enters and he sees the actors starting to rehearse the play. He does not like to see coarse countrymen rehearsing a play in front of the flowery bed of the Queen Titania. She is the queen of the forest, so how come coarse countrymen go in front of the queen. She is sleeping, they will be noisy to her and they will wake her up. So, he does not like to see them in front of the bedroom of the queen and rehearsing the play. So, Puck despises/scorns them; the mischievous spirit. He decides to annoy them. So, Bottom starts to rehearse his play and he says to Thisbe Thisby, the flowers of odious savors sweet”.He is courting Thisbe. He tells her the flowers of odious savors sweet. He mistakes odorous with odious. Instead of saying odorous, he says odious. Odious means hateful/ disgusting. He is misusing words. So, this is an example of his malapropism. Of course this is a comedy, so there must be comic elements. Pyramus (Bottom) hears some noise, so, he goes to see that noise and then he will come back to Thisbe. Puck at that time starts to imitate Bottom’s words. He starts to say things irrational to the characters, maybe something not in the play. When Bottom returns, he has a head of an ass on him. So, everybody got scared.
SNOUT: O Bottom, thou art changed! what do I see on
thee?
They are surprised. They are scared. They are afraid because they know it is not a part of the play to have a donkey head (an ass on Bottom). It is not in the play. So, they are scared to death to see Bottom in that way.
Bottom is making fun of Snout.
BOTTOM: What do you see? you see an ass head of your
own, do you?
He is making fun of Snout. He believes that Snout wants to make fun of him. Bottom does not realize what is on his head. He is unconscious. He does not know that he has an ass head on him. Puck did it for him and he does not realize.
[Re-enter QUINCE.]
QUINCE: Bless thee, Bottom! bless thee! thou art translated
[Exit.]
The actors fly away from Bottom. So, they escape from him. They are scared.
BOTTOM: I see their knavery: this is to make an ass of
me; to fright me, if they could. But I will not stir from
this place, do what they can: I will walk up and down
here, and I will sing, that they shall hear I am not afraid.
[Sings.]
And he starts singing irrational song. His voice is not sweet at all. And then Titania starts to wake up.
TITANIA: [Awaking] What angel wakes me from my
flowery bed?
So, she sees him as an angel.
BOTTOM: [Sings.]
The finch, the sparrow and the lark,
The plain-song cuckoo gray,
Whose note full many a man doth mark,
And dares not answer nay;—
He sings a very bad song.
TITANIA: I pray thee, gentle mortal, sing again:
Mine ear is much enamour’d of thy note;
So is mine eye enthralled to thy shape;
And thy fair virtue’s force perforce doth move me
On the first view to say, to swear, I love thee.
Please sing more. My ears like your song. And my eyes like your beautiful shape.
BOTTOM: Methinks, mistress, you should have little reason
for that: and yet, to say the truth, reason and love
keep little company together now-a-days
He is very reasonable. This is realistic. Reason and love keep little company. I gave you an advice. If you fall in love, see your lover through the eye of the others because love is blind. Bottom wants to say that lobe is blind. What the other people tell you about the lover will be right. Reason and love keep little company. So, he is speaking the truth.
TITANIA: Thou art as wise as thou art beautiful.مش كفاية جميل كمان عندك حكمة
So, she loves him more.
BOTTOM: Not so, neither: but if I had wit enough to get
out of this wood,
He starts to get scared of Titania. She came up to him in the forest. She is talking to him. So, he realizes that there is something wrong and he wants to escape from the forest. What is her reply?
TITANIA: Out of this wood do not desire to go:
Thou shalt remain here, whether thou wilt or no.
You will not go out of the forest. Whether you like it or not you will stay.
I am a spirit of no common rate; أنا روح بس لي مكانة كبيرة
She wants to say that she is queen.
The summer still doth tend upon my state;
And I do love thee: therefore, go with me;
I’ll give thee fairies to attend on thee,
And they shall fetch thee jewels from the deep,
And sing while thou on pressed flowers dost sleep;
And I will purge thy mortal grossness so
That thou shalt like an airy spirit go.
Peaseblossom! Cobweb! Moth! and Mustardseed!

Grossness=البدانة
The human body is heavy but the spirit is very light. When the person dies, he feels that he is very light. Sleep is like death. When you sleep if your soul goes out, it is very light and it flies but when it goes down, it goes gown quickly and you feel the heaviness of your body. (That thou shalt like an airy spirit go) they are going to wash him from the grossness of his human body to become as like as a spirit. She is preparing him for her bed. Then she calls the fairs. Their names are Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed. And then she asks them to tie up his tongue. What do we call this? Technically, we call this Metamorphosis التحول. In literature, it is not realistic but from Islamic point of view God tells us that he has metamorphosed bad humans into قردة و خنازير. Metamorphosis happens in reality. As Muslims we believe in this. But in literature, we say that it is anti-realistic element or nonrealistic element.
[Technically, metamorphosis is part of the expressionistic technique. It is also an element of grotesquery. Puck charms (bewitches) Bottom and causes him to metamorphose into an ass. This sounds startling and uncanny to the craftsmen, but it is funny to the audience. Bottom’s metamorphosis transfers the craftsmen from their realistic realm to the imaginative dreamlike realm. ]

Expressionism التعبيريةis a movement that appeared early in the 20th century. Shakespeare was ahead of his time. He used it in the 16th century before it has been coined.
(It is also an element of grotesquery.) When something is grotesque, this means it is scaring and humorous.
[Expressionistic drama tackles a miserable plot and it is often satirical of society and people. A character in an expressionistic play like Bottom is divested and reduced to a flat shadowy character who says strange and comic things. This abstract character stays in an abstract place. For example, Bottom experienced an absurd dreamlike meaningless unrealistic like when the fairies force him to stay in Titania’s bedroom. It can be said that Shakespeare adopts theriomorphic characterization to satirize Bottom.]
Theriomorphic= when the writer represents the human being as an animal.
[Bottom represents the craftsmen in the 16th century England. They are poor and helpless. They work hard as machines and suffer in silence. They do not rebel against the totalitarian forces in society. Puck himself calls them “mechanicals” as if they are not human. Titania herself has been oppressive. She forces Bottom to go to her bed and tells the fairies to tie up his tongue to keep silent. He has free will; he is submissive to her.]
This is the end of scene one.
SCENE II: Another part of the wood.
Scene ii: it is another part in the forest.
When you have a character who is oppressed and there is a totalitarian forcing oppressing him, expressionistic shows up in symbol. So, having an ass head on Bottom is one way of satirizing the character who submits to totalitarian forces. this is a modern technique/ experimental; nonrealistic one.
In this scene, Puck meets King Oberon and he tells him that everything is alright. He tells his about the craftsmen and how he metamorphoses Bottom and when Titania woke up, she found Bottom in her face, so she fell in love with an ass. Oberon is satisfied because he wants to take the Indian boy. Puck says that Bottom has become a monster. When they are talking, Demetrius and Helenaenter. When Puck sees Demetrius, he finds it strange that there are two people in Athenian clothes. So, he tells Oberon that he has found another man in Athenian clothes and he put the magic juice on his eyelids and this is not the one. Here Oberon realizes that Puck has made a mistake. He has sent Puck to put the magic juice on Demetrius’s eyelids and Puck made a mistake and he bewitches Lysander.So, here Puck has become a figure of disorder. He is the theme of disorder in the play because he makes confusion. Oberon as a figure of order wants to correct the false lover Demetrius and make him exchange love with Helena. Hermia keeps on following Demetrius and shouting at his face and accusing him of killing her lover Lysander. She tells him Lysander was sleeping here close to me, he is not here now and you must have slain him. Demetrius denies and says, although I did not slain him, I still hate him because he is my rival. And then Hermia leaves him and go away out of his face. Demetrius is very tired, so he decides to sleep. He sleeps on stage. Oberon wants put the magic juice on his eyelids. He orders Puck to hurry and fetch Helena for him because he wants Demetrius when he opens his eyes, he sees Helena in his face. So, Oberon goes and he put the magic juice on Demetrius’s eyelids and Puck quickly got Helena. But when he got Helena, she is followed by Lysander. So, Helena is shouting at Lysander who is following her and she does not believe him at all. She is sure he loves Hermia and she believes that he is mocking her. When he tells her that he loves her, he is mocking her. And then because there are noisy, Demetrius opens his eyes and he sees Helena in front of him. He starts telling her flowery words.
Demetrius is courting Helena.
DEMETRIUS: [Awaking] O Helena, goddess, nymph,
perfect, divine!
To what, my love, shall I compare thine eyne?
Crystal is muddy. O, how ripe in show
Thy lips, those kissing cherries, tempting grow!
That pure congealed white, high Taurus snow,
Fann’d with the eastern wind, turns to a crow
When thou hold’st up thy hand: O, let me kiss
This princess of pure white, this seal of bliss!
The reaction of Helena:
HELENA: O spite! O hell! I see you all are bent
To set against me for your merriment:
You have conspired against me.
If you we re civil and knew courtesy,
You would not do me thus much injury.
Can you not hate me, as I know you do,
But you must join in souls to mock me too?
She does not believe Demetrius. She is talking to him and Lysander. Now both men are following her. Both are courting her at the same time. she does not like that.
If you were men, as men you are in show,
You would not use a gentle lady so;
What you are doing is unmanly.
To vow, and swear, and superpraise my parts,
When I am sure you hate me with your hearts.
She is sure they hate her and love Hermia. She has an inferiority complex. She feels herself inferior to Hermia. She thinks that Hermia is beautiful, whereas she is ugly. She believes that no man will be attracted to her.
You both are rivals, and love Hermia;
She is sure they love Hermia because Hermia is beautiful.
And now both rivals, to mock Helena:
A trim exploit, a manly enterprise,
To conjure tears up in a poor maid’s eyes
With your derision!
Derision=mockery.
Helena believes that they come to scorn and mock her.
none of noble sort
Would so offend a virgin, and extort
A poor soul’s patience, all to make you sport.
All of you are playing a dirty game on me.
What tradition is this? This is a courtly love tradition. There are two courtly lovers for Helena. They are Lysander and Demetrius. And she rejects them. So, according to the courtly love tradition, the courtly lover courts the lady but the lady rejects him. So, Helena does not care about being showered with flowery words and she thinks that both men are scorning and mocking her.
Puck is very much amused to see them fighting because he is a mischievous spirit. He is interested in that.
Lysander tells Helena that he loves her and he does not love Hermia. And Demetrius assures her that Lysander is a liar and he loves Hermia. And he tells Helena that he loves her more. So, Helena still she does not love any of them. Hermia comes and she is jealous of Helena. So, Helena again tells Hermia that she joins then in the conspiracy. They are all playing a game on her; Lysander, Demetrius and Hermia are playing a game on Helena. That is what she thinks. Helena reminds Hermia of their childhood friendship and she tells her that they used to be very close together like two cherries in one stem. So, she should consider this all friendship and should not do this to her. On the other hand, Hermia believes that Helena is scorning and mocking her. So, there is misunderstanding between the two girls; Helena and Hermia. Both think that the other mocks and scorns her. This misunderstanding is a traditional technique. It is a traditional technique which is common to all comedies.
Lysander is assuring Helena that he loves her and Demetrius is doing the same thing. So, the two men decide to look for a place off stage to fight together/ to fight for Helena’s love. And the winner in the fight will win Helena. They do not say dueling. I imagine that they will fight with the hands. Hermia clings to Demetrius. She tries to hold him back. She wants him to stay with her and not to go fight for Helena. So, he pushes her away and he curses her. He calls her ‘Ethiopian’, ‘serpent’, ‘Tartar’, ‘loathedmedicine’ and ‘hatedpotion’. This is a verbal fight. We neverfind a fight that is more humorous than violence. This is a surrealism technique.
[Shakespeare employs the Surrealistic technique to incarnate Hermia’s verbal fight with Lysander and Helena. Surrealism is an anti-realistic technique that was coined at the beginning of the 20th century. It’s used in drama to make an oppressed character fight for her freedom against a totalitarian force. The fight is like a nightmare in the play. André Breton (he is a surrealistic leader who announced the manifesto of surrealism at the beginning of the 20th century) says that violence should be confined to the language only and this is what happens in the play. However, the other surrealist leader Antonin Artaud believes that violence be shown in both; language and action. It is worth mentioning that the surrealistic fight is humorous, not painful. Hermia feels she is oppressed by Lysender for forsaking her and by Helena for betraying her and stealing her lover. Lysander tells Hermia that he really hates her but he will not harm her.]
Hermia now has an inferiority complex. She knows that she is short and thinks that Lysander and Demetrius love Helena because she is tall. She says, “So dwarfish and low”. Hermia gets very jealous and she threatens to scratch Helena with her nails. Helena gets very scared and she wants to leave the forest. So, Demetrius tells her that he will protect her and he wants her to stay with them in the forest. They fight again and the two men go off stage. They go to find a place to fight. Helena is very scared from Hermia. She tells her that she has tall legs, so she will run faster than her and she will escape from her. Hermia followed her, so the lovers are off stage now.
OBERON: Thou see’st these lovers seek a place to fight:
Hie therefore, Robin, overcast the night;
The starry welkin cover thou anon
With drooping fog as black as Acheron,
And lead these testy rivals so astray
This is a very important quotation.
Robin= Puck
Oberon orders Puck to make the lovers go astray. He wants Puck to make the lovers lose their way in the forest.
As one come not within another’s way.
Like to Lysander sometime frame thy tongue,
So, he orders him to imitate the voice of Demetrius to Lysander to take him far from him and to go to Demetrius and imitate the voice of Lysander and take him to the other side. So, he wants the lovers to go astray, not to meet one another.
Then stir Demetrius up with bitter wrong;
And sometime rail thou like Demetrius;
And from each other look thou lead them thus,
Till o’er their brows death-counterfeiting sleep
Oberon says that he wants all the lovers to be very tired and they all fall asleep.
With leaden legs and batty wings doth creep:
Then crush this herb into Lysander’s eye;
Whose liquor hath this virtuous property,
To take from thence all error with his might,
And make his eyeballs roll with wonted sight.
Oberon gives Puck herb and asks him to crash it. He asks Puck to put a magic juice of another herb on Lysander’s eye to take off the charm which he has put before.
When they next wake, all this derision
Shall seem a dream and fruitless vision,
And back to Athens shall the lovers wend,
With league whose date till death shall never end.
When they all wake up, they will think that all these were a dream/ a midsummer night’s dream and they will go back to Athens and they will remain friends forever.
League= friendship.
Whiles I in this affair do thee employ,
I’ll to my queen and beg her Indian boy;
And then I will her charmed eye release
From monster’s view, and all things shall be peace.
Oberon says now I will go to Titania and take the Indian boy. And then I take off the charm.
This quotation is related to the theme of order and disorder. Oberon is a figure of order. He wants to restore order and peace to this forest. He wants to correct the mistake which Puck had made.
So, Lysander will return to Hermia and Demetrius now loves Helena.
At the end of this act, all of them are still asleep.
Jack shall have Jill;
Nought shall go ill;
The man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
[Exit.]
Shakespeare ends his act with a proverb. بخيت لبخيتة
The proverb is part of a traditional technique.
So, the modern elements that we have taken so far are:
1-Defamiliarization
2-violating the unity of time
3-the Baroque technique
4-Metatheatrical technique
5-Gendermandering
6-Sympolism
7-Expressionism
8-Surrealism
9-Dadism
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4518
Stella
أكـاديـمـي نــشـط

الصورة الرمزية Stella
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 25033
تاريخ التسجيل: Fri Apr 2009
المشاركات: 175
عدد الـنقـاط : 117
مؤشر المستوى: 63
Stella will become famous soon enoughStella will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الآداب
التخصص: English Literature
المستوى: المستوى السادس
Stella غير متواجد حالياً

كيف النقد معاكم ؟؟
انا مصدعه منه ..
بس عندي سؤال عن البراكتكل كيف نسويه بالضبط
لأني استثنائي وماكان عندي امتحان ميد تيرم
ابغى اعرف كيف اطبق الثيوريز على القصيده اذا ممكن وحده تحط لي مثال عشان افهم
ولازم نكتب نبذه عن حياة الشاعر يعني متى مات ومتى انولد ومين صادق ومين كرهه وهكذا
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4519
never give up
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي
الملف الشخصي:
بيانات الطالب:

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Stella مشاهدة المشاركة
كيف النقد معاكم ؟؟
انا مصدعه منه ..
بس عندي سؤال عن البراكتكل كيف نسويه بالضبط
لأني استثنائي وماكان عندي امتحان ميد تيرم
ابغى اعرف كيف اطبق الثيوريز على القصيده اذا ممكن وحده تحط لي مثال عشان افهم
ولازم نكتب نبذه عن حياة الشاعر يعني متى مات ومتى انولد ومين صادق ومين كرهه وهكذا
ممكن تتكلمين بشي بسيط عن الكاتب والعصر اللي هو فيه بس مالاداعي تواريخ وتتكلمين ب؟أول براجراف عن الثيم بشكل عام
البارجراف الثاني تشرحين القصيده ولازم تتكلمين عن التكنيك figur of speech
البارجراف الثالث تعلقين عليها وتتكلمين عن الثيم بتوسع والثيروي اللي تطبقت بالقصيده
سوري مافي بالي امثله موفقه
  رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2011- 6- 9   #4520
heavy rain20
أكـاديـمـي ذهـبـي

الصورة الرمزية heavy rain20
الملف الشخصي:
رقم العضوية : 60104
تاريخ التسجيل: Fri Sep 2010
المشاركات: 684
عدد الـنقـاط : 55
heavy rain20 will become famous soon enough
بيانات الطالب:
الكلية: كلية الاداب
التخصص: انجليزي
المستوى: المستوى السادس
heavy rain20 غير متواجد حالياً

الحقوا يابنات لايكون بيجوبون تنترن ابي لوردسورث
  رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

« الموضوع السابق | الموضوع التالي »

الذين يشاهدون محتوى الموضوع الآن : 1 ( الأعضاء 0 والزوار 1)

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

المواضيع المتشابهه
الموضوع كاتب الموضوع المنتدى مشاركات آخر مشاركة
دبلوم اعمال مكتبية وسكرتارية في معهد فتاة هجر سعودية نت منتدى معاهد شركة هجر للتعليم و التدريب التقني 3 2011- 3- 30 08:05 AM
[ اللغة الانجليزية ] : المقبولين لغه انجليزيه ... حياكم second year E students عسولة الشرقية منتدى كلية الآداب بالدمام 6305 2011- 2- 9 02:51 AM
ياشباب ويابنات القطع في الانجليزي سلطان القصيم المستوى الأول - كلية الأداب 4 2011- 1- 8 01:27 PM